Best Brand Coco Coir

• Thread starter Quitters
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Anyone ever use black gold? It's omri and pretty cheap (I was quoted $11/2 cubic feet bag).

But I've been using the botanicare aeration getting record yields. Granted, I recently started running drippers.

hermit186

hermit186

Try a small bag of very course coco and put a shallow layer on top of the pot and water on it. This will disperse the water better and it will stop most molds and mildews most critters don't like it either. I don't reuse the coco from a plant that goes into flower before that I will. I use it on my garden the dirt here is very fine and some day when it legal here outside I will have a bed 25' buy 100' of very good weed orientated soil for now the garden is very popular with neighbors, rabbits, and the deer.

P

Pimples

What alot of you think is "salt" in new bags of coco coir is not. Most brands (the popular ones) are processed to a high standard these days. Ec meters do not differentiate between sodium chloride (bad) and calcium nitrate (good). And measuring runoff with an ec meter really doesnt mean much anyways. My suggestion.....plant in whatever you get and just go for it. Screw all that rinsing shit. Ive used Royal Gold...Canna... Botanicare....Bcuzz...GH...Nutrfield and all the other brands. They are all good. Processed correctly (Years ago this was not the case....coir was very inconsistent back in the early days of its popularity....plus alot of growers didnt know what the fuk they were doing with coco coir ) and is good to go right out the bag. Sounds like alot of people are making this harder than it should be. Running water through to "check" it. See a 300 to 700 ppm return on runoff....and write the brand off as being "salty"....lol.

Last edited:
hermit186

hermit186

If you ever travel to the central and south America you will discover that there are 2 kinds of coconut trees 1 make very good coco and on makes shit for years they didn't use it now they mix it in including canna. Canna are money grubbing and you should take a ship cruse or two before you profess to no about coconut husks.

Most people don't understand that most coconut palms grow in or on and island and live on salt water and they dispel the excess salt. Fresh coco you might find behind the hut of a person who lives on Corn Island is 15% more salty than those grown at Bluefield on the main land. For a given period of time the husks are left in a pile and to the weather to rinse out. After many months it is moved to the shredder. This meant that the bulk husks were left sometimes 2 or 3 seasons. This is the very best coco. The problem Canna and two others now don't even give it time to rinse out naturally with rain water the even grind them up coming off the nut extraction.
What happened there came a thing called yellow disease and it killed 35% of the good coco palms.
Next the money grubbers started using the 6 year phenotype and they grow slowly what happened they used up what is cut and sold for nuts right after extraction.

In doing this the yellow spared badly and killed a lot of palms.
Now the yellow is in Florida most folks don't even know what it is.
The 2 year phenotype is the lower less dense coco but is what your using now and is not the same is it better??.
Doesn't matter as the yellow takes over the south pacific and the rest of central America and the islands, the quality of our coco will get worse is like fishing in Lake Michigan before the lampreys.
The coco I bought 8 years ago is nothing like what they call coco now.

Now that I have said all this my plants don't care which coco if new generation I suggest you rinse it if you get a rusty red run off very faint not a remotely dark color. then you have very good stuff if is a middle dark is junk and if is very dark has wood products added with dye.
Only the last concerns me I rinse my coco 3 times who ever made it and then I get the drain water in a gallon glass jug and let set for 48 hrs. Ph and EC it.

The first 2 will be consistent and generally the same numbers and the very best coco will hold its PH and not move around till you start the nutrients. The best coco and canna doesn't sell it will hold less than 6% of your nutrients in the coco makes flushing very easy. BUT MOST OF ALL KEEPS THE PH WHERE YOU LEFT IT AT NOT ADJUSTING EVERY DAY. The number 2 coco will hold more moisture and as much as 17% of the nutrients
but the PH will swing and even get very high in PH overnight.
I have one word for the cheepsters with wood fibers and dyes FIRE.

Only the last one with the damn wood fibers in it I will not use.
The rest the better stuff looks better but the 2 year nut makes most of the coco you buy now and they use the 6 year as filler.
The cheeper your coco you will have Cal and Mag problems and mosty you will have swing PH. which is a problem that rinsing will cure.

P

Pimples

Which companies are not getting 80% of thier coir from Sri Lanka? BotAnicare gets there coir from Pelemix....a huge supplier for massive geenhouse operations. I suspect many hobby hydroponics companies get coco coir from just a handful of major suppliers like Pelemix. I was under the impression that this was 80 to 90% based in Asia in the Indian sub continent regions. Sri Lanka being by far the biggest player. South American coco coir is suspect and inconsistent at best and this is well known in the mega veggie greenhouse industry.

Last edited:
hermit186

hermit186

There is a simple answer shipping cost 1/10 to ship from central America and the majority of coco is not used in the U.S. it was little know and mostly unused till the Weed revolution. If you watch TV you will no that they are cutting down the rain forest faster than a forest fire. They are not planting coffee and bananas is Palm oil they are building and several of the countries in South America are bigger than that Island. Just because a company is bassed there doesn't make it where the coco comes from.
Mostly working on a cargo ship you learn the real truth about international shipping.
However it really doesn't matter I was saying that coco was much better 8 to 10 years ago because at that time we were seeing the 2 year nut and the yellow diesize got a majority of them.

