Barneys Red Diesel Grow...

• Thread starter Rasta Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rasta Man

this is my frist grow using coco perlite mix in 18l pots.. i have 4 fem seeds germinating since yesterday.. the nutes i have now are cannazym, PK 13/14.. in the next few days il have coco A + B and rhizotonic..

when the seeds are ready to go into coco will the coco have enough nutes to feed the seedling, will ph water be enough for the first few days or weeks..

thats probably the first question of many i will be asking here.. hope use can help me along the way.. :evilgrin0040:

il post pics when i get some...

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
no nutes until the seedlings have their third set of leaves

R

Rasta Man

thats what i was thinking buy i have read through a few threads and people say to feed them from the start..

intruder

intruder

you want the ppm's around 100-150!coco and perlite offer nothing in terms of nutes, if you use r/o water you have to add something to it to get it there ,but it dont take much

my tap/city water is 120 its pretty good has all the basics in it I just add stuff that nuetralizes the chloramene/chlorine that they use to sterilize it and superthrive

S

SourPatchSwag

Barneys?

I just recently order 6 fem tangerine dream and not a single one popped. I also popped alott of other DNA, Reserva Privada, Greenhouse, Emerald Triangle, TH, Tga SUBCOOL w/ the same method and most in the same tray and had 90% or better success with every other brand. What is everyone else's experience w/ barneys? and im excited to see how you do with Red Diesel

R

Rasta Man

got up this morning and the 4 seeds were ready to go into my propagator, at the moment i like barneys lol ;)..how long are they germinating

the four seeds are in my propagator sitting beside my window with the morning sun shining on them.. gave the coco a light watering before putting the seeds in...

R

Rasta Man

my meter only reads 1.2 not ppms. whats does 120 read on my meter.. ?

R

Rasta Man

ok i googled it and 150ppm = .214

my tap water is .3 hope thats ok.. i still have to calibrate my ec meter..

S

Snow Crash

Is there some confusion in here?
Because I'm confused.

For the first 5 days after the seed has sprouted you'll want to use just water. You will probably not be required to water daily. Earlier on you want to treat the coco a little bit more like a soil media, and water every 2-4 days depending on the size of the planters and the rate of evaporation.

After they get the chance to root in and get established then you can start feeding them. Technically you're feeding the coco, which holds a charge of elements, and those elements are then made available to the plant in a kind of "high pressure / low pressure" system. I recommend something like 1ml of A, 1ml of B, and 10ml of Rhizotonic. Run that for the next 3 or so feedings until the plant starts showing you that it is ready to take off. Then you can begin increasing the strength of the A+B with each feeding until you're running about 10ml of each with the 10ml of Rhizotonic on maybe the 25th day from breaking ground.

You can then gradually back down on the Rhizotonic until you're using 2-5ml per gallon. Then you flip to flowering, switch out the Rhizotonic for Cannazym, and keep pushing that A+B.

As always you want to watch your plants. Also, with Canna nutrients you'll want to ensure a very healthy amount of runoff. I suggest 30% on the average with the occasional 20% and 40% runoff. For your first grow you'll want to test the EC of your runoff. If you find your runoff is more than 30% stronger than what you are using (suppose you are using a 1.0ec and the runoff is 1.5ec, that can be a problem) then you will want to use more of the normal strength solution to get the runoff EC reading down lower, within 30% deviance.

Pay attention to the deviances in EC. The pH will always deviate and that's not something for you to really be concerned about so long as it is not below what you are feeding (a 5.8pH solution in and a 4.8pH solution out is an issue, but 6.8pH out is nothing to worry about).

I can give you more answers if more questions are asked.

S

sfzoo

Snow, i'm curious about your insistence on 30% runnoff? What have you noticed to be most beneficial? Is it simply for reference to the EC? Or have you noticed a growth/flower benefit?

I have not watered to runoff in 2 cycles, with what I have noticed to be no ill effects.

R

Rasta Man

thanks snow some good advice there, i will have loads of question for you in the next few days..

at the moment there just getting water.. waiting for them to root..

snow whats your thoughts on giving them plain water or flushing them every third feed.. seems to be alot of talk about doing that here..when theres a 30% run off is this taking excess salts from the coco..

S

Snow Crash

Bottom line.

You add, X amount of salt based fertilizers to coco fibers, which are grown to have high salt management potential.

Your plant consumes y amount of salts from the coco.

You add X amount more.

