Best Calcium Only Supplement?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Nectar for the Gods produces *Cretaceous* epoch plants. Truly. They look beyond prehistoric.

The line includes a great deal of liquid, chelated bone meal.

The results are the best I've ever seen. That said I am not a fan of that line for many reasons for my particular circumstances.

Cervantes explains that we are probably not ever getting to calcium saturation and probably most indoor plants are deficient.

Cal mag can create lockout with magnesium which creates a host of its own problems.

I'm using veg and bloom now and ... "its what plants crave" =D

I still would like to reach for those Nectar like results though.
I'm considering what product to add, or even topdress with, that doesn't adjust pH, ppm too much.

Nectars pH up is a liquid lime. Coupled with the lower ppm GH pH Down, it could work.

But I'm wondering what other calcium only additions The Farm might consider or recommend?

Thoughts?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Healthy veg and bloom results after 3 weeks (minus a pH spike I have addressed due to aerated feed barrel on dtw).

Nectar for the Gods produces leaves that look like palm fronds from the dinosaur era. Wanting to step up calcium I think. ALL feedback appreciated. Thanks
P 20160218 172018

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

I'm Organic. Top Dress, Tea Brews 2-4 times a plants cycle and water only. When I want a calcium boost. I top dress Roots Organic Seabird Guano. It's 20% calcium. I use Neptune Harvest Crab Shells more often though. I throw a handful in a bag of soil because they break down much slower than Guanos do.
Good luck!

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Thank you guys (and gal, of course!). I just don't think we can overdo it with Calcium from what I've seen. And veg + bloom is wonderful stuff.

I have the Foliar / Push from their line... Clearly its time to add it. Im also going to add the other ingredients recommended. Nectar uses liquid chelated bone from beginning to end, in massive quantities. MASSIVE. And thats a big reason they get those incredible results. Im convinced.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Ewc have lots of calcium carbonate and the bennies to break it down quick .
Fascinating. Worms are annelids and purely soft tissue, yet their guano "castings" dookey make calcium rich soil. Maybe specifically because they don't absorb it themselves.
My next addition is going to be a red worm DIY compost out of 5g buckets. This reinforces that decision and expedites it. I strongly suspect fresh "live" EWC is much better than dried out bag stuff. Thanks @organix4207

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

You using Push foliar? It's like an instant meal, tons of ready available calcium
Gonna do that today. Haven't used that product yet, but clearly its time. And I cannot thank you enough @ill eagle for leading the way on the V+B.

Someday I will meet up with you and have a fine, fine session. Gratitude.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Do you guys measure your Ca at all? Am I right, in agreeing with Jorge Cervantes and my observations of NtfG that these plants benefit from nearly endless calcium supplementation?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

True on the overdo. And the challenge is with indoor control inputs.
VERY different from outdoor, for sure.

I just know that nothing I've ever seen compares to NftG and the not so secret ingredient is ridiculous liquid bone.

I'm no organic chemist, so trying to reverse engineer their results is a challenge.

There are certainly relationships between minerals and nutrients I don't want to upset.
But I would like to safely up the Ca.

I also suspect that by switching to v+b Dirty the last couple times from their HD (coco) formula lowered the calcium input.
I should go back to that, though I use tap (after vitamin c and aeration to break chloramine)

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

You can overdue anything, including calcium. I get soil tests every season, multiple times, and yes my calcium levels are optimal. So no, I wouldn't agree with Jorge on this one. I am talking outdoor plants.
.My apologies. I had it backward. His claim is that indoor nutrient lines provide it sufficiently.

I still think saturation is important and coco is especially sensitive to levels. Chunky perlite soil with NtfG produces insane plants for sure.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Dont forget Ca issues are often due to high humidity levels.
Ggreat point! I learned this the hard way the last round. Now have 1k watts of dehuey going, keeping RH at 45% +/-

Fk powdery mildew. Hate that sh1t

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Liquid bone meal is calcium and phosphorus. NOTG combines the liquid bone meal with fulpower.
Can save some $$ by using Arrgrand or DTE liquid bone meal.
Hey Leads ~ is there a chemical equivalent that isn't thick bone silt? Or a combination that can be emulated?

Say, chelated calcium powder and fulvics?

MrBlah

MrBlah

Calcium only?

Calcium Hydroxide. CaOH. Also called Slaked Lime or Hydrated Lime.

It has a low solubility but it's more than enough to provide you with plenty calcium in solution. Also, it's very basic. So, it's probably better used a pH up additive than a calcium additive. It's also really freaking cheap.

Chelated Calcium is another choice and has a lower effect on your pH, but it's much more expensive.

Top Bottom