Country Coconut Production 2014
(metric tonnes)
% of World Total
1 Indonesia 18,300,000 mt 35.8%
2 Philippines 15,353,200 mt 30.0%
3 India 11,930,000 mt 23.3%
4 Brazil 2,890,286 mt 5.66%
5 Sri Lanka 2,513,000 mt 4.9%
If your going to dix my statements get your shit straight don't google it and write what you see. The internet is not always right.
I believe that after years of growing with it I said that for all the fuss the only coco you need to worry about is the ones that give you a heavy stain of rusty red water when you wash it. If you even bother to flush it.

P

Pimples

If i "dix" your statement....whatever that means...then it wasnt my intentions. And i didnt gokgle shit. You assume alot.

P

Pimples

So we've pretty much run it ALLLL... Canna, atami, botanicare, nutriplus, nutrifield, Cyco, sunleaves, roots organics, sunshine, sanctuary, GH, fox farm, mills, plagron, Mother Earth, royal gold, gold label and probably a dozen others that aren't coming to mind right now..

Gotta say our favs are definitely the Plagron w perlite mixed and the Mills w the pre mixed cork. Nutrifield amended w perlite close to the top of the list too. Growing on slabs Plagron is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Definitely recommend amending coco with something to aerate, dropping ppm of feed and watering more frequently. This gives you hydroponic growth rates and the forgivingness of coco. We're doing our first run of Plagron nutes in Plagron coco and CRUSHING it.
Heard Plagron is the whip. And yes..not many in America grow in coir slabs but it is tue way for sure.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Take this for what it is I'm doing a run with Canna coco vs cheap ass Black Gold coco
All cones from same mother plants WIFI OG
All in 10 Gallon Smart Pots
All in same room
All vegged in same room same length of time
All temps, C02, All HPS 1k Flower Bulbs, 1 K Veg Bulbs,
All feed from same Rez of nutes hand feed same amounts of nutes

And I seen not one thing different other I have one plant that has a little burnt on the outer leaves only one in the whole room and can you guys guess what coco its in ???????

Fucking CANNA....

and with the black gold I have little left in each bag to start to fill next 10 gallon, with the smaller canna I use a whole bag plus a little out of second bag per 10 gallon.....This is my experience.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

I see alot of people saying royal gold has a high ec run off. Would this potentially be caused by the fact it has azomite? Ec readers only test for how much is in run off and don't really tell you if this is salt or just possibly beneficial minerals. I have seen some amazing grows with tupur especially when using some kind of automated drip system. Currently I'm planning a tupur drip room and was curious if anyone has knowledge if the higher run off is salt or could just be caused by the azomite?

P

Pimples

Take this for what it is I'm doing a run with Canna coco vs cheap ass Black Gold coco
All cones from same mother plants WIFI OG
All in 10 Gallon Smart Pots
All in same room
All vegged in same room same length of time
All temps, C02, All HPS 1k Flower Bulbs, 1 K Veg Bulbs,
All feed from same Rez of nutes hand feed same amounts of nutes

And I seen not one thing different other I have one plant that has a little burnt on the outer leaves only one in the whole room and can you guys guess what coco its in ???????

Fucking CANNA....

and with the black gold I have little left in each bag to start to fill next 10 gallon, with the smaller canna I use a whole bag plus a little out of second bag per 10 gallon.....This is my experience.
Black Gold Coco is cheaper in price but not quality. Back in the day thier soils amd mixes were the bomb. Alot of old timey growers used black gold.Same with Metro Mix and Bactto.

justiceman

justiceman

Went to grab some coco at the local spot the other day. All they had was Aurora Innovations Cocopalms. While I potted some seedlings the other day with it I noticed it had some small rocks that break into dust. There are not very many and at first I thought maybe they were just small clumps of dirt that accidentally got mixed in as the bag itself says it's 100% coco. Went to the website and the description says "Washed and age cured coconut husk, buffered with uncalcined limestone". Well I don't think it will make much difference. It's some great feeling coco with a good amount of air to it but I think the uncalcined limestone should be more clearly stated on the bag.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Went to grab some coco at the local spot the other day. All they had was Aurora Innovations Cocopalms. While I potted some seedlings the other day with it I noticed it had some small rocks that break into dust. There are not very many and at first I thought maybe they were just small clumps of dirt that accidentally got mixed in as the bag itself says it's 100% coco. Went to the website and the description says "Washed and age cured coconut husk, buffered with uncalcined limestone". Well I don't think it will make much difference. It's some great feeling coco with a good amount of air to it but I think the uncalcined limestone should be more clearly stated on the bag.
Black Gold JustCoir

justiceman

justiceman

A little update on the roots organics coco palms. I thought it had a decent feel to it but then I noticed it wasn't drying out as fast as I remember coco drying out. I chalked it up to "ah it's been a few years you don't know exactly how fast coco dries right now." The other day I noticed it came with springtails after doing a slurry test(1:1 R/O +Coco) right out if the bag to test its EC(.6-.7 aka 300-350ppm) Hahaha. They aren't much of a problem but I would have liked the coco to be pest free.
IMG 6775

So today I decided to take out my block of botanicare coco and hydrate a 1/4 of it to conpare the two in color and fiber to pith ratio. The results were astonishing. Never going to buy Roots Organics Coco Palms again.

Roots Organics Coco Palms on the left. Botanicare Cocogrow 5kg bale on the right.
IMG 6816

I much perfer the higher fiber ratio and coarser pith of the botanicare covi. It also has a spongier feel. I wonder why the roots coco is so much finer and darker. I'm thinking it's had more time to decompose. It smells earthy as well.

Moral of the story here for me is:
Buy compressed coco. Guaranteed to be free of pests and the decomposition process has been halted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom