beluga logs it all et al

• Thread starter beluga
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
beluga

beluga

Welp. Maybe time to restrategize.

I'm not gonna make any moves yet, but I'm pretty certain all of the TWBVs are male.
DSC 5313

This one is curious
DSC 5312

So, that's a bummer.
But...
DSC 5311

The BbKSwOG that got repositioned came through.

And the other still shows nothing.

There's a good chance I'll clone the one showing pistils. I don't wanna waste time or space and it would give me a chance to make some adjustments. Its sibling seems to be temperamental about topping and is quite the lowrider due to it. I might be able to utilize that since I'm keeping things compact. Who knows. I'm gonna sleep on it and see if those TWBVs surprise me. I was more excited to work with those since I mixed em. But... eh. I don't wanna wait for seeds to mature again right now.

beluga

beluga

On lighting.

Past me started to build this.

Thanks, farm and past me, for keeping track of things.

Still have those starboards and two of those 50w XLG drivers.
I just gotta get some extrusions and then I'll throw those together finally, but instead of incorporating them into a new system, I want to just supplement my current light. I'm thinking modular, daisy-chained together on four 22" extrusions. 7 chips per strip. FDFDFDF configuration. Still weird to me that "Deep" isn't the one toward the end of the spectrum and "Far" is. Whatever.

But, anyway, now I want moar!!!

Osram Oslon 455nm

Osram Oslon 735nm
And their datasheets

Interesting, it seems both Luxeon and Osram have chips manufactured by New Energy. Maybe it's just specific series... I'll have to dive a little deeper to see the comparisons.

For comparison, the Luxeon Datasheet
Honestly, at a glance, I might go with the Luxeons.
For that reason....

Luxeon Royal Blue 445-455nm

Luxeon White

and, for shits because my interest is piqued

Luxeon Lime Green

Those last two are broad spectrum. No good info on the datasheet. According to Steve's, the Cool White is "415nm - 800nm, with dominant peaks at 455nm, 540nm, and 630nm"
And the Lime Green is "-400-750nm"
So what use do I have of the green? 🤷‍♂️ Strictly satisfying curiosity. I think I want to get into making tunable switches for the different spectrums. That's pushing my understanding, though, so I'll have to study a good bit first.

My base will still be Bridgelux strips, only they have a new series I want to fart around with. Those BXEB Gen 2s have shown their worth to me and are cheap as all get out, so, if it fails, I'll just resort back to them. I do still have those 5000k 1120mm Gen 3s that I need to match a driver to.. but that's staying on the back burner for now.
I know most people are on about 301B/H's.
But, what can I say, I'm a contrarian 🤷‍♂️

And obviously this means I'm going to need a place to put it all. So, new construction is impending, too. 😎

beluga

beluga

On the plant side of things....

I think I'm gonna roll with this.
Just two BbKSwOG ladies.
At least while I have construction going on.

Actually.... that leggy TWBV did turn out female, but I made the executive decision. It would have been impossible to get these varieties to cooperate and I was really not a fan of the TWBV structure... it's just not right for keeping things tight - need uniformity above all else.

And, man, I'm hating this half-baked net pot column shit of mine. It was entirely too frustrating to make some adjustments last night. I think next time around, I'm going to attach collars directly to them and widen the hole to fit them easier. Or just scratch that idea entirely. The need arose from having plants that I vegged out wayyyy too long and they just got huge and unstable by flower. But I don't have that option with the current state of things. And, honestly, this lighting is far better suited for vertical farming - tight stacks of gentle but effective lighting.

It's good to be done with that for a while. 😒
Now you can party on, girls. 🥳

beluga

beluga

DSC 5332

Been chilly out here and I didn't react quickly enough to keep them from feeling it. Got down to the low 60s in there, with res temps about the same.

So, just with cutting the in/outtake fans and throwing the res up on some foamboard, we got the air temps at 83°F, res temps at 78°F overnight (their daytime.)

I think I need to get some lower-speed fans. The ones I have were intended for a 4x8 room, so, even dialed all the way down, they are definitely too much for my little cabinet until I build some additions to satisfy that cfm demand. I guess I could put them on timers for the time being, too 🤔

Ain't stopping 'em from getting the party started though
20220925 082300

beluga

beluga

Day 21 Flower
DSC 5373

DSC 5375
DSC 5379
DSC 5376
DSC 5378

DSC 5381
DSC 5382
DSC 5384
DSC 5383

Been some ebbs; been some flows. But we're moving along.

Underwhelmed by the stretch of the one. The other is quite nice.
I was expecting to max out vertically, but I don't see that happening now.

Underwhelmed by the bouquet so far. We'll see how that evolves.
The TWBV males that I pulled a week ago were probably more pungent than these developing flowers.

I'll try not to get too hung up on it.

Something else I've never done in my growing escapades is go sterile or biotic with my hydro solutions... I've just added nutrients and called it a day.
I decided, after some root envy and in the spirit of not pushing my luck, that I'd go the microbial way. So, I added some GreenEden Endo Boost. I would have gone with a Plant Revolution/Plant Success product (great white/orca), but, looking at the GreenEden makeup, it seemed to be a more complete blend. We'll see.

Still an environment battle. It stays at a nice and relatively stable climate so long as the in/outtake fans are off, but I can tell it needs a recycling by the time I get to open it. Gotta throw those on timers and better match the fan power to the cabinet. That's going to be addressed this weekend. Pretty bummed that I missed an Inkbird sale... I gotta get at least a few of those.