Basic Growing quiz!

• Thread starter chuck uuuuu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chuck uuuuu

I know what it can be to be like a total newbie!
We were all there at some point in farming, some not so much and like a dense bud full of seeds we are unable to see that we may have bud with no seeds and the ability to mend u far and wide.

These few questions I hope makes some think, and investigate here.
1. what is Ph and why keep it constant? is it important?
2. what do nutes do? Do nutes need 2 be Set for the hight of my plant?
3. what is SHOCK? Can Ph shock my plants into no growth?

Thank you for all the Questions & Answers All Farmers contribute if their as dense as I am! :lock:

urbanite420

urbanite420

1. pH is possibly the most important factor to growing a great crop. Light and nutrition are also of extreme importance. pH is a calculation of the concentration of H+ ions (any ion that is positively charged and capable of accepting electrons is an acid) in solution. pH stands for "power of hydrogen," as in 10 to the power of a negative pH value -- this will give you the actual concentration of H+. Sounds counter-intuitive but the math behind it explains it all. Simplified, pH is calculated by taking the negative log of the concentration of H+. H+ comes from your starting material usually a weak acid -solid or liquid - as we generally use buffer systems (that would also contain a weak base) in nutrient solutions. Buffer solutions are another story... Concentration is calculated after weighing it out on a scale and added it to your volume of water. Strong acids or bases are used to adjust pH in buffer systems.

It is important to keep pH relatively stable. In hydroponic grows optimal pH, imo, is 5.3-5.4. In this range you have maximum availability of all your macronutrients and some micronutrients. Sometimes I allow my pH to swing from 5.0 to 5.5 to allow whatever micronutrients that were not as available at higher pH to be more avaiable at a slightly lower pH. I use the AN Sensi 2-part and AN says the optimal pH is 5.6, but fuck that. Sorry.

2. Nutes drive and support all the metabolic processes in the plant, and beneficial microbes if you have them. Nutes need to be set according to the developmental stage of the plant (if that's what you mean by height)

3. Shock is the result of extreme stress on the plant. Excesseive heat, nutes transplanting as some examples can cause shock in a plant. Yes, a maladjusted pH can shock your plants into no growth and death.

urbanite420

urbanite420

Sorry SkyHi, but I'm from the "power" school, I know there's a bit of controverys on that p issue

lol ;)

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

urbanite420 - What kind of media are you using at your PH range?

C

chuck uuuuu

Observe extreme caution while foliar feeding any plants around exposed lamps. I suggest turning off any fans and ventilation while spraying the plants, any water blown onto an exposed, burning lamp can cause it to explode in your face. Be safe:fighting0040:

Top Bottom