Ballasts & Bulbs

• Thread starter Diane11
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Diane11

Diane11

Some switchable ballasts do mh and hps bulbs, mh is supposed to be better for veg then you switch out the bulb for hps in flower.
Oh ok @DrMcSkunkins in veg, I used all cfl's, then switched over to HPS for flower. I've learned so much this first time around (still learning). I now have them in almost week 8 under a 600w HPS and they seem to be doing aright, and they look happy :) thank you! And sorry for the late response. :happy:

Diane11

Diane11

If you can still crush the stem you can bend it.
Lol!! I'm visualizing my face when I first tried bending it on top! Lol! :nailbiting: I waited too long to do it, I know that now, but yeah it was too hard on the very top, I ALMOST broke it (or it felt like I was going to) so I stopped, but I did TRY a super crop technique but made it look like a spider, remember? :shy:Lol! But they are actually looking really nice the way I did it and the buds are beauties and seem to be gettin the light they need. :) Ohhhh to be a rookie.... Next time will be different... But I am glad that my mistakes made such a difference in my mind as to how my next grow will look like :) I hope.... Lol

Diane11

Diane11

And Diane, the two plants at the back in the pic you posted above are too tall, you can bend the main stem over at 90 degrees halfway up the plant. That way the lower branches will get the same light as the top branches. It will also encourage the lower branches to grow into main cola's, and also put the plants more at the same height as the two smaller one's in the front, so they are all about the same distance from the light.

If the stem is hollow then squash it with your fingers to make it soft before you bend the main stem over, or else it will snap in two.

But if the main stem is too woody, then it will snap too, so depends how the stem is, ideally you want it to be green and flexible.

And with the 1000 W you want to be able to vent the hot air not just out of the tent, but out of the room as well, or else the tent will just be drawing in not only hot air, but also stale air which has the CO2 in it already used up by the plants.
Thanks so much for all the help! Good info!! And much appreciated! I ended up changing the 1000w to a 600w HPS as it was getting waaaay too hot in there. And I also added a 6" fan in the tent as well, so now I have an intake and outtake. Now, I've got better temps in there for sure! Gotta tell ya, all is well in the tent, for a newb anyway!:D thanks so much!!

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Lol!! I'm visualizing my face when I first tried bending it on top! Lol! :nailbiting: I waited too long to do it, I know that now, but yeah it was too hard on the very top, I ALMOST broke it (or it felt like I was going to) so I stopped, but I did TRY a super crop technique but made it look like a spider, remember? :shy:Lol! But they are actually looking really nice the way I did it and the buds are beauties and seem to be gettin the light they need. :) Ohhhh to be a rookie.... Next time will be different... But I am glad that my mistakes made such a difference in my mind as to how my next grow will look like :) I hope.... Lol

You grab the stem with your pointer finger and thumb and squeeze as hard as you can. If it collapses and feels like it crushes it then you can bend it over, if it doesn't crush then it will break if you try to bend it over.

Diane11

Diane11

You grab the stem with your pointer finger and thumb and squeeze as hard as you can. If it collapses and feels like it crushes it then you can bend it over, if it doesn't crush then it will break if you try to bend it over.
@DrMcSkunkins see being my first grow, I didn't know that at first, and I should have done all their hlstressing EARLIER and I did it in their first week of flower! All the other stems were still easy to move around but not the main one on top, it WOULD HAVE broken for sure. Ahh that's how we learn right? I'm still happy with my girls. :) But NEXT GROW... Hahahaa, I'll be stressing the sht outta them, IN VEG!! Lol!! I plan on using a trellis next time to avoid everything I've been through with these. But I have to say, it's been a great experience so far, and I don't think I'm doing too bad. Hahahaha... We'll just have to wait for my next grow to see about that ha?! Lol thanks very much for your help!!! <3

N

Nog

You can bend solid stems, the trick is to bend them slowly.

I will post a pic later of a plant with a stem as thick as your index finger, and I bent the whole stem at right angles half way up the plant, and it grew several main colas going straight up.

That one had a hollow stem, but I bend the solid branches all the time.

A woody main stem might partly snap, but keep growing, but I haven't done it on a main woody stem.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If they snap but are still mostly attached it will heal up

Diane11

Diane11

If they snap but are still mostly attached it will heal up
Ok well I won't trip out next time I do it. Thank you @DrMcSkunkins and thank you @Nog for Giving me assurance that these plants are very flexible and basically hard to really eff up unless you're a complete dumb shit! And some people are and that's ok :drunk2:Lol, this info will be very helpful to me in the future ;) you guys rock!! :kiss:

Mattchoopike

Mattchoopike

I've split the main stem during lst before it split til the top hit the media. Took some scotch tape an put it back a week later it was completely healed. Couldn't believe it. I'll dig up pics.

Diane11

Diane11

I've split the main stem during lst before it split til the top hit the media. Took some scotch tape an put it back a week later it was completely healed. Couldn't believe it. I'll dig up pics.[/QUOTE
I've split the main stem during lst before it split til the top hit the media. Took some scotch tape an put it back a week later it was completely healed. Couldn't believe it. I'll dig up pics.
oh wow... Well guess what? mine just did that! Lol, it's ok... I taped her, but damn, wasn't happy with it! Some pics would be great! Dammit dammit! I somehow like to learn the hard way @Mattchoopike :speechless:

Mattchoopike

Mattchoopike

Tape her up an slow the fans down so she ain't whipping around in wind as much an u will be shocked at how quick it heals

Diane11

Diane11

Lol ditto. Now we know how much is too much. Learned the same way w nutes
@Mattchoopike lol, yes, I suppose we do, right? I'd rather make mistakes growing weed the rest of my life than makin mistakes doing anything else! Hahaaa,... Like I've said before... I don't mind mistakes.... That is how I learn.
Anyhow, she was taped up the second I saw her snap LOL (I think it happened when I was rotating her).. Anyway, I'm hoping she pulls together soon. Thanks for taking worry out of my head for now. She'll be okay, I hope... Lol

Mattchoopike

Mattchoopike

@Mattchoopike lol, yes, I suppose we do, right? I'd rather make mistakes growing weed the rest of my life than makin mistakes doing anything else! Hahaaa,... Like I've said before... I don't mind mistakes.... That is how I learn.
Anyhow, she was taped up the second I saw her snap LOL (I think it happened when I was rotating her).. Anyway, I'm hoping she pulls together soon. Thanks for taking worry out of my head for now. She'll be okay, I hope... Lol
Exactly,if growing is the only thing we make mistakes at we doin aight. Also forgot to tell u if the wound is exposed to light then shade that area also

Diane11

Diane11

Exactly,if growing is the only thing we make mistakes at we doin aight. Also forgot to tell u if the wound is exposed to light then shade that area also
Oh okay. So the wound is pretty sealed up by the tape. I noticed this morning that the string that's holding that half was loose and then this afternoon I noticed that the string is now taut, meaning she's going back up towards the light... But lemme ask you... Am I holding her back by keeping the string on it for which was SUPPOSED to be used for LLS'ing, lol, or should I leave the string and grow as planned?? Now that I super cropped her! :cry: Geez, always something with me.. Hahahah, it's ok, I love it!

Mattchoopike

Mattchoopike

Oh okay. So the wound is pretty sealed up by the tape. I noticed this morning that the string that's holding that half was loose and then this afternoon I noticed that the string is now taut, meaning she's going back up towards the light... But lemme ask you... Am I holding her back by keeping the string on it for which was SUPPOSED to be used for LLS'ing, lol, or should I leave the string and grow as planned?? Now that I super cropped her! :cry: Geez, always something with me.. Hahahah, it's ok, I love it!
Sorry for the delay. I would leave it as is since she's already headed vertical again. That way u don't lose ur lst

Mattchoopike

Mattchoopike

All I done w mine was gave it a rest for a week prolly then went right back to training it into trellis

Diane11

Diane11

Sorry for the delay. I would leave it as is since she's already headed vertical again. That way u don't lose ur lst
Ok sounds good, no worries! Thanks for getting back to me. She's still sad and I'm still worried but I'll just have to wait a week or so and see. i was hoping for some improvement today, but same. Lol, I just need patience now but I don't have any because I feel bad for her hahaha!!!! They ARE my babies...... And I frickin dropped one on the head!! Lol thanks @Mattchoopike :) I'll keep you guys informed.

Diane11

Diane11

All I done w mine was gave it a rest for a week prolly then went right back to training it into trellis
Ah yes! The trellis. As soon as I get her put up in the new house, she's getting the trellis... We move in a week.

Top Bottom