Beds Are For F***ing! Small Pots = Big Buds!

• Thread starter Prime C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NFT

NFT

Iws flood and drain has trumped any nft I have ever used maybe worth a little look top tip though make sure your surface is even and stick a little ata clean in your res from time to time to clean the switches in the brain pot :)

i ran flood and drain when i started growing it was unnecessary complications imo dwc not much better,
anyway thanks for the advice pal

NFT is the way to go for high yields quality and simplicity in my experience

to make up for the lack of pictures of monsters in coco
i only started taking pictures myself about 10 years ago, anyway this one yielded 26 oz i think it turned out better than the haze, quicker finish and it looks more neat
67-jpg.547474

i have quite a few pictures of plants over 1lb i would post them all but it might take up too much space here
perhaps ill start a thread

peace

NFT

NFT

Lol @NFT smashes it like no other I've seen with nft. His plants are 95% bud

Thanks pal, i would always say the system makes little difference in comparison to the genetics
while some systems may give a slight advantage in yield speed etc its minuscule overall
the genetics are always the star of the show

if your interested lots of pics of plants here grown in NFT
www.tinyurl.com/NFTBUDS
the lovely chris shortreed maintains a picture thread for me at trollitup

peace

Limonene

Limonene

Thanks pal, i would always say the system makes little difference in comparison to the genetics
while some systems may give a slight advantage in yield speed etc its minuscule overall
the genetics are always the star of the show

if your interested lots of pics of plants here grown in NFT
www.tinyurl.com/NFTBUDS
the lovely chris shortreed maintains a picture thread for me at trollitup

peace
agreed, genetics are the most important ingredient. Ya cant polish a turd.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Genetics are most important, but methods really matter a lot too. Sour Diesel was my heavy hitter before, but in current build absolutely sucked. Larf only, tiny branches everywhere.

Pruning is underrated IMO. The better I prone the better the colas to larf ratio, among other factors too.

Still convinced 1g coco cloth beats larger, and running tests this round again. Bigger cloth pots (3g) for biggest plants, and they get most bulbs. Curious, but last time 1g was winning before I had a disaster and had to cut down in week 5.
Great thread. Nice work, @NFT .... I followed your links, checked your techniques and gear. Great work. If I wasnt massively invested in time/learning in small pot cloth coco drain to waste, I might try your method... but Id rather watch for now and fine tune my methods til I get it better. But your work is stellar.

NFT

NFT

Genetics are most important, but methods really matter a lot too. Sour Diesel was my heavy hitter before, but in current build absolutely sucked. Larf only, tiny branches everywhere.

Pruning is underrated IMO. The better I prone the better the colas to larf ratio, among other factors too.

Still convinced 1g coco cloth beats larger, and running tests this round again. Bigger cloth pots (3g) for biggest plants, and they get most bulbs. Curious, but last time 1g was winning before I had a disaster and had to cut down in week 5.
Great thread. Nice work, @NFT .... I followed your links, checked your techniques and gear. Great work. If I wasnt massively invested in time/learning in small pot cloth coco drain to waste, I might try your method... but Id rather watch for now and fine tune my methods til I get it better. But your work is stellar.

I am not selling anything pal, i post my grows to help with my short term memory problems
if you are happy with the results from your system why change it?

i have used various hydro systems not much difference imo, i use NFT because its simple and cheap and the pumps are quiet

i do not think NFT is much better than DWC, if i were growing DWC my plants would look just as healthy
i think people are chasing something that is not real, trying to find a system that is so much better than other systems
thinking they can find an edge

this is why i stick with the NFT and keep changing the genetics, folk are underestimating how much better some plants are
for vigor yield taste potency etc, the most genetically superior plant will be vastly ahead of the regulars
more so than anything you could add or grow differently to the regular plants to make them catch up with the genetically superior

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I am not selling anything pal, i post my grows to help with my short term memory problems
if you are happy with the results from your system why change it?

i have used various hydro systems not much difference imo, i use NFT because its simple and cheap and the pumps are quiet

i do not think NFT is much better than DWC, if i were growing DWC my plants would look just as healthy
i think people are chasing something that is not real, trying to find a system that is so much better than other systems
thinking they can find an edge

this is why i stick with the NFT and keep changing the genetics, folk are underestimating how much better some plants are
for vigor yield taste potency etc, the most genetically superior plant will be vastly ahead of the regulars
more so than anything you could add or grow differently to the regular plants to make them catch up with the genetically superior
Didnt say you're a salesman, bro. I had asked you your specifics and you linked for me. All good man. I know you're not shilling.

Your results are outstanding, and I looked into your technique and considered following your lead, before I checked myself.
xD

All good. The nutes you run look intriguing. Old buddy of mine has done NFT a long time. Ive seen it work. Different layout from yours, though. Your plants are bigger by far.

Do you defoliate in bloom?

NFT

NFT

Didnt say you're a salesman, bro. I had asked you your specifics and you linked for me. All good man. I know you're not shilling.

Your results are outstanding, and I looked into your technique and considered following your lead, before I checked myself.
xD

All good. The nutes you run look intriguing. Old buddy of mine has done NFT a long time. Ive seen it work. Different layout from yours, though. Your plants are bigger by far.

Do you defoliate in bloom?

Thanks mate, the nutes i am using at the moment are similar to all the rest imo, i would use canna also
vitalink is cheaper
the cheapest of all that has a brand name i have heard of is optimum made by growth tec, folk who make clonex
this is a little bit cheaper than vitalink for 20l its £85 vitalink is £105,
expensive food is about 2 -3 x the price

vitalink changed their formula recently so that it now has a horrible thick brown appearance like many of them have had for years (gh micro) i hate this stuff it makes so much mess when it drips makes all the nute solution look red/brown too, i do not know why they bother adding that shit, might switch to another one that has the clear/golden appearance to the solution

if your interested, vitalink now print the analysis on the back
optimum too for comparison

image.php

i remove growth at all stages, i thin them out, removing the thinner shoots, keeping the thicker branches
i remove a fair bit of bottom growth, some of the larger leaves that have red stems or very long stems
connected to the main stem

i keep most of the small leaves or leaves that directly come out of a cola or have a very small stem
overall i try to keep as many leaves as possible that are all healthy but also try to avoid too much overlap of leaves

peace

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I've been experimenting with 1 gal pots ever since I saw a 1 gal plant in veg grow larger than one (same age) that I had flipped in a 2 gal pot in the same amount of time.

What I've noticed so far is the margin of error gets waaaay smaller when using the smaller pots. I went and got root rot from fungus gnats and poor irrigation management and it took them longer to bounce back, and they're still not 100% but they're halfway thru flower now so ain't shit to do but keep up on antagonistic microbe inoculations.

The next round is already vegging and I'm using a tensiometer to make irrigation decisions with them (I started a thread about this specifically) and the growth is spectacular. I'm quite confident I can match/beat the yields I've been getting from two gal pots with 5.5inch ones. I suppose I'll put up some pics at some point to document this.

So I guess a loose conclusion would be the smaller the pots, the closer to true hydro, and the quicker the consequences of mismanagement that come with it.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I've been experimenting with 1 gal pots ever since I saw a 1 gal plant in veg grow larger than one (same age) that I had flipped in a 2 gal pot in the same amount of time.

What I've noticed so far is the margin of error gets waaaay smaller when using the smaller pots. I went and got root rot from fungus gnats and poor irrigation management and it took them longer to bounce back, and they're still not 100% but they're halfway thru flower now so ain't shit to do but keep up on antagonistic microbe inoculations.

The next round is already vegging and I'm using a tensiometer to make irrigation decisions with them (I started a thread about this specifically) and the growth is spectacular. I'm quite confident I can match/beat the yields I've been getting from two gal pots with 5.5inch ones. I suppose I'll put up some pics at some point to document this.

So I guess a loose conclusion would be the smaller the pots, the closer to true hydro, and the quicker the consequences of mismanagement that come with it.
Outstanding~! I've observed the same, and the 1g in the corner with least light and air had the thickest stem, was 5' when I had to cut down.
Went camping, filled fresh, full irrigation barrel - told myself at least 4 times do NOT forget to plug pump back into short cycle timer. While away. During summer. After recently dialing bulbs up from 600w to 1050w 'Boost' mode. But used disaster to make a large number of very overdue improvements and really solve issues that vexed me many grows. When life gives you lemons, paint that shit gold.

Convinced smaller pots perform like hydro-esque, as you stated. Better feeder root breathing, more waterings, no taproots, no circling roots, etc. That Instagram guy with like 4 # trees in tiny dtw 1g pots sitting on floor opened my eyes. My larger pots never perform as well, to date. But still observing....

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

But used disaster to make a large number of very overdue improvements and really solve issues that vexed me many grows. When life gives you lemons, paint that shit gold.

I had some similar disasters last year. Went on vacation, came home to a house full of dead plants, guy watching em just decided to not even look at them for 6 days...

Then broad mites for the better part of 6 months until I figured out what to do.

But goddamn I learned a lot from starting over all those times in such a short span, made a great deal of improvements as well.

Who's the guy on ig you're referring to? Id like to check that out.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I had some similar disasters last year. Went on vacation, came home to a house full of dead plants, guy watching em just decided to not even look at them for 6 days...

Then broad mites for the better part of 6 months until I figured out what to do.

But goddamn I learned a lot from starting over all those times in such a short span, made a great deal of improvements as well.

