Beginner's Space Tote Diary

• Thread starter 1ToteGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Welcome!

Growing in a single tote - horizontally. I know I will have to keep my plants small, but the plan is to go perpetual in the future by having a seperate veg tote. Trying to stay under 5 plants/28 grams dry. Biggest plant on the left is an auto 2 weeks from sprout and on the right is a photo about 12 days from sprout. In the solo cups is an auto and photo, not sprouted yet but I'm not sure which one is which 😅 I guess I will find out in some weeks. I have elevated them about 4" closer to the light. I think my breeze fan is too big, might have to swap out for a couple of PC fans or something. It works for now. I keep some raised domes on the bigger seedlings with holes in top, else they get way too much breeze right now. I might need some kind of deflector for that fan. Light schedule is 24 hours currently. Currently have 2 blurple LED QBs on top, and will be adding some 6500k led strips on the sides soon. It does seem like they need more veg spectrum, but I am still pleased with the progress.

Beginners space tote diary
Beginners space tote diary 2
1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Day 16 from seed / 13 from sprout

Veg lights added. Watering time is coming up, just not sure when I should. Waiting longer this time than I did last time to water. Light schedule changed to 20/4.

IMG 20200326 153445
Last edited:
1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

It's been hot these past 2 days, and growth has slowed. I have lowered the plants to the bottom of the tote, did some remodeling, added a PC fan, and I'm happy to report that my temps are down to room temp (74F) at the soil level. Hopefully when they grow bigger they can handle a little more heat because no doubt it is a bit warmer higher up, and it's going to get hotter outside

1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Photo from yesterday. I think my tote looks great. If it gets too hot today, I may only run the side lighting until it cools down.

Xviewer wallpaper
Reactions: Ina
1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Just FIM'd my eldest yesterday, kinda wishing I did it a week sooner. She is an auto about 20 days from sprout. Hopefully it all works out and she is not majorly stunted. If it is, oh well. She had been growing nodes super close to each other and her stem getting thick so this was a panic maneuver on my part.

1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

The smaller leaves in the last pic seemed to be blocking the light from getting to the new growth, so I have just snipped them off, the larger leaves I have bent down and may tie down because they are blocking light from getting to potentially new tops as well. Will update with a new pic Tues/Wed

1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Day 31 from sprout
It looks like my eldest has been a bit stressed probably from the fan hitting her too hard and also she's getting tangled up from nodes growing too close together. Some of her leaves twisted upside down. I have put a shield in front of the fan and did some LST. Now her center nodes have some breathing room.

She has started to flower. She has a slight smell of a particularly common weed smell/taste that I can't put a name on, it's like a smell that tickles your throat a little, like when a puppy licks your face.

IMG 20200412 124227
IMG 20200412 124233
Last edited:
Growing_Garbage

Growing_Garbage

Nice! Clean little setup ya got there. Good trimming up those big leaves, she won't even notice and it'll keep er moving.
Im in to watch this run. Did this in totes before but ended up needing a double stack tote setup. Still great little incognito grows

1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Nice! Clean little setup ya got there. Good trimming up those big leaves, she won't even notice and it'll keep er moving.
Im in to watch this run. Did this in totes before but ended up needing a double stack tote setup. Still great little incognito grows

Yeah I could have done stacked totes but I didn't want to. This is a bit easier to manage. When I start a veg+cloning box then I should be able to keep a steady supply just enough for personal use. I just have to keep the plants small and healthy.

1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

So wishing that I had did a better top job on my eldest, but it will be ok. Learning.
Just topped my mother plant (the one on the right) and cut a clone off her! Soaking that in a cup of water, hopefully it grows roots! Not really sure how much light or warmth it needs!! Any tips welcome. Would it be okay to sit in my tote, or does it need 24 hours of light? Temps can drop down to 68 during dark period, so not sure what to do.

Growing_Garbage

Growing_Garbage

Nice, they take quite a bit and bounce back, its always a learning experience. So for the clone it would just need like 18+hours of light, not sure what your running in the tote. And 68 is not too cold so no worries there. I don't know that a plain cup of water will do it but worth a try.

1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Gave a little TLC to my clone, she now can sit securely in a funnel, changed her water, and added a sip of H2O2 to it.

IMG 20200415 150529
1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Day 34 from sprout
Think we're doing okay so far any thoughts? Now I know which solo cup is the auto. I'm going to have to start my veg box and flip to 12/12 soon, but I don't know how that's going affect yields on my bigger auto.

IMG 20200415 193945
IMG 20200415 194012
IMG 20200415 194048
IMG 20200415 194059
IMG 20200415 194110
1ToteGrow

1ToteGrow

Day 43 from sprout

It feels like it's been forever since my last update, so here is another one. My eldest has been through some stuff but I think she will be okay. Firstly I split the stem on one of her tops, but it didn't even phase her. She has some yellow/light greenish leaves on the tops I think because I started feeding nutrients and didn't bother to check the PH (it was too high) so now I will be managing the PH more carefully. Not really sure if that is the problem though. She has just started to produce trichomes. I now have a veg box and an aeroponics cloner. I threw out the clone I was trying to root in plain water and cut a new one for my cloner. Fingers crossed!

IMG 20200424 233222
IMG 20200424 233342
Top Bottom