Basic diy worm bin.. perpetual search for perfection.

• Thread starter crimsonecho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Yeah it has its own difficulties and kudos on your approach on not poisoning animals. I think thats an unspeakable act.

I've seen the results first hand when our outdoor rat catcher died in my arms 3 years ago. One or more neighbors must have been using anticoagulant. Messed up.

20170104 072604
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I've seen the results first hand when our outdoor rat catcher died in my arms 3 years ago. One or more neighbors must have been using anticoagulant. Messed up.

My dearest friend just lost hers due to same reason. People are just dumb. And they are bad at heart! Sorry for your loss.

E

eirI

My dearest friend just lost hers due to same reason. People are just dumb. And they are bad at heart! Sorry for your loss.
Yeah seeds are very hardy. I ate peppers threw the stems with a little bit of flesh on the end and maybe 1-2 seeds and i blended the stuff in a food processor and bam after a week there is a sprout. Nature truly finds a way.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Here they are. First video is to see the cocoons. There are lots of them around. They seem happy. The second video is about consistency of it. I’m almost sure there are no food left because the temps have gone down. Its cold now. I want them to digest the peat a bit more then i’m gonna seperate and try this in my veggie garden.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Not a dirt guy but very neat. I used to breed my own food for several of the fish and pets i used to have. It's more rewarding than most think

Thanks, i found it to be very rewarding also. Saving organic material from going into dump sites where they would rot and exude all kinds of nasties was not very a good way to do things. This way i assist in the completion of the nutrient cycle and get free castings as a result. Come on whats not to like 😄

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Not a dirt guy but very neat. I used to breed my own food for several of the fish and pets i used to have. It's more rewarding than most think
Yeah it is. I use to raise micro worms in mashed potatoes, vinegar worms, fruit flies and mealworms as well as hatching brine shrimp for fish. Still have mealworms going for fishing. I bet their old bedding would work well as mulch.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
By the way here is my “leaf compost”. Its basically a lot of leaf from prior grows breaking down inside a fermentation bucket. Tomatoes, cucumbers, artichokes, sage, cannabis etc etc. mixed with soil from prior grow. So there is a good bit of roots in there too. Swear there were lots of leaves in there when i started it a week ago :)

Today added my trim from this grow. Fan leaves, sugar leaves, budlets etc. and after about a week i’m gonna use this as my bedding. Worms have a week left in that mix. I’m gonna harvest soon.

76B78882 5428 4D71 94C5 067BBF44A799

Last edited:
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
The bucket looks like its done. The colour is black, smell is earthy, consistency is good! I mixed some leaf compost and some slurry to lure them into this burlap sac.

82452B17 6E18 4A0E ABAF 2A4DD6958F16

Now we wait!

C0079DA7 AC1A 446A BA97 E81656895DA5

The feed consists of;

-carrots
-oats
-tea
-espresso
-aloe vera
-abv
-de

E

eirI

Here they are. First video is to see the cocoons. There are lots of them around. They seem happy. The second video is about consistency of it. I’m almost sure there are no food left because the temps have gone down. Its cold now. I want them to digest the peat a bit more then i’m gonna seperate and try this in my veggie garden.
View attachment 871462
View attachment 871461
Very nice

Latest posts

Top Bottom