Balancing PH level in my soil Please help!!

• Thread starter 808Pakalolo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr.B

Dr.B

I slurry tested my sunshine 4 was about 6.0 if I remember right. Added some vermiculite and I think I finished at at about 6.1-6.2. been working well for me so far.

IMHO it doesn't matter which soil you use but a slurry test should be done with every soil.
I'll never miss that step again 🤣🤣🤣

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I'd like to know more about this product^
I've only had high pH once from too much Dolomite lime but it was hard to lower it
Ya i was hoping for some feedback i have some high ph in on of my pots but i'm real hesitant to do anything about it because my girl is sooo sensitive and shes at week 4 right now

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I slurry tested my sunshine 4 was about 6.0 if I remember right. Added some vermiculite and I think I finished at at about 6.1-6.2. been working well for me so far.

IMHO it doesn't matter which soil you use but a slurry test should be done with every soil. Just because the soil has the same name on the bag doesn't mean it's exactly the same each time

You know it can take a week or two for lime to activate on a dry new soil.

Pro mix measures 5.0 straight out of the bale. 6.2 after watered in a week or so.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You know it can take a week or two for lime to activate on a dry new soil.

Pro mix measures 5.0 straight out of the bale. 6.2 after watered in a week or so.
I can't see it taking that long. Atleast not I'm my experience using limestone. Are you talking slurry or pourthrough?

Some of the lime should be available immediately the rest breaks down over time.

I mean I could add limestone to a tank and within hrs the ph is up in the whole tank.

If your not getting enough runoff it will build up though. By enough I mean enough to remove an adequate amount of dissolved lime.

It should impact it right away. But yes I can see it creating a bit over time

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I can't see it taking that long. Atleast not I'm my experience using limestone. Are you talking slurry or pourthrough?

Some of the lime should be available immediately the rest breaks down over time.

I mean I could add limestone to a tank and within hrs the ph is up in the whole tank.

If your not getting enough runoff it will build up though. By enough I mean enough to remove an adequate amount of dissolved lime.

It should impact it right away. But yes I can see it creating a bit over time

I only use pour through but pro mix has this on their website and directions. They suggest unadjusted tapwater to keep ph up the first week.

Ocean forest was always 6.5 after mixing well with perlite. I never tested it until i mixed it in my soil bin.

Maybe its because it is totally dry in the bale and the fox farm is organic and has perforations so moisture get in.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Also @Aquaman. Lime may turn water ph up immediately but not the soil.

Dolomite is used for fast short term effect and calcitic for long term in pro mix. I think i have that right.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also @Aquaman. Lime may turn water ph up immediately but not the soil.

Dolomite is used for fast short term effect and calcitic for long term in pro mix. I think i have that right.
I agree.

Soil doesn't actually have a ph but the soil will influence the water ph by what dissolves into the water. The potential for the influence is dependent on what the soil has that will dissolve in water at whatever rate. If a source does is not dissolve it has no ph value

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree.

Soil doesn't actually have a ph but the soil will influence the water ph by what dissolves into the water. The potential for the influence is dependent on what the soil has that will dissolve in water at whatever rate. If a source does is not dissolve it has no ph value

Sort of?

All the elements in soil have a much more stable ph than water. Peat is like 4.0ph. Lime is 7.5 to 8ph. Thats what balances out the potting mix.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sort of?

All the elements in soil have a much more stable ph than water. Peat is like 4.0ph. Lime is 7.5 to 8ph. Thats what balances out the potting mix.
Yep I agree the elements and availability of the elements in the soil make up the potential for the pH when water is added.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

I agree.

So would watering with a bottle water like Dasani that has a Ph range of 5.5-5.8 lower PH in soil?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So would watering with a bottle water like Dasani that has a Ph range of 5.5-5.8 lower PH in soil?

No water does not change the ph of anything. Unless it is extremely hard water then its like adding a bit of limestone each time and eventually the ph will go up.

Even ph’ing with ph down doesnt alter the medium until way too much is added over time.