As you add more and more salt to the mixture, while the plant requires only so much, you will eventually reach a critical desalinization tipping point where the water in the coco is so loaded with salts it can't hold them all and you get precipitates. Before reaching that point the plant will suffer from the cation exchange. Consider the coco to have a high pressure of elements. The root cells work by osmosis and as the pressure outside the plant increases so will the pressure inside the plant in an effort to reach an electrical equilibrium. If you are pushing an improper ratio of nutrients for the ever changing needs of the plant this can result in deficiency from toxicity. Usually Magnesium.

In vegetative growth I find that damn near any feeding schedule, watering schedule, etc, works in coco. So long as you don't poison them or starve them your plants will do fine. I've had runoff over 4.0ec and plants that looked lush in vegetative growth.

In flowering growth I find that it is important to watch the runoff EC of the solution you are using and running the media more hydroponic until you have a thorough conceptualization of what the media contains and what your plants require. I'll say things like "never rinse with clean water" to new growers so they maintain a constant charge of elements. In my own garden I will use clean water on my vegetative plants, without runoff, to just let them continue consuming the salts present in the media.

Coco is a versatile media, about as versatile as they come. And cannabis is a versatile plant. Many methods will work ultimately but I think most new growers are looking for a foolproof method. Sure, feeding without runoff in coco might work for you, but you are in a group of about 5% of the coco growing public who employs such a measure.

I laugh at people that talk about "washing money down the drain." You could run 6 plants in a 5x5 with 3 gallon planters on most any nutrient system for under $200. If you wash out $60 of that total, and you grow 6 perfectly healthy beasts and pulling in an easy 20oz, you never find yourself complaining about runoff or being concerned about the cost. For a first time coco grower, save yourself the trouble and run a quality system, and get that runoff. My garden on Canna was 30%. Other gardens on different systems might not need more than 15% for the right EC.

After a few grows what I do is run my coco for 4 weeks or so just watching the plants and making sure they are happy. Things usually go fine. As I enter flowering for the first 3 weeks all I'm working on is dialing in the EC, increasing the PK+Mag levels (without really moving the N+Cal ppms) and building roots with Seaweed extracts ,which help keep internode distances shorter and buds tighter also. Watch the EC the entire time is absolutely vital to plant health. Just recently I had noticed a slightly high EC runoff reading. Two days later and I see the damage from just 1.85ec runoff when 1.25ec was used. A few leaves, nothing serious and easily resolved, but proof enough to me that in my garden the meter is king.

R

Rasta Man

do i need to get some cal/mag to. im going to my local shop tomoro i want to have everything ready for when i need it...

S

Snow Crash

You will want a source of chelated iron. Cal-Mag plus is a good source, but there are others. Ask the guy at the shop to recommend something and look around to see what else they may have.

Personally, I've replaced the Rhizotonic with General Organics BioWeed and Botanicare Liquid Karma, replaced the Cannazym with Botanicare Hydroplex, and replaced PK 13/14 with Liquid KoolBloom. Boost Accelerator is best used as a foliar spray once trichomes begin to form until it is unsafe to spray. Then as a periodic root drench. I have also added Dyna-Gro Protekt Silica supplement and Advanced Nutrients Big Bud to round it all out.

What you choose to do will be different. Personally, I think Silica and a Kelp Extract are fantastic additions to the Canna Coco nutrient line but you can make up your own mind once you get a grow or two in using their complete system.

intruder

intruder

Snow Crash-excellent write up simple to the point after that a cave man should be able to do it:cake

R

Rasta Man

when i was trying to put my light up for vegging it fell and broke.. i wont get to the shop till monday.. is there anything i can do to stop them stretching.. there now up through the coco looking very pretty..

S

Snow Crash

Do what you can to get a day light spectrum cfl bulb in a lamp kept as close as 2 inches from the top of the plants.

Gotta get some light on them pronto. Build a tower of phone books and put it by your bathroom vanity... I dunno... improvise if you have ta.

R

Rasta Man

went to my local shop to get a new light, i was going to get a blue spec light but the person working in the shop told me a purple spec light would be better.. she said with the purple light the internode distances would be smaller and there would be more even growth..is this true..

the light i have now is a 125 watt eco light with 25000k purple spec..

il post pics this week, my grow area is a little messy im waiting on a tent. will have it in the next few days..

S

Snow Crash

went to my local shop to get a new light, i was going to get a blue spec light but the person working in the shop told me a purple spec light would be better.. she said with the purple light the internode distances would be smaller and there would be more even growth..is this true..

the light i have now is a 125 watt eco light with 25000k purple spec..

il post pics this week, my grow area is a little messy im waiting on a tent. will have it in the next few days..

I've never heard that... Sounds like a black light, or a UV light. Not ideal for growing with.

Careful about getting steered by hydro store people man.

Top Bottom