Becoming A Licensed Grower In The Us

• Thread starter MrBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrBlue

MrBlue

Im from Ireland, and new to growing cannabis. I decided to start growing because I was sick of having to go to shady street dealers for my supply, and the Prices here are just ridiculous. Your talking €50 for 2 grams of bud, usually with one giant stem thrown into it for weight. Not knowing what type of strain your buying ethier. Hopefully next summer I will take a trip to the states and see how its done there. My plan is to learn as much as I can here within the next 12 months before I have the money and all the travel papers ready. Where would you folks recommend the best and most cannabis friendly state, or a place that offers employment growing it commercially. Is it difficult to get licensed as a grower, or how would one go about it.

Thanks

X.rm

X.rm

Im from Ireland, and new to growing cannabis. I decided to start growing because I was sick of having to go to shady street dealers for my supply, and the Prices here are just ridiculous. Your talking €50 for 2 grams of bud, usually with one giant stem thrown into it for weight. Not knowing what type of strain your buying ethier. Hopefully next summer I will take a trip to the states and see how its done there. My plan is to learn as much as I can here within the next 12 months before I have the money and all the travel papers ready. Where would you folks recommend the best and most cannabis friendly state, or a place that offers employment growing it commercially. Is it difficult to get licensed as a grower, or how would one go about it.

Thanks
You can pursue an online degree on many sites even a "master growers" certificate. I dont know how much good it will actually do as far as getting hired is concerned but you will definitely gain knowledge. If you apply for a job at a dispensary be prepared to get payed almost minimum wage. IMHO, the best place is a state with recreational use approved like Colorado. There will be a higher demand for employees. There are a couple of actual physical locations where you can go for classes. One is in Michigan thats really good I've been told and oaksterdam university in California. You can find pretty much all the info your looking for online. Best of luck to you.

M

MamaBear

Come to COLORADO!! Of course I'm biased (I live in the Denver metro area) but we've got the best/most businesses going so far. To work at any of the weed shops here, you'll need a state MED badge (Marijuana Enforcement Division). You get this from the State of Colorado. Basically they do a background check on you. You need to be a resident (show your new driver's license) and these requirements:
  • Are at least 21 years old.
  • Have never been convicted of a felony related to the possession, distribution, or use of any controlled substance.
  • Have not served a sentence, including probation or parole, of any felony in the last five years.
  • Are not a licensed physician making patient recommendations.
  • Have never had your authority to act as a primary caregiver revoked by the state.
  • Are not the spouse or child, living in the house with any employee of the MED.
  • Are not a police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or prosecuting officer.
  • Are not an officer or employee of the marijuana state licensing authority or a local licensing authority.

Once you get your badge, you can apply at any/all weed shops. No one will hire you without it!

BudBogart

BudBogart

There are currently huge differences between growing commercially and,growing for your own medical ( now recreational in a couple states) needs.
Unless you are the master grower or the big money guy you are basically agricultural labor or a retail clerk in a store that happens to deal with a product that you enjoy. Nothing wrong with that, but be realistic. Being a commercial grower...there are people that have already been growing cannabis for years, albeit feloniously, who have jumped into the legal grow market bringing their years of experience growing bug free, beautifully cured and trimmed buds selling to dispensaries who buy low and sell high.
Being in one of the many places where you can privately, legally grow your own very good quality buds without fear of prison...priceless. If that's your intent and desire come on over!

N

noone88

You are planning to immigrate to the US and you want to work legally? That is a long process yo.

xavier7995

xavier7995

You may want to see what you can find in CA.

Moving to CO to make a legal living in mj is not a great idea if you are planning to reside in the denver metro area. Unless you are very very experienced at growing or management, its retail wages in a city with very high rents. Other places in the state besides denver might work. That said, its a great and amazing city and CO is awesome overall. It would be a great place to come for a visit to see how its done in a fully legal and compliant way, and by all means if you can find a way to support yourself Denver is great. They are very friendly regarding tourists, just take your passport with you to use as an ID assuming you are over 21.

Not trying to be discouraging, just lots of people move here for obvious reasons...but they wind up homeless or in otherwise tough positions pretty quick. Come visit and see if you like it, CO has so much to offer as a destination.

It is really easy to get the MED badge. The hardest part would be finding a place to rent (you need to establish residency) without first having a job, obviously you can get around that though. One thing you might want to think about is bartending, irish pubs are rather popular and they like to hire native irish for the accent, would pay significantly better than a mj related gig. No clue on the validity of the statement, but have heard that some chains (titled kilt i think) will help with work visas.

MrBlue

MrBlue

Thanks for all the info guys. Within the next year or two I definitely want to visit the states. Obviously I need more experience and a visit to there first before making any decisions is a must. Colorado looks nice though.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I think quite a few more states will legalize in the coming years so the options would expand.

CO is great though and a good visit, mountains and such:)

MrBlue

MrBlue

I think quite a few more states will legalize in the coming years so the options would expand.

CO is great though and a good visit, mountains and such:)
Same thing needs to happen here, but isnt really a hot topic with the government right now

Top Bottom