Phing is for nute mixture availability.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

We need to stop thinking in terms of ph and think in terms of alkalinity and buffering capacity. Ph is a result of acidic and alkaline elements. How much of these elements supplied are not taken into account when reading ph. You can have a ph of 6 with 100ppm worth of elements that when added to soil make no difference over time. But you have a ph of 6 with 10,000 ppm and it's highly likely to affect the soil pH potential pretty quickly.

Like @MIMedGrower said it would be an over time thing.

People have to understand ph is a measurement of the total acid and basic interaction. It is not a measurement that can tell you the influence capability it can have.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

No water does not change the ph of anything. Unless it is extremely hard water then its like adding a bit of limestone each time and eventually the ph will go up.

Even ph’ing with ph down doesnt alter the medium until way too much is added over time.

Phing is for nute mixture availability.
Just curious cause my well water is fairly low in PPM but has a ph of about 8.1-8.3 and i see my PH in my potted plant creeping up above 7...and that girl is giving me the middle finger....sooo moody I almost regret cutting clones off of her...thats why i was asking about that fast acting sulfer if anyone was familier with it...thanks for the Info

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is how they buffer soil. By adding enough of each acidic and basic element required to create a stable pH over time. This is why they use lime and peat. Both break down slowly and will have enough of each to lower the impact of additions.

Just for an example this is not accurate info.

You have 100ppm total of acid and basic elements. Say 50ppm acid and 50ppm alkaline. Makes ph 7

No you add 50 more ppm of alkaline that shifts ratio a lot. 100ppm alkalinity and 50ppm acidic. Shift the ph up to 8

But if you have a soil with 1000ppm 500acidic and 500 alkaline then you add 50ppm alkaline and it changes the ratio very little and the result is a oh of 7.1

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just curious cause my well water is fairly low in PPM but has a ph of about 8.1-8.3 and i see my PH in my potted plant creeping up above 7...and that girl is giving me the middle finger....sooo moody I almost regret cutting clones off of her...thats why i was asking about that fast acting sulfer if anyone was familier with it...thanks for the Info

If the potting soil was 6.2-6.5 or whatever and now its rising it more likely is how you are feeding. Rising ph may mean underfed like low ph is usually too much excess nutrients. Or calcium buildup from the water.

I have 8.0 150 ppm well water and need to use excessive runoff and flushes to remove excess calcium. If i dont it builds up with the calcium in the nutes added.

Foutwenty71

Foutwenty71

This is how they buffer soil. By adding enough of each acidic and basic element required to create a stable pH over time. This is why they use lime and peat. Both break down slowly and will have enough of each to lower the impact of additions.

Just for an example this is not accurate info.

You have 100ppm total of acid and basic elements. Say 50ppm acid and 50ppm alkaline. Makes ph 7

No you add 50 more ppm of alkaline that shifts ratio a lot. 100ppm alkalinity and 50ppm acidic. Shift the ph up to 8

But if you have a soil with 1000ppm 500acidic and 500 alkaline then you add 50ppm alkaline and it changes the ratio very little and the result is a oh of 7.1
well what started my PH paranoia again was watching a poorly made video from Greenhouse seeds on my strain SSH and there ph was more like 5.5-5.8...FAR lower than mine ...GUYS were really good though...made a gorgeous plant...and it's my understanding...could be wrong but the SSH from Mr. nice is the same from Greenhouse....???

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

well what started my PH paranoia again was watching a poorly made video from Greenhouse seeds on my strain SSH and there ph was more like 5.5-5.8...FAR lower than mine ...GUYS were really good though...made a gorgeous plant...and it's my understanding...could be wrong but the SSH from Mr. nice is the same from Greenhouse....???

Thats for pure hydro not soil or soiless.

That said 5.5-6.5 really works for everything. Unless you go by the general hydropinics ph chart commonly posted.

And that is soil ph not water ph. But we just discussed that.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What is the ppm?

Top Bottom