Best Brand Of Worm Castings?

• Thread starter nightmarecreature
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

I've used OGBIOWAR and it did nothing for me after using it for a year. Ive done side by sides with and without. OGBiowar are bulk spores from China. BioAg are spores made in the USA in a lab by real scientists with 50+ years of Botany. All I know is that the VAM works for me and the Biowar did not.

Biowar has BT in it too but fails to kill fungus gnats. I had to go out and buy Gnatrol with BT to kill them.

damn, well never mind then lol. its worked well for me, i thought for sure that the spores were sourced from India.. anyways i havent used the VAM so i wasnt knocking it, just a little shocked at the concentration ratings. Nice thread by the way, i feel that quality ewc is essential and i love trying new products (not that i see a massive difference, i think its just me being an "adventurous" grower...always looking to try something new ha)

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Garden and Bloom has a finished product. The worms come from eggs that are left in the casting. Unless your saying that worms in the soil aren't a good thing, which I would disagree with.

B

B1GWYRM

Not a plug just spreading the info
Microbeorganics.com
wHen it comes to compost tea and brewing or anything id highly reccomend that site. Microbeman knows his stuff.
and id also reccomend biting the bullet and starting a worm farm i mean all your stems and leaves are exactly what they want i mean what else are you doing with it? Throw it away?. Plus a little rock dust and a high quality manure/compost and youll be off to the races.
you can setup one 50 gallon geo pot fill it with all the goodies plus worms 6 months from then youll have two things....1. 65 gallojs of your own homemade DANKity premo wormy poop. 2 you now have enough worms to add to 4-5 more 65 gallon containers...soon enough youll be happier than a worm in shit...literally:D

N

nightmarecreature

damn, well never mind then lol. its worked well for me, i thought for sure that the spores were sourced from India.. anyways i havent used the VAM so i wasnt knocking it, just a little shocked at the concentration ratings. Nice thread by the way, i feel that quality ewc is essential and i love trying new products (not that i see a massive difference, i think its just me being an "adventurous" grower...always looking to try something new ha)

Im not really sure where they are sourced but most everything is from China now a days lol.

The concentrations are in completely different units between the different packs. I'd have to do some research to see lookup the unit of measurements for each. I just use what works and the VAM works for. I try and stick to Agro products.

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Im not really sure where they are sourced but most everything is from China now a days lol.

The concentrations are in completely different units between the different packs. I'd have to do some research to see lookup the unit of measurements for each. I just use what works and the VAM works for. I try and stick to Agro products.
Isn't that the truth it's hard to find anything made in the USA lol

N

nightmarecreature

Not sure if someone already said this but The best Bio Diversity Ive found and all I use is Ancient Forest for my tea.

Ancient Forest is really good stuff, that's what I was using before. The problem is, the bags they sell are big and I never use it all, making it not cost efficient for me at around $30 a bag. I believe the bag goes bad and dries out. I just want something for about $10 a bag.

The Worm Farmer only sells bulk. I only need it for teas, teas only use a cup or so.

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

Not sure if someone already said this but The best Bio Diversity Ive found and all I use is Ancient Forest for my tea.

Ancient forest is all right, i dont like how dry it is. its alasakan humisoil/top soil. however i do use it in my teas but like to incorporate other sources of compost as well. Ive been diggin Bu's blend compost as a store bought compost. I love hiking and what not, you can often find me picking up topsoil from various locations. A couple months ago i was driving through the redwoods and stopped a couple times. I found some awesome forest compost usually at the base of a tree, a decomposing one is even better

N

nightmarecreature

I found some good info.

"All professional microbial products will clearly state the guaranteed biology count. CFU stands for Colony Forming Units and is a measure of product concentration. Similarly "propagules/lb" is the commonly used term for Endomycorrhizae concentration. The higher the number the more biology you get for your money. CFU is usually expressed per unit of weight or volume. CFU/g, CFU/lb, CFU/mL are commonly used in microbiology to express the number of viable (read live) bacteria or fungi. Conversely, other methods including direct microscope count do not differentiate between live or dead cells. Also, be sure to compare like units. It is easy to over look CFU/lb versus CFU/g when looking at package labels – note CFU/g is roughly 454 times more concentrated than CFU/lb."

"microbiology to express the number of viable (read live) bacteria or fungi. Conversely, other methods including direct microscope count do not differentiate between live or dead cells." This seems be the answer to why some work and others dont. Viable spores are key.

N

nightmarecreature

Ogbiowar has a ton of spores in it.

The Root pack and Nute pack average per strain.

5×10E9
=50,000,000,000 Spores

The foliar pack averages
4×10E9
=40,000,000,000 Spores
and
1×10E9
=10,000,000,000 Spores

Im not sure why it didn't work for me...

Im happy with the Vam even if it has less. Just use what ever works for you.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

@nightmarecreature I found with the biowar that it doesn't work well if I add too much...when i first started using it I was more modest with how much I used, then I started using more and more and more and i started seeing less and less results...lately I've cut my dosage to 1/4 of what I was using @ Transplant (which was around 1 tbsp of each per bag of coco) and only add biowar for the last couple hours of tea brews, its definitely been raging again.

But ya, back to vermicomp...idk where you are but in Colorado I've got at least a dozen vermicompost makers within an hours drive, if you only need a little bit at a time you should just make your own! I just built a box for my new house for around 35 bucks, just a few 1/2"x2"x4' boards cut and glued into a 2x2 frame, staple some mesh screen to the bottom, you need two to start and you can keep adding more if you want. For a weekly 5 gal. Tea a 4sq. ft. Worm farm should be perfect once its going.

Last edited:
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Ancient Forest is really good stuff, that's what I was using before. The problem is, the bags they sell are big and I never use it all, making it not cost efficient for me at around $30 a bag. I believe the bag goes bad and dries out. I just want something for about $10 a bag.

Garden and Bloom sells small bags for 15$ at my nursery.

blis84

blis84

Worm Power is the premier source
Rocky Mountain Worm Co. is local and I've seen their facility.

Both can be ordered online, but I recommend finding a good local source. They are out there.
ALSO, good EWC (Earthworm Castings) is NOT cheap. Expect to pay $20+/pound on EWC that is worth while.

I grow pretty much exclusively with EWC and have been in a NoTill setting for quite a while.

@LittleDabbie is correct though. It is a little tasking when you start to increase the size of your garden to a commercial size. Production can almost never keep up with demand at that point and you will have to outsource.
I'm with GU, I've tried like 8 different types of ewc and worm power is the best I've tried by far.

Latest posts

Top Bottom