Best Led For Hps Supplementation?

• Thread starter MGRox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toaster79

Toaster79

Those heatsinks are ment for active cooling. The fins are too close together and the heat gets trapped between them. I think all of them are more effucient than CXA1304. Keep in mind that CXA1304 is older generation where Cree has been binig their emitters at 25*C whereas with newer generation LEDs are binned at 85*C. That counts for all the LEDs with SC3 or newer technology (SC5 atm) so there's a huge difference in efficiency there. This started with XP footprint dies os 2nd generation followed by XML2 and all the newer emitter they are manufacturing today including their new COBs.

MGRox

MGRox

They are not perfect heatsinks for sure, but what I could get easily for the test (surface area per dollar vs available space). I also don't know their thermal resistivity, so I'll have to spec them out when in operation....hopefully they will work . There will be air space above them too I suppose. I'm wanting to keep them < 30C (Tc).

If this system proves out and the size of heatsink is okay; my preferred version would be this:
Just a pain to try and get those for the moment.

As for the lamps and series...that is something I'm not sure of / kept up with. What series are in the different CXA's? Could you give a rundown on the changes or series order / is there a link for this?

I'm not sure about efficiencies yet, I still need to look; but digikey shows the XHP50 @ 104 Lu/W. Whereas, if I get the top CXA bins; I can get 147 and 127 Lu/W. If another series exceeds this, I am all for it for sure. Even with the best ballasts I'm gonna lose another 10% plus there; so the 127 Lu/w will end up probably around 110 Lu/W final.

I'm not sure with the binning temps xD; I was still just assuming they were all @ 25 but tolerated higher Tj now :D. Looking at the .pdf for the CXA1304 though "85 °C binning and characterization"; is there a specific bin for the 85 or is this saying they all are now?

thanks for helpin' too

Toaster79

Toaster79

Well I would have to go digging through those datasheets myself since it's been a minute since I've been checking them. Might be that they updated their datasheets since. They might even changed the technology and kept the names. Dunno. But if those datasheets are showing the numbers right I'd say you're good there.

Keep it green!

You from Bulgaria? What is your source for larger orders of LEDs?

MGRox

MGRox

The Lu/W numbers I was pullin' from digi-key, but I assume those to be right. The .pdf is from digikey too xD. If I end up liking this system, it will be good to make sure and get the highest efficiencies; so there's some time to look.

Bulgaria :) Naw. States and not one of the better ones' either..meh.

LED's for a larger order I'm not sure yet. Mouser would offer lower minimum, but often Newark is cheaper @ 100 lots. No one carries the high bin stuff, so it would be a special order to get em' if I did.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Have you tried Cutter? They are from down under but, if you contact Mark Riley, I'm sure you can work something out with him and they do have quite the palete of top bins. Even custom made MCPCBs are no brainer with them.

http://cutter.com.au/categories.php?cat=Cree LEDS

Check them out.

p.s.: though Bulgaria cause of the heatsink link ;)

MGRox

MGRox

Nice! Thanks for the link! Not sure I've ever seen that place pop up....but google these days... Very nice to know with the custom boards too!!

xD on the heatsink...yea I wondered if that's why you'd asked. I just can't find those darn things in the US. (kinda funny that because of this I go on ebay and order from China)

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

So you are trying 3000k and 6500k first correct? Which is white light and cool white? What was the deciding factor? Will those keep the internodes tighter like a MH? Thx for all the info :)

MGRox

MGRox

Yea 3k & 65k. I suppose there was a few deciding components. First, to compare these COBS vs individual spectrum LED's; quite simply.....COBS will take less total pieces, orders, mounts etc and I can just slap a COB in and go. So, pretty much I'm being lazy there. :D However, I am still supplementing light and have an HPS; so I'm already supplying what could be fine on it's own for light. This gives more freedom then to choose what LED's to get, to some degree. If I were running LED only; It is probably more likely that I would run a combo of COB and specific spectrum. (would still be deciding xD)

Then, if looking from the perspective of supplemental. The 3K's should help with addition in the upper red bands and the 65K's would be for the blues. As I do not know what will be the best even here, I'm making sure to have complete adjustability so that I can have any amount of the 3k or 65K running. Either of the K LED's will be able to go 0 - 100% in relation to each other. The hps bulb is dimmable as well, so I'll be able to adjust the LEDS to add anywhere from 0 - 70% of total light. The HPS then, can be adjusted to be 30% - 100% of the total.

