BEER AS A FERTILIZER

• Thread starter Automatically sticky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

I have done a bit of searching around on websites about horticulture and found that beer was a natural nute. One, because it contains yeast and other micro nutes used by plants. I am currently growing an auto flower(Seedmakers auto blue). I was using a standard 15-30-15 due to the fact of it being an auto flower.
I was looking for a fertilizer to add additional micro nutes and found that beer was the way to go. I tried it I used a fresh opened beer (Bud light lime) 1/2 cup of beer per gallon of water.
I fed the auto flower with the mix and I noticed in about an hour, the entire plant look really alive and more vibrient, all the leaves stood tall, pointing upward. hey mikie, he likes it. So far so good.

Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

hmmm... for variety, try stale, flat microbrews or dark beers. Bet they'll like that even better than the cheap stuff lol ;)
ok i will try that just to see what happens. Does it have to be flat beer?

ttystikk

ttystikk

ok i will try that just to see what happens. Does it have to be flat beer?

Carbonation alters your pH. Letting it go flat allows you to adjust the pH and keep it stable. Small amounts, well diluted, especially into organic soil type environments should cause no trouble either way.

Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

Ok cool thank you, your input is valued as high here.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I am using an organic soil as well.

Although it's the rare ganja farmer who has to fend off the dreaded slug, it turns out beer is the perfect weapon for them; place shallow cups right at ground level, so the rim is even with the ground around it, and fill these little puddles full of... beer. Slugs and snails can't resist, and swim to their beery death!

Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

Although it's the rare ganja farmer who has to fend off the dreaded slug, it turns out beer is the perfect weapon for them; place shallow cups right at ground level, so the rim is even with the ground around it, and fill these little puddles full of... beer. Slugs and snails can't resist, and swim to their beery death!
you got it brother, i also found out that the plants stood tall because of the micro nutes contained in the beer.

K

kolah

wasting good beer??? :)

sounds interesting though. I guess the question would be what dilution rate one would use and it may also depend on the amount of alcohol content in the beer. You did 12 ounces of brewski to a 1/2 cup of water with good results so that's a starting point.

I like doing stuff like this..experimenting and finding or disproving new ways to grow.....thus reducing or eliminating buying overpriced nutrients and amendments. It takes the definition of Homegrown to a higher level.

Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

Y
wasting good beer??? :)

sounds interesting though. I guess the question would be what dilution rate one would use and it may also depend on the amount of alcohol content in the beer. You did 12 ounces of brewski to a 1/2 cup of water with good results so that's a starting point.

I like doing stuff like this..experimenting and finding or disproving new ways to grow.....thus reducing or eliminating buying overpriced nutrients and amendments. It takes the definition of Homegrown to a higher level.
Yes, i am very surprised at the results i am getting. I used 1/2 cup of beer (bud light lime) to 1 gallon of water. The reason I picked that beer was because of its citrus content, as well as the yeast factor. I have found that the breaking down of the hop elements would be similar to the flowering process in marijuana. (Thus the curing or end result) I did a ph test and it was stable at 6.5. I don't think you could get any better than that with an experiment. Today my plant looks strong, it seems to really like it. What I will do next is test to make sure the mag. content is not to high, to much would bring the ph down to low.

reeldrag

reeldrag

freaking awesome now I have a reason to have a beer in my hand when mixing nutes so when the wife busts me with a tall cold one I can say just feeding the girls sweety I freaking love this site!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to mention my best friend works at a major brewery and he gets half kegs all the time to give away as promotions I can see it now 1/4 kegs lined up in the garage I got my nutes meds and beverages all in the same place YYAAAHHHOOOOOOO I'm on it gonna have to do some breeding just so I can come up with an awesome name of beer fed meds im thinking kush lite kush dark big wave kush my day just got better cuz of u gentlemen

K

kolah

Oops. 1/2 cup of beer to a gallon of water, gotcha.

Beer has a pH of 4 or so. If your water is 6-7 I wonder if that would balance it out enough to hit the MJ sweet-spot of 6.5 . Limes are really low (2-3?) and I am not sure if the lime would unbalance things even further. I am not a big science guy but I do try and keep my pH balanced for growing purposes.

It appears you got a nice mix with what you did though so I can't argue with that. :)

Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

Oops. 1/2 cup of beer to a gallon of water, gotcha.

Beer has a pH of 4 or so. If your water is 6-7 I wonder if that would balance it out enough to hit the MJ sweet-spot of 6.5 . Limes are really low (2-3?) and I am not sure if the lime would unbalance things even further. I am not a big science guy but I do try and keep my pH balanced for growing purposes.

