BBQ & Smoker Enthusiast Thread..

• Thread starter Tex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
What's up fellas.. I wondered if there's anyone else here a family/amateur/novice/hardcore bbq & meat smoker? Participate in events?

We've taken many a first in brisket, ribs, chicken, pork butt, and fajitas.. So I'm here to teach ya "Texas" style bbq. So no matter where you are located, you can smoke up any meat and delight family & friends. I'm here to share award winning tips, secrets, recipes, and pics of all things smoked & bbq.. I might be able to answer any questions you have, too. Interested??

Please share with us all, too. If anyone has pics or recipes, share. I'd love to come up with a few new recipes from far corners of the world.

Warning!! If your stoned and have the madd munchies, LOOK AWAY!! You have been WARNED.

winta

winta

sounds good to me bro! i loooooove cookin bbq....i make my sauce from scratch nothin special really just tasty lol and i also put a nice rub together but ive never smoked my stuff before....i would love to pick your brain bro please share!

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Pork Butt..

Past sessions.. Oak smoked.. Super nice bark.. Black is not burnt but bark from spraying Apple Juice on it every hour or so.. ;)

Pork Butt smoked.. Brown sugar rub..

IMG 1648 1
IMG 1646 1
IMG 1647 1
T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Brisket..

Last weekend's brisket. We only use oak to smoke our meats. This brisket rub had a very light brown sugar content to it with other spices. Once again not burnt at all.. Amazin' bark.. 1/3 Apple Juice, 1/3 oil, and 1/3 beef broth is used and sprayed on the brisket every hour or so. ;)

Melt in the mouth like butter. Sides were smoked beans and potato salad.. :rock Hungry yet?

IMG 1660
IMG 1667
IMG 1670
IMG 1674
IMG 1679
IMG 1688
IMG 1718
IMG 1723
IMG 1726
IMG 1728
IMG 1730
IMG 1736
IMG 1743
P

primeform

holy shit that looks good tex! I bought a Traeger BBQ smoker for up at my ranch last year. You can burn different kinds of pellets for different flavors. Really into ribs, tri tip, and hamburgers on it.

http://www.traegergrills.com/

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
ummmmm hungry already :)

Haha.. me too bro.... I'm up right now smokin' a fat brisket & a fat bowl. I gots peeps coming over tomorrow and I have to feed them. I put this one on at 11pm tonight and it'll be pulled tomorrow afternoon for lunch.. We can watch it go from raw to smoked in oh, 15 hrs or so.. :rock

Around here we love a good midnight bbq session. Fat blunt rolled and a Crown & Sprite poured.. ahhhhh.. :lock:

IMG 2095
IMG 2098
IMG 2102
winta

winta

sounds like my kind of late night party!

Haha.. me too bro.... I'm up right now smokin' a fat brisket & a fat bowl. I gots peeps coming over tomorrow and I have to feed them. I put this one on at 11pm tonight and it'll be pulled tomorrow afternoon for lunch.. We can watch it go from raw to smoked in oh, 15 hrs or so.. :rock

Around here we love a good midnight bbq session. Fat blunt rolled and a Crown & Sprite poured.. ahhhhh.. :lock:

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
holy shit that looks good tex! I bought a Traeger BBQ smoker for up at my ranch last year. You can burn different kinds of pellets for different flavors. Really into ribs, tri tip, and hamburgers on it.

http://www.traegergrills.com/

Yeah bro, they make great pits.. Congrats.. IMO, any pit is a great pit tho.. As long as smoke is in the air.. It's all good.. We use a pit by JJ and a Gator pit down here for competitions and large scale events. I have a small cheap off set barrel smoker that I use for the home here on the farm. It doesn't eat up too much fuel and hold the temps actually decent. ummmm.. yummmm.. ribs.. now you're talkin.. We love us some ribs, too. man o man..

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
I wish someone would of told me about this when I first started.. So here ya go.. Best product that I've bought for my smoker.. Hands down..

The best remote wireless thermometer in the biz.. ;) It tells what the grill & meat temps are at all times. Go sit on the couch, smoke a fatty, and watch tv.. No more worries.. It has parameter alarms to alert/wake if ya need. I fill my smoker with coal & wood and go to bed. It'll wake me if temps are out of parameters, normally after 6-7 hours I have to refuel pending on wind and temps.. :rock

Maverick Industries ET-73 RediChek Remote Wireless Smoker Thermometer

They now have a new one called ET-732 which is even better..

41XV8Q7N89L SL500 AA300
T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Well I have more pics, tips and tricks for ya'll, but I'm off for now.. If ya'll need anything, rub recipes, cooking temps, or wood suggestions, ask away..

winta

winta

Rub recipes and temps please ;)

well i have more pics, tips and tricks for ya'll, but i'm off for now.. If ya'll need anything, rub recipes, cooking temps, or wood suggestions, ask away..

E

E.T.

if ur smokin', keep it @ 225.........slow and low my brotha. as for the rubs, pretty much anything you like to season with, plus a little brown sugar and some heat
i'll dig out a few of my pops stuff... :)

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Brisket.. 11 hrs later..