Last this is going to be only for a 12/12 area but I would not think there is enough blue to shorten node spacing. It might work if I run 100% 65K, 0% 3K and 50% HPS. It would be nice if we could run these tests in hours instead of weeks...bah.

Toaster79

Toaster79

For veg alone you could go with 6500's without MH. Throw in half of the 3000's for a bit of reds and you'll have the tightest node spacing you can imagine. I have my plants sitting under 2700's, 3500's and 6000-6500's. They all have same tight node spacing but the ones under the warmer LEDs are actually reaching for the cool ones. Funny thing :D as the warmer ones are producing more light then cool ones.

Last edited:
MGRox

MGRox

xD the ballast I have for the 150 HPS, can also run a 150w CMH :D @Toaster79, think of the possibilities with that too. This whole setup is intended to be a one-stop high-efficiency (hopefully) micro space. At least the test will end up that way, lol. I did a micro back when I first got into things and I've wanted to do one ever since........ so I'm doin' it!

Toaster79

Toaster79

What fixture do you have and what is the price tag on it? 150W CMH sounds appealing. Been looking at those 315W LEC fixtures but they are a bit steep.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Nice little ballast but I can't seem to find any grow specific bulbs like those 315W. I found a Philips 150W CMH 3000K but I don't know if that's a proper bulb for growing. And with 13000lm at 150W isn't quiet the thing I'm looking for.

MGRox

MGRox

I've not looked a ton yet, but know who makes them in 150w; or at least a few mfg's. I'm not sure if there's a "grow" specific one, though their ability to alter spectrum much is limited.

Philips Mastercolor series are all CMH and they do have a Horticulture bulb @ 315w that is 3100K.
They have a 150W CMH (MED base)
4000K 95 CRI - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4786/MHS-0150377242.html
3000K 85 CRI - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/58037/MHS-0150134635.html

GE has a CMH series ConstantColor (MED base)
4200K 90 CRI - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/57215/MHS-015031067.html
3000K 80 CRI - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/57214/MHS-015031065.html

EYE Lighting (Mogul base)
3700K 75 CRI - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/66006/MH-55199.html

All run on the M102 ballast so should work. The EYE bulb has the highest Lu/W and the 4000k Philips has the highest CRI. So far that's all I've found / looked into yet.

edit: fwiw, the 150w size for MH or HPS isn't typically considered for growing, so it may well be there's no "Grow" specific.

MGRox

MGRox

@Toaster79 ok I'm up to speed with CMH. I hadn't looked into what the LEC was yet or MH stuff really as I don't use it. I didn't realize the 315 I mentioned above was "The" bulb all the guys are talking about with ceramic stuff. Anyway, finally took the time to research all of that.

Are you considering CMH? What aspects of the 315w are you liking the best / consider the most important. Depending on what you are interested in; there may be something that could work. Though, like with all HID's; the lower the wattage, the lower the efficacy. Even the 150HPS takes a big hit when comparing 600 or 1000w.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Well I was thinking 315W CMH when I get me a 3x3 tent but when I think again I'm better of with custom built LED unit (by miself ofcourse) at same power.

3x Meanwell HLG-185H-54A and this module

With full spectrum from 3000K to 6500K

Last edited:
FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

I am just scratching the Information surface wow,
their is a monumental amount of info out there
Have you all seen this company ?
My plan is to make mine for the supplemental to my HPS so Is this a good place to order the
good Stuff...

Super LED Vibes FlyJ

Toaster79

Toaster79

Mouser, DigKey, Radioshack, ... They all have something. The problem is when you start looking for some specific bins/colours. But they are all good sources.

Since I have to orded overseas I usually decide for Cutter. With larger orders there's no shipping involved and the parcel usually takes no more than 14 days to arrive. And they really have some choice there.

Top Bottom