It appears you got a nice mix with what you did though so I can't argue with that. :)
Yes, it seems to have worked really well. I tested the pH again and it remains steady at 6.5. You gotta love science.
As of right now it is hitting the sweet spot. Since the first treatment I have noticed that there are more pistils appearing. This could be due to the autoflower properties. Seedmakers autoblue is a 55 day plant. It is living up to its name I have another 35 days to go.

K

kolah

Nice. Maybe we need a new strain grown with beer called Beer Goggles.

Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

can i run it through my belly filter first?
Its no secret that urine contains everything plants need, its been that way in nature since animals first started
to piss; that being said theres rules to follow.

::: HOW TO USE IT:::
1) The smell of urine is actually ammonia, urine; in a healthy person; is absolutely sterile and clean.
2) The stronger that ammonia smell, the less nutrients are available to plants, and less nitrogen.
- Nitrogen actually binds as it sits with other chemicals to create ammonia -
- After 24 hours, your going to need new urine -
3) Never pee directly on any plant, mix in a solution of water at a ratio of 10:1 or 15:1 water:urine.
4) Do NOT mix with any other bodily fluids, and do not use any other bodily fluids, including stool.
- The reason for this is the human diet -
5) Urine needs to be fresh
6) Urine should be applied to the soil, consider it an untreated fertilizer; do NOT foliage feed with it.
7) The nitrogen content is really high, keep that in mind as nitrogen can inhibit flowering of "SOME" types of plants, with that being said; vegetative stages will benefit tremendously from nitrogen.
8) Direct urine can burn and kill plants undiluted; if weeds are a problem, apply undiluted directly to kill weeds, oddly will turn grass yellow, which will recover and turn greener then it was before; weeds don't recover.
9) Urine is the best composting activator you will ever find, anywhere. It will also increase the micro nutrient value of your final compost by 50-100%.
10) Collect directly into the bottle, then mix with water, not the toilet. use as you would any fertilizer and don't overdo it, you can over fertilize plants.
11) For hydroponics about 250ml for 3.5 galons will do it.

:::WARNINGS:::
1) If your sick, have infections "urinary, bladder etc" do not use your urine. Urine is sterile in the bladder all the way to the exit so long as its not introduced through infections.
2) Most drugs/medications wind up in urine, if your on prescription drugs, your urine is probably off limits. The exception to this is birth control, marijuana, 90% pain killers. A study actually suggests that estrogen helps a lot of different flowering plants, Google is your friend here.
3) Do not use the urine of someone else for the first 2 reasons. You just don't know.
4) Don't use pet urine, its probably safe but there could be, and may be things in pet food your unaware of, could be unseen infections, since they cant tell you of discomfort. And some animal; such as cat; urine, is much stronger and could kill plants.
5) Lots of people feel theres a yuk factor involved, just don't tell people about your homemade super crops secret, even if it is safe.

This may vary slightly based on diet, contents based on every 2L of urine
"about your daily total"
Nutrient Levels
Alanine, total ..... 38 mg/day
Arginine, total ..... 32 mg/day
Ascorbic acid ..... 30 mg/day
Allantoin ..... 12 mg/day
Amino acids, total ..... 2.1 g/day
Bicarbonate ..... 140 mg/day
Biotin ..... 35 mg/day
Calcium ..... 23 mg/day
Creatinine ..... 1.4 mg/day
Cystine ..... 120 mg/day
Dopamine ..... 0.40 mg/day
Epinephrine ..... 0.01 mg/day
Folic acid ..... 4 mg/day
Glucose ..... 100 mg/day
Glutamic acid ..... 308 mg/day
Glycine ..... 455 mg/day
Inositol ..... 14 mg/day
Iodine ..... 0.25 mg/day
Iron ..... 0.5 mg/day
Lysine, total ..... 56 mg/day
Magnesium ..... 100 mg/day
Manganese ..... 0.5 mg/day
Methionine, total ..... 10 mg/day
Nitrogen, total ..... 15 g/day
Ornithine ..... 10 mg/day
Pantothenic acid ..... 3 mg/day
Phenylalanine ..... 21 mg/day
Phosphorus, organic ..... 9 mg/day
Potassium ..... 2.5 mg/day
Proteins, total ..... 5 mg/day
Riboflavin ..... 0.9 mg/day
Tryptophan, total ..... 28 mg/day
Tyrosine, total ..... 50 mg/day
Urea ..... 24.5 mg/day
Vitamin B6 ..... 100 mg/day
Vitamin B12 ..... 0.03 mg/day
Zinc ..... 1.4 mg/day

TIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have gone though an entire grow using urine without any deficiencies, but many feel that during flowering your phosphorus levels are too low. If you desire, a bloom fertilizer may be used in tandem during the flowering phase.flowering phase.

Latest posts

Top Bottom