best LED to replace a 1000w HPS

• Thread starter blue-dreamer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blue-dreamer

I need a LED that can produce as much as a 1k HPS. Anyone know which one is the best to buy?:banana1sv6:

619ster

619ster

Yup it will get pretty expensive trying to replace a 1000w hid with LEDs. I paid around $1,500 to get up to 1000w of LEDs. And that was the "deal" price. Had I paid retail, it would have been more like $2,500! All I can say is I don't regret it! With those 1000w of LEDs I can grow in 90F degree weather with no prob (I live where it's consistently hot, except a couple months during winter). With my 400w HPS, I just can't seem to keep the ladies as perky and happy as they are under LEDs in that same environment. Anything over ~84F degrees and they look beat! No co2. So for me, I've been doing good with LEDs due to lack of environment control, but I guess I could've invested in that instead of LEDs? Shit it's done now and I dont regret it one bit!

A couple 400-500 watt LED panels of a quality brand will get you results comparable to 1000w of HID. Just make sure you're looking at actual power draw, and not amount of LEDs watts (there's a difference). Good luck finding your answer!

W

willy led wonka

get the blackstar 900. It will cover a 5x5 area. Just make sure you keep it 30+" from the canopy.

L

ledgrowerr

What about the blackdog platinum xl? And or the new solar storm ??

chazbolin

chazbolin

Anyone growing with the Apache Tech Red/Blue Panels for a full veg-bud?

J

jczam

Has anyone heard of Haight Solid State? They use 6w diodes (which may even be CREE) that are wide beam angled (so fewer diodes with just as good penetration). They're super thin and have no fan (guess that's where the 'solid state' thing comes in). My local hydro store carries them and they've grown tomatoes from seed under it in the store and now less than 2 months later they're starting to flower. There credited as full spectrum and from their tests they seem legit (plus they're not 2 grand). Anyways just wondering if anyone else has heard/used them.

-jczam

L

LISA1983

At present,our LED grow light 200W can repalce HPS 600W.
If replace HPS 1000W,I think LED 400W is enough.Besides,you need to confirm the kind of plants.Because there is big difference for the light during different plants.In common if for some leafy vegetables,they need less light.And for some fruit plants,they need more light.Take Lettuce and Tomato as example,the PPFD(Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density) for Lettuce need at least 150umol but Tomato needs at least 200umol.

L

LISA1983

OK I am new.If for cannabis,our 100W LED for 1M2.and HPS I think need 300W at least.

P

PatFenis

from what I am seeing around on the various grow journal forums it seems that the magnum+ over at www.357magled.com is the only light is on par with a 1000w. there is even a journal that puts the magnum+ up against a 1000w out there.

B

blue-dreamer

you think the magnum PLUS LED can replace the1k HPS? How many actual watts does it use? and why 11 spectrums? i think there's only 3 we need i'm not completely sure.

B

blue-dreamer

it talks about a 700w LED on that site but i cant seem to find it.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

GL700 1
GL700 2
I'd try a Light Beam GL Series. The GL700 is a good replacement for a 1000W HPS. Actual Watts Consumed: 660W @ 110 VAC, Amps: 6A @ 110 VAC, Voltage Available: 110 or 220 VAC and 8 array 80W LEDs. This light have a built in high grade internal reflector for maximum performance. It was designed to ensure the predominant photosynthetic peaks are well covered. All vents are protected by a fine micron screen.

Kebz

Kebz

Given the coverage and penetration of 1000watt HPS, I'd go with an 2 x 300watts LED panels, I stay away from brand loyalty if the lights are built to a quality of construction suitable for use (including quality components, adequate cooling and the correct spectrum for veg and flower). and have been proven, i'd go with those. ;-)

Kushwick

Kushwick

Given the coverage and penetration of 1000watt HPS, I'd go with an 2 x 300watts LED panels, I stay away from brand loyalty if the lights are built to a quality of construction suitable for use (including quality components, adequate cooling and the correct spectrum for veg and flower). and have been proven, i'd go with those. ;-)
not to drag off subject but have you heard of "tao-tronics" I see they have some nice panels which look like the blackstar and are $80-$100 cheaper. Would you say these would be good to use?

I plan on getting a nice panel for a 2x3 space and so far I'm leaning on a couple LEDs that seems fairly priced in my eye just to touch waters.

Taotronics
Dirt genius
G8-150 (I think)
And the blackstar

Kebz

Kebz

Those, Tags are very, very nice. I want one! NO, actually, I want four :-) Not sure if you already mentioned it here or in another post but whats the expected price point for those (if already known)?

Hey Kushwick, haven't heard of those panels and at the moment I'm feeling a little sceptical of cheap manufacturers making all the claims under the sun.

I can't find a single grow log or review online of anyone successfully finishing a grow with the Tao Tronic panels or UFO, I know they have produced led lighting for aquariums but they seem to have no track record in producing effective grow lights and on that basis. They give the spectrums used but not the ration and avoid the TT GL-05 unit they produce, It has no deep red 660nm for bloom! They seem to have used their aquarium lights as the basis for their grow lights, not so good.

The Dirt Genius I looked at seemed to use too few chips in far Red 660nm to be really effective in bloom and don't give any indicator as to which diodes they use (i.e cree, epistar, etc), so you have to assume cheapest possible. The spectrum seems ok, again just lacking enough deep red diodes. For veg the unit would be fine, tho it would struggle in bloom.

DGLGL280UV UV Grow LED
82:

• (2) 410nm Violet UV LED
  • (8) 460nm Bright Blue LED
  • (64) 630nm Bright Red LED
  • (4) 660nm Deep Red LED
  • (2) 850nm Infrared (IR) LED
  • (2) 12,000 Cold White
Again I haven't been able to find any testimonials or grow reports using any Dirt Genius units.
Seems like both are electronics companies who are dipping their toe into the led grow light field as it overlaps with their existing business.
Given the options i'd go with the Black Star units which have at least been well tested and their results can be reviewed and they also have experience of working in this field for a while now.​

You planning on veg or bloom with the unit? If bloom, it might be worth having two for increased penetration and a better footprint. Led's seem to be very focused and have quite small footprints (dependant on beam angle and height ) but that seems to usually hold true.

When looking at the mix of spectrums in led lighting it is highly important to consider the 'Emerson effect;

When Emerson, a scientist, exposed green plants to differing wavelengths of light, he noticed that at wavelengths of greater than 680 nm the efficiency of photosynthesis decreased abruptly despite the fact that this is a region of the spectrum where chlorophyll still absorbs light (chlorophyll is the green pigment in plants - it absorbs mainly the red and blue wavelengths from light, leaving the green light to bounce back and hit our eyes). When the plants were exposed to short-wavelength light, (less than 660nm), the efficiency also decreased. Emerson then exposed the plants to both short and long wavelengths at the same time, causing the efficiency to increase greatly. He concluded that there must be two different photosystems involved in photosynthesis, one driven by short-wavelength light and one driven by long-wavelength (PS1 and PS2). They work together to enhance efficiency and convert the light energy to forms that can be absorbed by the plant.[1]
The light excites the chlorophyll molecules at the reaction centre and causes an increase in energy. As the molecule becomes less excited, its energy is transported through a chain of electron carriers to the next photosystem which does much the same thing and produces energy-carrying organic molecules.

The combination of red and deep red is 'HIGHLY' significant, to plant growth, process and bloom.

It is important to be cheap but not TOO cheap! lol, Cheap bin led diodes will burn out way quicker than top bin led diodes the price difference being anywhere from 3 - 6 times as much for top bin led's.

Sorry to be long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom