Ballasts & Bulbs

• Thread starter Diane11
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Yeah that does make a lot of sense. Okay so I need to definitely move my fan up, change the bulb to 600 WITH a air cooling hood, and keep ballast on 50? 75? Or exchange it for the 600w ballast? JUST want to make sure.... A lot of blood, sweat, and tears involved.. Hahaaa
I would exchange it for the 600 in a 3x3 tent myself and run that at 100%,1000 is just too much in that size tent IMO.As said before hot air rises so you always want to vent from the top and pull in new cool air from the bottom,good luck!

Last edited:
Diane11

Diane11

Take the ballast out of the tent, out of the room if the cord is long enough...
Put the fan drawing air out of one of the top ports, that should help with your heat, you might not even need an air cooled hood but it will help.
Put a small oscillating fan in there circulating air.
Ok I'll put the oscillating fan back in that I used in veg. And I'm moving the inline up, actually about to do that right now. Gonna see what I can go switch out at the store too. Their very flexible and I'm working with mostly used items except for the inline, so I should be able to pull this off cheap! Thank you all for the help! You all are awesome!!

Diane11

Diane11

I would exchange it for the 600 in a 3x3 tent myself and run that at 100%,1000 is just too much IMO.As said before hot air rises so you always want to vent from the top and pull in new cool air from the bottom,good luck!
It's all making perfect sense now. I'm sure I'll be able to get things straightened up by tonight! I definitely am going to switch out the 1k! Thanks so much!!!!!!

Diane11

Diane11

I would exchange it for the 600 in a 3x3 tent myself and run that at 100%,1000 is just too much IMO.As said before hot air rises so you always want to vent from the top and pull in new cool air from the bottom,good luck!
Getting the ballast and fan out of my way will make so much more room for my trees and easier to put up the trellis too, yay!!

Diane11

Diane11

Getting the ballast and fan out of my way will make so much more room for my trees and easier to put up the trellis too, yay!!
Gosh, i don't even need one for in there ha?! Lol! Ok, maybe I'm alittle overly excited

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I would exchange it for the 600 in a 3x3 tent myself and run that at 100%,1000 is just too much in that size tent IMO.As said before hot air rises so you always want to vent from the top and pull in new cool air from the bottom,good luck!
You dont think a cooltube and large enough fan would cool the 1000 watt?

Diane11

Diane11

Well I just got back from the grow store and they let me switch out the 1k ballast for the 600, AND he gave me a 600w bulb free for the difference. Only thing is the bulb he let me have is a metal halide and I was using a HPS hortilux. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I thought HPS bulbs are better for flowering. Any thoughts? Oh, yes a cool tube is next on my list but I HAD to get this part straightened out fast

Diane11

Diane11

here is the new setup! Fan up!! Running waaay better and heat is controlled!! I'm happy!

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
here is the new setup! Fan up!! Running waaay better and heat is controlled!! I'm happy!
If you are not flowering yet or if you just started flowering you are gonna have problems if yo dont top or supercrop.
Plants double in size or more in the first few weeks of flower.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

No idea if it would cool it,dont now much about her enviro etc.I think a 600 in a 3x3 is perfect though,especially for a new grower.

Get a little cheapy digital thermometer/humidistat in there diane,then you can see the difference when you make changes and dial the enviro into where you want it.If you can keep your temps good without aircooling the light just stick with the reflector you have for awhile and grow some plants.
hgiohtj_1.jpg

Diane11

Diane11

If you are not flowering yet or if you just started flowering you are gonna have problems if yo dont top or supercrop.
I've only been less than a week in flowering. I have topped one but not the other. I wasn't sure if I did it right at first and a friend said I did it correctly so now I'll do the other one. Yes, the ballast comes with 300,400,600, and super bloom settings. I realize that I may have let it get alittle big/tall for my first time lol

Diane11

Diane11

No idea if it would cool it,dont now much about her enviro etc.I think a 600 in a 3x3 is perfect though,especially for a new grower.

Get a little cheapy digital thermometer/humidistat in there diane,then you can see the difference when you make changes and dial the enviro into where you want it.If you can keep your temps good without aircooling the light just stick with the reflector you have for awhile and grow some plants.
hgiohtj_1.jpg
Wow @fishwhistle!! I have that exact one!! Hahaa!! Nice! Thank u!!

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I've only been less than a week in flowering. I have topped one but not the other. I wasn't sure if I did it right at first and a friend said I did it correctly so now I'll do the other one. Yes, the ballast comes with 300,400,600, and super bloom settings. I realize that I may have let it get alittle big/tall for my first time lol
If you just started flowering you can just pinch the stem until it crushes and bend it over, it will curve back up towards the light and form a knuckle where you broke it. That will give you more top buds and keep it away from the light.
I would pinch it as far down as I could get the stem to crush

Diane11

Diane11

If you just started flowering you can just pinch the stem until it crushes and bend it over, it will curve back up towards the light and form a knuckle where you broke it. That will give you more top buds and keep it away from the light.
I would pinch it as far down as I could get the stem to crush
Ok will do. I did one of them because I was scared of how it would turn out, but I was told I did it right so I will do the other tomorrow as yes, this is the first week of flowering. Thanks for the advice! It is all much needed :)

Diane11

Diane11

Is it a switchable ballast?
Lol @DrMcSkunkins never saw this... Man, Sorry! Anyway, If you still care.. Hahahaha!! Yes it's 300,400,600,& SuperLumens:) sorry just didn't want u to think I didn't answer you :)

Diane11

Diane11

:happy:
Lol @DrMcSkunkins never saw this... Man, Sorry! Anyway, If you still care.. Hahahaha!! Yes it's 300,400,600,& SuperLumens:) sorry just didn't want u to think I didn't answer you :)
Oh shit, I guess I did! LMAO!!!! Stoner status! Geez.... Hahahah:banghead::happy:

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Some switchable ballasts do mh and hps bulbs, mh is supposed to be better for veg then you switch out the bulb for hps in flower.

N

Nog

And Diane, the two plants at the back in the pic you posted above are too tall, you can bend the main stem over at 90 degrees halfway up the plant. That way the lower branches will get the same light as the top branches. It will also encourage the lower branches to grow into main cola's, and also put the plants more at the same height as the two smaller one's in the front, so they are all about the same distance from the light.

If the stem is hollow then squash it with your fingers to make it soft before you bend the main stem over, or else it will snap in two.

But if the main stem is too woody, then it will snap too, so depends how the stem is, ideally you want it to be green and flexible.

And with the 1000 W you want to be able to vent the hot air not just out of the tent, but out of the room as well, or else the tent will just be drawing in not only hot air, but also stale air which has the CO2 in it already used up by the plants.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
And Diane, the two plants at the back in the pic you posted above are too tall, you can bend the main stem over at 90 degrees halfway up the plant. That way the lower branches will get the same light as the top branches. It will also encourage the lower branches to grow into main cola's, and also put the plants more at the same height as the two smaller one's in the front, so they are all about the same distance from the light.

If the stem is hollow then squash it with your fingers to make it soft before you bend the main stem over, or else it will snap in two.

But if the main stem is too woody, then it will snap too, so depends how the stem is, ideally you want it to be green and flexible.

And with the 1000 W you want to be able to vent the hot air not just out of the tent, but out of the room as well, or else the tent will just be drawing in not only hot air, but also stale air which has the CO2 in it already used up by the plants.
If you can still crush the stem you can bend it.

Top Bottom