basic question about mycho, trich and molasses

• Thread starter 420Gator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Gator

420Gator

ive had 20 gal mixed nute solution sitting steadily for a few days (with a huge airstone) at 1000 ppm 5.8ph about 24 hours ago i added like 6 tsp of ZHO and 4 tbsp hi brix molasses. today when i checked the ppm was down to 950 and the ph fell way down to 3.8

is this norml?

does the ph up kill the bacteria?

does the huge ph swing kill them?

B

bonerface

My gh flora nutes kinda do this to me. I grow in soil and when I mix my nutes all up I ph them and sometimes I will forget and go do other random crap in my house. When I come back, what used to read 6.5 will always be different. Lower and or higher by a few points. I used to think it was my meter but that is dialed and I checked it with calibration fluid. Also, I can measure my nutes to 6.5. Throw on the cap shake for another minute or so and it will be slightly off again! WTF!

I just try to use mine asap after I measure and correct ph. Not sure if anyone else had had this issue with the gh line or if its known for that but mine tends to be super finikey

420Gator

420Gator

My gh flora nutes kinda do this to me. I grow in soil and when I mix my nutes all up I ph them and sometimes I will forget and go do other random crap in my house. When I come back, what used to read 6.5 will always be different. Lower and or higher by a few points. I used to think it was my meter but that is dialed and I checked it with calibration fluid. Also, I can measure my nutes to 6.5. Throw on the cap shake for another minute or so and it will be slightly off again! WTF!

I just try to use mine asap after I measure and correct ph. Not sure if anyone else had had this issue with the gh line or if its known for that but mine tends to be super finikey

i like to let mine sit atleast for 24 hours, id rather the ph be done fluctuating before i feed the girls not while the roots are sucking it up

i was just wondering if all the ph up is bad for the bacteria???

thanks for the reply

budboy299

budboy299

all the PH up that I have come across is Caustic Potash. This is potassium hyroxide mixed with water. It is commonly known as lye.

I cannot imagine it is good for bacteria in any way. Could be wrong in this but, I cannot imagine something that caustic as being good to living things.

420Gator

420Gator

all the PH up that I have come across is Caustic Potash. This is potassium hyroxide mixed with water. It is commonly known as lye.

I cannot imagine it is good for bacteria in any way. Could be wrong in this but, I cannot imagine something that caustic as being good to living things.

thats what i was thinking just checked again and the ph has once again dropped so it was probly useless trying this out as im gonna have to ph up again

420Gator

420Gator

the ppm continues to drop as well.....

down to 860 now

whers my ppm going and whys the ph dropping so fast?

L

Lost

If your ppm is droping and your ph is doing the same, you have a ton of bacteria in there! Too much probablly.

420Gator

420Gator

If your ppm is droping and your ph is doing the same, you have a ton of bacteria in there! Too much probablly.

lost thanks man i was wondering if anyone would understand the question lol

M

Mmmmasonite

Yeah ....usually.....the ph goes up throughout the week....that is pretty normal.......Never had it go down....that is some great info though....Too much bacteria drives ph down......huh......interesting.......Thanx Lost.....peace

S

swampweed

I would say it may be your bacteria count causing the fluctuations,as different types cause different reactions with the nutes,some are aerobic,needing oxygen to survive and some are anerobic,not needing oxygen,in these we find also some take out nitrates and phosphates and some add them in the form of protein conversion,which will cause a drop or a rise in your ph,

M

Mmmmasonite

I would say it may be your bacteria count causing the fluctuations,as different types cause different reactions with the nutes,some are aerobic,needing oxygen to survive and some are anerobic,not needing oxygen,in these we find also some take out nitrates and phosphates and some add them in the form of protein conversion,which will cause a drop or a rise in your ph,

Weeeeerd? That's some heavy sh*t..............Boy's gettin his schoolwork on!...................Thanx for the info.................Peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
ive had 20 gal mixed nute solution sitting steadily for a few days (with a huge airstone) at 1000 ppm 5.8ph about 24 hours ago i added like 6 tsp of ZHO and 4 tbsp hi brix molasses. today when i checked the ppm was down to 950 and the ph fell way down to 3.8

is this norml?

does the ph up kill the bacteria?

does the huge ph swing kill them?
You caused a bacterial bloom, which in turn caused pH to drop (fairly precipitously, too, I wouldn't be surprised if they're mostly dead now). I don't know how much of a shift these groups of microbes can take, but eventually, yes, a shift large enough will absolutely kill them. And if it doesn't kill one group of microbes (the myco you mention means to me mycorrhizae, which are fungi, not bacteria) it most certainly will kill another. But to quantify any of these statements well would require a microscope and start/end counts.

If you raise the pH with something like dolomitic lime, yes, it will dissolve and it will raise pH and it should also keep it there because it adds alkalinity, then everything ought to be alright.
the ppm continues to drop as well.....

down to 860 now

whers my ppm going and whys the ph dropping so fast?
The microbes are eating the molecules that can be measured via conductivity. PPM is simply a conversion of microSiemens/milliSiemens (uS/cm). Organic molecules are not all conductive the way chemical salts are, so when you're measuring ppm you're really not getting any sort of accurate picture of anything except whatever molecules can conduct electricity.

With me so far?

So, the microbes are eating and they're probably eating what you're measuring. And then, when they poop it out, you can no longer measure it using ppm/EC. You might be able to measure it as NO3, but right now outside of NH4 input I doubt it. Either way, you've cultured yourself a nice mass of microbes and they're eating to their heads.

S

sfzoo

lot of interesting ideas in here...trying to wrap my head around it..

seamaiden, does the microb poop have any ill/beneficial effects? if so, would the nute solution be similar to a tea?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's all ABOUT the microbe poo! Especially nitrifiers, they give us NO3 (nitrate, Mary's favorite form of nitrogen). Mineralization into tissues (taking nutrients into their own bodies) is the first basic step of making bio-available, plant-available food.

Yes, to my eyes it is a tea. Whether it's a nutrient tea or a microbe tea, I won't say without knowing just how active it is.

I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a microscope, aren't I?

M

MediMary

Hey sea, since roots excel is a benefical bacteria it seems you could use a little to culture up a lot, I notice that roots excel has a light nutrient mix in it any thoughts on this?
I was thinking the nutrients n the bottle might feed the microbes, and nutrients might be needed to further culture up more of the RE....

Its interesting to me that RE has a three shelf life compared to most other products.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sure, why not? As long as you don't mind getting other stuff in there, like the yeastie-beasties we still have floating around here, when you're making the culture. It's difficult to say that can or cannot be done factually without having a microscope to actually take body counts, before and after.

Latest posts

Top Bottom