BEER AS A FERTILIZER

• Thread starter Automatically sticky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

freaking awesome now I have a reason to have a beer in my hand when mixing nutes so when the wife busts me with a tall cold one I can say just feeding the girls sweety I freaking love this site!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to mention my best friend works at a major brewery and he gets half kegs all the time to give away as promotions I can see it now 1/4 kegs lined up in the garage I got my nutes meds and beverages all in the same place YYAAAHHHOOOOOOO I'm on it gonna have to do some breeding just so I can come up with an awesome name of beer fed meds im thinking kush lite kush dark big wave kush my day just got better cuz of u gentlemen
Yes, it seems to have worked really well. I tested the pH again and it remains steady at 6.5. You gotta love science.
As of right now it is hitting the sweet spot. Since the first treatment I have noticed that there are more pistils appearing. This could be due to the autoflower properties. Seedmakers autoblue is a 55 day plant. It is living up to its name I have another 35 days to go.

Here are some photos after the beer treatment.

http://invalid.com/g/1/9775958/

Automatically sticky

Automatically sticky

wasting good beer??? :)

sounds interesting though. I guess the question would be what dilution rate one would use and it may also depend on the amount of alcohol content in the beer. You did 12 ounces of brewski to a 1/2 cup of water with good results so that's a starting point.

I like doing stuff like this..experimenting and finding or disproving new ways to grow.....thus reducing or eliminating buying overpriced nutrients and amendments. It takes the definition of Homegrown to a higher level.

http://invalid.com/g/1/9775958/

BathtubGrower

BathtubGrower

Sorry to revive this thread, but it still seams like a relevant topic of discussion.

conclusions that have been made, are as follows the beer was used at a diluted ratio with positive results, be it ph or neuts added.

another study at a university level concluded with poor results, they were using hydro. My original thought was the alcohol didn’t have a chance to evaporate unlike the soil test, but then I thought the hydro must have been done with an aerator, which would have provided a means for evaporation. But what if the lack of surface area made it impossible to evaporate out.

perhaps someone can conduct this study within an aquaponics system. How would that impact the fish should be the primary concern before this experiment is conducted…. Or maybe even a fish less aquaponics style system of flood and drain planters. How then would the impact of alcohol effect the growth or health of cannabis (plants in general)… or even better yet, we can re-conduct the hydro test with boiled beer cooled and rediluted to original volume with distilled water…. Although the source where I heard of the university study dose not site his source. He dose mention that the study was also conducted with non alcoholic beer with poor results. ( https://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3715 ) We have questions as to what is the process of alcohol removal and possible additives added to this kind of beer to increase shelf stability over alcoholic beer.
It would also be beneficial to have a soil study from the original poster that used a beer not “Lime” as this would further to identify if it is ph or something else.

we have come across information from the wine industry that suggests yeast consumes nitrogen during fermentation. One may hypothesize that plants are aided by the addition of yeast to the soil. That the yeast is making the nitrogen available to the plants. And possibly other nutrients as well. And we somewhat know this to be true as yeast is a fungus. And it has been recently touted that the addition of mycorrhizal to the soil aides in root growth and plant health. So is it the yeast it self or the byproduct of it that makes it beneficial, or was it mearly an adjustment of ph that gave positive results, or of course something else altogether.
We would also point out that even though yeast is available in the soil, it is by no mean active/or active to the point of a beer solution. When the highly active yeast solution is poured over a soil with high porosity one could imagine the yeast acting as a coating around the billions of particles that make up the soil, allowing consumption of nutrients from the outside in expelling byproducts to be used up by the root system. Pleas forgive the run on sentences. We remind any readers that this is mearly speculation.

how this topic came to light. We have been feeding our plants with a pseudo cowboy compost tea. Prepared by filling a 5gal/19l bucket with tap water, adding a handful of soil and a handful of worm castings. Hand mixed and watered as is…. Ideally the water would be left for a day to dechlorinate before the addition of the two substrates. The solution is mixed thoughly with intent to aerate at least once a day to prevent anaerobic bacteria from taking hold… Often this mixture will sit for a few day sometimes a week before being fully used. We started to think about what is happening to npk during this phase on inuse. Is the nitrogen being consumed by the “yeast” fungus or bacteria… there are no foul smells being produced indicating no anaerobic bacterias or at least minimal/insignificant. This has worked very well for plants in veg, although there dose appear to be a lack of nitrogen be it from lack their of due to the demands of a thriving vegetative plant, or the consumption of nitrogen by the yeasts.
the next phase came from wanting to have a similar mix solution for when the plants go into flower. We started by adding a tablespoon of molasses, a sprinkle of epsom, a teaspoon of bone meal, and a tablespoon of macerated banana (whole+b,sugar) with interesting results…. This solution as well is aerated daily, and left for days on end. The smell is unmistakable, that of fermentation. It’s clear that the sugars are being consumed by yeast, (possibly adddd from the skin of the banana or existing with in the soils). It should be stated that the amount of sugar added and amount of water used to suspend would result in undetectable alcohol levels. We have seen remarkable results using this pseudo fermented solution on flowering plants, be it from the additional potassium added from the bananas or the addition of the fully saturated bonemeal and how that was effected by allowing the water soluble bone meal phosphorus to become available, and or is the yeast inpart also having an effect on the phosphorus availability to the plant. These are absolutely things that can be measured and quantified. Checking npk at different stages of the fermentation process. Twice a day or even once a day for a few weeks to see if npk spikes at any point of the fermentation process. Is it simply that these neutrients are being given time to saturate and suspend out of the substrates or is the yeast actually consuming npk…. One thing is clear the npk added at the beginning is the npk at the end, however at different point they may be locked with in the products being added or possibly drawn out by yeasts and bacteria feeding on them.

in conclusion… is the fermentation of organic amendments beneficial to the access of neutrients by the plant and it’s rhizosphere.
And if so how can we use this to our advantage.
I don’t think many would argue that it is the pure alcohol it self that is beneficial to the plant although anything is possible…
If anyone has information on how npk is effected by fermentation please provide links, it would be very useful information.
we will be looking to conduct test on our fermentation using npk testing kits, but this may take time to be comprehensive.

thank you so much for taking the time to read our speculations and assumptions. In this world of science we can only hypothesize, test, conclude, and repeat. Because conclusion are the fundamental importance of the process, the testing process must be rigorous and repeatable…

Top Bottom