best method to sex seeds?

• Thread starter iscrog4food
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I usually don't pop beans but with all the fire genetics to be had these days I couldn't resist the urge(Tahoe OG and white fire incoming)! My question is what is the best way to sex seeds? I was thinking of either waiting until the beans are big enough then taking clones and flowering one clone from each to determine sex and pheno. I guess the other option is to take clones and flower the original palnts but I know that will degrade the genes a bit. I guess I am wondering if there are any methods that I have overlooked or why one method is superior to another. ALso I was wondering about how long to wait to take clones. Should I flower the testers in with my regular garden and just watch for nut sacks everyday or should I pay for a grow tent to keep the boys separate? I know there are some seed whores out there who can offer some info on this topic.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
I would wait till the first time you top..make a clone out of the cutting and flower it to see...or if you have the patients veg until they preflower. I did the veg until preflower thing on my current run. Took almost 3 months from seed to show sex.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Hmmm I have the patients but not really the square footage haha. I knew I should have only popped 5. +rep for the reply.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
haha thanks man.. yeah i hear ya thats why i had to move my bed into my kitchen today..they grow up so fast. lol

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

LOL Doctors have patients. So do caregivers too I suppose, but growers require patience. ;-)

I was just planning on flowering from seed and then reveg whatever is worthy & take clones for bonsai moms. Is this supposed to be less than ideal? I don't really have the space to keep a bunch of clones either.

Z

Zedekia

Revegging is not ideal not at all!!! Take two clones of each at least... before you flower... Or clone early and put, some clones into flower as soon as they root... YOU can sex them pretty quick that way

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
LOL Doctors have patients. So do caregivers too I suppose, but growers require patience. ;-)

I was just planning on flowering from seed and then reveg whatever is worthy & take clones for bonsai moms. Is this supposed to be less than ideal? I don't really have the space to keep a bunch of clones either.

Im trying to start a bonsai mom right now. Seems like great space saver.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Yeah I actually haven't recieved the wifi's but i have em on pre order so soon. The tahoes are regular seeds and I already popped them, they are what I am really asking about.

Jeff: yeah I know how living in the kitchen can be been there done that. You know you are serious when you are using the 50 amp range line and eating off a hotplate! But I am done with those days, I just wanna grow enough to smoke and maby share a bit with my patients.

Darth I was actually talking about Patients. Like I said I got the patients for the extra 10 but not the square footage.

I think maby Ill just flower the rooted clones as suggested and see what happens.

Dr.Dankz

Dr.Dankz

I don't know if this helps you at all but I also have limited grow space. I went the opposite way I started my beans and vegged them for about 6 weeks before i took clones and then flipped the seed plants then I killed all my male clones because I am staying within the laws of Michigan which only allow me a total of 12 plants. I know it was a bit risky without rooted clones but I couldn't wait anymore. I stopped worrying now that the clones are in one gallon pots and vegging up nicely.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Most people r gunna hate on me 4 telling u this but I didn't give a shit.. When I pop reg. Seeds I keep my seedlings in 16 oz cups till they get rootbound & show sex.. Then I trim off a tiny bit of roots from the bottom & transplant all the girls in2 bigger pots.. That's what I would do.. But if u got room takin cuts & flowering the cuts also works great

S

smoke1sun

What I tried last round was to take a cutting stick it in a cup of water and put it in my flowering room. They all showed sex and 2 even rooted. Just gotta keep enough water in the cup and watch for the early busting males.

Good luck

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Revegging is not ideal not at all!!! Take two clones of each at least... before you flower... Or clone early and put, some clones into flower as soon as they root... YOU can sex them pretty quick that way

Don't leave me in suspense bro, tell me why? I'm not scared of losing them, I've revegged before. Nothing to it.

Im trying to start a bonsai mom right now. Seems like great space saver.

They're really great - so easy to manage. I used to keep 4 of them in little 3" coco pots uder a single cfl

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
They're really great - so easy to manage. I used to keep 4 of them in little 3" coco pots uder a single cfl

Im trying my first one now so i might have to ask you a few questions along the way if thats alright with you.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Awesome guys thanks for all the info. Zoo many methods.....so little time

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Im trying my first one now so i might have to ask you a few questions along the way if thats alright with you.

no problem. Now that I think of it I'm not sure if they're 3", but I got them at Lowe's in the garden center and they're about the size of a jumbo coffee cup. You can easily hold it in one hand. I think you could take an empty quart jug of milk and cut off the bottom 1/3 - that's about right. I think one of the keys to keeping them under control is low light. Then what you want to do is cut off the main stem so that you only have 4 branches. Train/tie those in such a way that you're growing a chalice shape (empty bowl in the middle). Then keep topping those four shoot to bush it out and just whack 'em back down real short whenever you feel the need. You'll eventually get an idea of how long it takes with your light & environment for her to grow shoots for cloning so that you can time it right and keep your bonsai moms small at the same time. They're a lot of fun for playing around with pruning actually.

G/L

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
no problem. Now that I think of it I'm not sure if they're 3", but I got them at Lowe's in the garden center and they're about the size of a jumbo coffee cup. You can easily hold it in one hand. I think you could take an empty quart jug of milk and cut off the bottom 1/3 - that's about right. I think one of the keys to keeping them under control is low light. Then what you want to do is cut off the main stem so that you only have 4 branches. Train/tie those in such a way that you're growing a chalice shape (empty bowl in the middle). Then keep topping those four shoot to bush it out and just whack 'em back down real short whenever you feel the need. You'll eventually get an idea of how long it takes with your light & environment for her to grow shoots for cloning so that you can time it right and keep your bonsai moms small at the same time. They're a lot of fun for playing around with pruning actually.

G/L

Thank you. Im gonna get some 4 inch square pots this week. So i assume with low light that weak feeding would be appropriate? This may be a dumb question but how do i know when they are ready for root pruning?

Top Bottom