Here we go fellas.. I woke up this morning at 9 when the alarm when off and checked the cow on the smoker. It looks perfect. Nice bark from apple/oil/broth spray used.. I have a fat ass bowl of Chemdog D loaded and getting F'd up.. It still needs several more hours..

IMG 2104
E

E.T.

damn tex, mad skills bro. i love me some fine smoked meats. my pops and i used to do a lot of it, but i don't see him too often now......living out west sure has stifled my 'meat-a-tude'.

Cort

Cort

That brisket looks great. Some day I will be able to make mine look that good. Dont have many pics of my smokes but got a few of various grubs.

ham.JPG

Got a good deal on a pair of raw hams one day. Tossed the pair in the smoker for 12-14hrs with apple wood and hickory. Cant recall what I rubbed with.

Got no pics of all the smoked chickens and turkeys I have done. I stuff the birds with garlic, onion, apple, celery, sprigs of fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and what ever else wants to go in.

I do dessert too.
lemon.jpg
IMG_02211.jpg

Lemon Meringue. I cheated and used store crust.

cream.jpg

Strawberry cream puffs, with even the cream and caramel is from scratch.

I do this just for the love of food and the love of cooking.

S

saner1r

Fuck I just got up smoked a bowl and now you all are making me hungry!

Cort.. Looks bomb!:

Tex.. Nice looking Brisket.
Out here in Cali we do Tri Tip instead, not sure why I love a good Brisket.
It seems unless you can find a Smart & Final close Brisket is not around very much. Wow thats almost like some of the old 80's & 90's stains.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter

Fa sure bro...Recipes will come in a bit.. ;)

You can smoke anywhere from 200-300F range and the meat will not know a difference really, now I say that timidly.. Ideal range is 225-275 for large cuts of beef and pig & ribs, too.. But once again if it swings up and down a bit it's all good.

There are just a few things to think about:

PLAN AHEAD!!!!! IT TAKES ABOUT 1.25/1.5/2 HRS PER LB OF MEAT TO COOK AN FINISH OFF A BUTT OR BRISKET.

0. Buy only untrimmed brisket and pork butt, do not cut anything off. For ribs take the membrane off the back first. Pry a fork handle under the skin and bone to release that nasty film..

0.0. You can use either mustard or oil to act as a "glue" for your rub to stick to the meats more, and also the lipids in the oil "activates" spices as well. Traditional Texas bbq does not use any mustard at all. We do not use it.. Some do tho.. :evilgrin0040: I prefer an oil rub down first and then rub.

0.1. Place you meat FAT SIDE DOWN..FAT ALWAYS BETWEEN MEAT & HEAT!!! ALWAYS!! Don't believe the bs about fat dripping down and basting your meat.. Never do it.. Makes meat ugly, takes rub off, and doesn't do any good but dry meat out..

1. Keep large cuts moist by spraying every hour+ with apple juice, broth and/or oil mixed, depending on what meat ya smoking. Pork butts we only use apple juice/apple cider. Brisket we use apple juice/oil/beef broth.

2. We use water pans under our meats to provide moisture in the smoke so the meat does not dry up. Just fill a few cheap alum pans with water or beer to provide moisture.

3. If you are smoking more than 2hrs use a less resinous wood, no mesquite. We only use oak wood/chips/chunks & lump coal only when we smoke our meat.

4. Google "Minion method" on how to make a fire last for 6+hrs in a smoker using lump coal only.

5. If ya can, buy yourself a leave in meat thermometer so it can always tell ya what temps you're running.

6. You will always always always run into a temperature plateau. Normally it's around 155-165f and the meat will just sit there hung in that one temp spot for hours.. Don't worry and do anything. Keep temps steady and it will eventually over come the plateau. This temp plateau is where the fat and cartilage breaks down to butter.

7. We pull our meats from the grill at diff temps pending on what we're cookin' and what we want to eat.

Brisket
Slices-190-195F
Chopped-195-200+

Pork Butt
Pulled Pork-190-195F
Shredded Pork-195-200+

8. When the meat reaches temps you want we pull and wrap in foil if it's not already, and then we wrap in towels and put in ice chest-minus the ice, for hours to rest, or place in UNLIT oven. It needs to rest at least 2+ hours..

9. They say to cut the brisket across the grain, but if you cook it right you won't have to worry about tenderness. It'll just melt in your mouth..,

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
That brisket looks great. Some day I will be able to make mine look that good. Dont have many pics of my smokes but got a few of various grubs.

ham.JPG

Got a good deal on a pair of raw hams one day. Tossed the pair in the smoker for 12-14hrs with apple wood and hickory. Cant recall what I rubbed with.

Got no pics of all the smoked chickens and turkeys I have done. I stuff the birds with garlic, onion, apple, celery, sprigs of fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and what ever else wants to go in.

I do dessert too.
lemon.jpg
IMG_02211.jpg

Lemon Meringue. I cheated and used store crust.

cream.jpg

Strawberry cream puffs, with even the cream and caramel is from scratch.

I do this just for the love of food and the love of cooking.

Hell yeah bro.. THank you sooo much for posting.. I too am a food enthusiast and enjoy gettin' blasted and cookin' it up.. Can you post that recipe for that strawberry cream puffs? My gal is dying to try that bro.. GReat job..

Top Bottom