Best Calcium Only Supplement?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@MrBlah good point. If we go there, then CaCl (calcium chloride, the source of Ca in Calcium-25) can also be used here, but care must be taken with application.

Quantrill

Quantrill

one gram of the calcium edta 9.7% in one gallon final volume of solution gets you about 25ppm Ca.

I have used it, and the rate depends on what level of calcium i am trying to achieve. I just use it to reach my targets, after the calcium from the calcium nitrate or other sources fall short of the target. Currently I have been targeting my calcium to be nearly even with my potassium, some where around 175-225 ppm in the working solution.

For foliar calcium, i prefer calcium chloride, because of its point of delequesence, and/or an amino chleated calcium like Biomin calcium. I choose between those two depending on whether or not i want/need extra nitrogen, as the amino chelates all bring nitrogen with them.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
one gram of the calcium edta 9.7% in one gallon final volume of solution gets you about 25ppm Ca.

I have used it, and the rate depends on what level of calcium i am trying to achieve. I just use it to reach my targets, after the calcium from the calcium nitrate or other sources fall short of the target. Currently I have been targeting my calcium to be nearly even with my potassium, some where around 175-225 ppm in the working solution.

For foliar calcium, i prefer calcium chloride, because of its point of delequesence, and/or an amino chleated calcium like Biomin calcium. I choose between those two depending on whether or not i want/need extra nitrogen, as the amino chelates all bring nitrogen with them.

Thanks a bunch!

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Calcium only?
Calcium Hydroxide. CaOH. Also called Slaked Lime or Hydrated Lime.
It has a low solubility but it's more than enough to provide you with plenty calcium in solution. Also, it's very basic. So, it's probably better used a pH up additive than a calcium additive. It's also really freaking cheap.
Chelated Calcium is another choice and has a lower effect on your pH, but it's much more expensive.
I got the chelated from custom hydro nutes. I don't want to monkey with a good nute line but I'm considering very modest additional supplementation

Underthesun

Underthesun

Anyone ever use Xtreme CalCarb? Its a calcium only foliar spray, 31% calcium. It comes in powder form and you mix 1-2 tsp per quart. For flowering plants you spray focused pop-shots on the underside of the outer most leaves and only apply to 6-12 leaves. Avoid friuts and flowering bodies. Looks like vegging plants you just spray all over.

I'm going to give it a try as my Mambo x headband (Jerriatric) is looking a little calcium difficient.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Anyone ever use Xtreme CalCarb? Its a calcium only foliar spray, 31% calcium. It comes in powder form and you mix 1-2 tsp per quart. For flowering plants you spray focused pop-shots on the underside of the outer most leaves and only apply to 6-12 leaves. Avoid friuts and flowering bodies. Looks like vegging plants you just spray all over.

I'm going to give it a try as my Mambo x headband (Jerriatric) is looking a little calcium difficient.
Excellent thinking. I'm considering how to emulate NftG ... but I don't want to throw calcium out of whack with magnesium in coco. Afraid I might fck that up

W

WhoCutTheChs

I'm using the Calcium EDTA as well, I couldn't find any other calcium only option that wasn't good to use at high amounts.

Unfortunately the EDTA is quite expensive to be using as anything but a small supplement to calcium nitrate. It also seems to stick to PVC plastics and create a slimy feeling to them for some reason when used at higher amounts... every time I used it at 2-3 grams per gallon the PVC garden hose and clear PVC tube I use to connect the hose to a pump get slippery/slimy feeling and I have to wipe it off...very odd.

W

WhoCutTheChs

I came across this stuff which might be worth looking into. It's 15% Calcium, 5% Nitrogen.

john martin

john martin

Wouldn't another question be: Is it possible to push that much calcium without the help of their Bloom Khaos?

I have been running Nectar and been playing around with going as far as 2x the rate of BK by late flower (ramping up through flower). Really nice results so far.

As others mentioned, Calcium 25 is awesome (there are threads on it explaining why it isn't worth trying to duplicate and why it works so well, patents... etc)

I have found that by using Ca25 once a week along side Nectar, through veg, that it really plays nice with the BK and allows one to start using BK 1x+ a day by mid-late veg and first week or so of flower (in conjunction with tons of the liquid bonemeal of course).

I should note I am also using their Calcium Syrup, which is mostly Calcium Sulphate I believe (egg shells or whatnot).

Underthesun

Underthesun

I followed directions and sprayed the Xtreme CalCarb on just the underside of several leaves. I have not seen any new signs of calcium deficiency so I'm thinking it worked. It does leave white spots of calcium all over your plants though.

I mixed in the amount of oyster shells and gypsum that was recommended for my soil mix plus a little dolomite earlier this spring but maybe it wasn't enough for my one strain that was hungry for calcium.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Unless you have an acidic mix and water, I feel it's not a good idea to use quite so much of these materials that have carbonate (CO3 in the chemical expression) in them, as strong acids are required to 'break' the molecule apart and make the mineral you're after available.

Oyster shell and dolomite are both rich sources, and you can end up buffering your soil pH far too high for cannabis cultivation. I suggest pick one or the other, not using both. I don't really use dolomite anymore, its Mg:Ca ratio is fairly off, and, being like the oyster shell due to that CO3 molecule, it's very not a ready source of either mineral. Gypsum, however, is fairly readily available, then you just have to account for My which is super easy.

I think many materials (don't hold me to this!) that have the sulfate, or SO4 molecule attached, tend to be soluble. CaSO4 is gypsum and it's soluble. MgSO4 is Epsom salt and it's super soluble. Just the two examples my head can think of. Note that you're getting a good bit of sulfur with both products, and S is vital in plant physiology and vital for building stinky-ass terpenes.

Underthesun

Underthesun

I believe my mix is on the acidic side. Probably too many pine needles in my compost, but its hard too keep them out when pine trees are everywhere. The ponderosa pine forests around here don't have any undergrowth since the needles are so acidic. Makes for easy exploring in the woods.

dorjewright

dorjewright

Looks to me like a Mg deficiency. Purple petolies and some clawing. I wouldn't add Ca without more Mg. which I'd add asap. That being said some varieties are naturally purply. So take with a grain of salt. Epsom preferably.

Top Bottom