Who's the guy on ig you're referring to? Id like to check that out.
That sucks. Reinforces your point, and why I dont do DWC, UC, any hydro, aeroponics. Too unforgiving of mistakes. Sure, yields can be massive. But Ive read reports of a lot of guys trying all that, experienced and spending good on gear, and mostly going back away from those methods. Seems no one really remembers the big yield rounds that bang, just the disasters, slime, mistakes, failed expensive worthless rounds is the only thing that they remember, and its bitter.

Coco small pot seems like the best of all worlds. Short cycle timer irrigation drip collars with a light nute ppm feed barrel for regular, small waterings (I also add probiotics to barrel - Veg+Bloom +Life, Great White, Caps, enzymes, Mammoth, etc) so they never dry out and get that big growth from the numerous multifeeds.
Now Im supplementing with hand watering Nectar for the Gods, will get back to Advanced schedule as I get the rest of the bottles. Calcium based, pre-digested/chelated, wide range of best accesible ingredients (seriously, everything good you can imagine), organic, Im confident will lock down coco pH and completely prevent and cal mag issues, feeds beneficials, etc etc.

AND the beauty of small pot coco is very little is needed so the mixing and burning through massive jugs constantly doesnt happen. Wont cost a fortune, used as a weekly strong organic very rich but NEVER HOT feed line. So far, so good.

Closely monitoring to prevent high transpiration salt lockout. Not happening again. I bet this yields quite well.

justiceman

justiceman

This thread is awesome. I threw a random clone into a 2gal coco hempy a while back during my outdoor a few years ago. I forgot to take flower pics but that thing exploded for such a small pot. Bed's really are just for F***ing!

IMG 0130
IMG 0181
IMG 0182
jackwhite

jackwhite

I love hydro! to be honest its not as you describe. as long as you keep a proper ph, keep water temps 60-74deg f. and top off when needed. you will be golden. another thing i love about hydro less bug issues! like any grow room keep it clean! to keep your roots white and healthy use uc roots or any other simaliar product to prevent root rot and it keeps things clean. just follow the bottles instructions! i go 2weeks bw reservoir changes ad well. talk about hands off growing! i train, top, and supercrop my plants early and i stop 10-14 days before flip to let my plants heal and recover. after the strecth and defoliation you are all set till the end of flower. just nutrient changes 2-3 times a month! i topp off the reservoir once every 3-5 days(depends on how low humidity is) At the end of the day both growin styles have + & -'s Happy growing!
That sucks. Reinforces your point, and why I dont do DWC, UC, any hydro, aeroponics. Too unforgiving of mistakes. Sure, yields can be massive. But Ive read reports of a lot of guys trying all that, experienced and spending good on gear, and mostly going back away from those methods. Seems no one really remembers the big yield rounds that bang, just the disasters, slime, mistakes, failed expensive worthless rounds is the only thing that they remember, and its bitter.

Coco small pot seems like the best of all worlds. Short cycle timer irrigation drip collars with a light nute ppm feed barrel for regular, small waterings (I also add probiotics to barrel - Veg+Bloom +Life, Great White, Caps, enzymes, Mammoth, etc) so they never dry out and get that big growth from the numerous multifeeds.
Now Im supplementing with hand watering Nectar for the Gods, will get back to Advanced schedule as I get the rest of the bottles. Calcium based, pre-digested/chelated, wide range of best accesible ingredients (seriously, everything good you can imagine), organic, Im confident will lock down coco pH and completely prevent and cal mag issues, feeds beneficials, etc etc.

AND the beauty of small pot coco is very little is needed so the mixing and burning through massive jugs constantly doesnt happen. Wont cost a fortune, used as a weekly strong organic very rich but NEVER HOT feed line. So far, so good.

Closely monitoring to prevent high transpiration salt lockout. Not happening again. I bet this yields quite well.

jackwhite

jackwhite

one last thing if you are growing in hydro..do not use any beneficial bacteria nutes (hydro guard, micro brew etc) if you use uc roots or any simialar product because they will kill your beneficial bacteria. so save your your $$ because in hydro there is no need because the roots will draw up nutes when she needs it no need for beneficia bacteria that aids in nute absorption. if in soil the YES use them. uc roots will keep your roots fairly white because it kills any microbe that comes in contact. and if water temps get over 74deg you will want to use every 3days. happy growing

justiceman

justiceman

I agree. I've done both soil/soilless mixes and coco. Came to the conclusion that a grower has to choose one or the other. Either go pure hydro nutrients or go organic in soil/soilless mix. Both styles work great in their own respects, but I've seen the most problems when you try to get the "best of both worlds". Organic inputs with hydro nutrients can get you some wacky ph and EC swings.

Nybadboy

Nybadboy

Guys you all are big time pros and I'm trying to do what you guys do I am now on my first indoor grow and I went with coco hope I get a quarterof what you guys do ...and thx for posting and taking time withoutguys like u it would be hard to have such a positive outlook

Latest posts

Top Bottom