Best outdoor seeds

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

Specific strains that can thrive in certain climates is crucial when growing outdoors. I have been gathering up some info for myself and thought I might share it here just in case other people have similar interests.

btw, I am searching for seed strains with an early flower time and ones that can handle extreme temperature swings (90-100 in day and 35-40 during nightime). Mold and disease resistant (naturally) would be and added bonus.

I'd be safe to guess that ATF and NT would be good cold weather strains.

Some I ain' never heard of some of em' o_O

anyway, this list is a bit generic... but for what its worth:

Biddy Early
Frisian Dew
Critical
Guerrillas Gusto
OG Kush
Super Silver Haze
Kushberry
Freeze Cheeze 89
Casey Jones
DJ's Blueberry

http://www.dailysmoker.com/best-outdoor-cannabis-seeds

K

kolah

I'd like to find a good strain that grows well up here, grow it out, seed it and then continue growing it out and reseeding it year after year. Basically, I would be producing my own landrace, so to speak.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I'm pretty sure it'd be referred to as an inbred line (IBL), rather than landrace

Its smart to try any afghan and afghan dominant hybrids you can find, most perform great in this state due to our similarities in climate with that region, I think we are on the same parallel roughly as well, elevation is similar....

I also think its smart to start with a seed breeder here in CO, big or small, since he/she has already acclimated the genes to this region for you.

Happy hunting

cannabeans

cannabeans

I have tried the "Guerrillas Gusto" in south western montana ,and let me tell you not to waste your time on that one. She didnt start to bloom until early september and she didnt like the cold nights. waste of my time and money. I also tried sensi's "Durban Poison" that too was a waste. I was really turned off to sensi seeds because the two seed lines I tried were worthless!
My two cents......

K

kolah

I'm pretty sure it'd be referred to as an inbred line (IBL), rather than landrace

Its smart to try any afghan and afghan dominant hybrids you can find, most perform great in this state due to our similarities in climate with that region, I think we are on the same parallel roughly as well, elevation is similar....

I also think its smart to start with a seed breeder here in CO, big or small, since he/she has already acclimated the genes to this region for you.

Happy hunting

Thanks for the correction, NT. And yeah Afghans would be a good choice as would be getting local seeds from CO that have already been bred out here.

K

kolah

Man that sucks. Breeders make their claims but yet so many different factors can effect the outcome (poor breeding, grower errors, weather, etc.) This is where a community forum can help and gathering up different growers results with different strains can help us dial in the good ones and reject the bad ones.

I am taking much of blame for this summers slow grow. I had many 100 degree days in the GreenHouse which shuts down the plant and worse, it shocks it. This often takes a week to recover. Then when things cooled down (32-36) at nights, it further shocked them. From what I have read, extreme stresses such as those can literally shut down the flower process. Eventually they recover but it slows down the entire grow. OTOH, I have had a few strains that were not effected at all.

I have tried the "Guerrillas Gusto" in south western montana ,and let me tell you not to waste your time on that one. She didnt start to bloom until early september and she didnt like the cold nights. waste of my time and money. I also tried sensi's "Durban Poison" that too was a waste. I was really turned off to sensi seeds because the two seed lines I tried were worthless!
My two cents......

waayne

waayne

Kolah I hate seeing you work so hard all Summer to have lack luster results from some of your strains due to genetics.

20 years ago I would have highly recommended Sensi Seeds but I haven't found a keeper pheno out of any of their gear since 1997.....

The quality of their outdated genetics is pathetic for the most part now days as you've seen with that hay they call Afghani #1

I would highly suggest checking out some of the breeders here on the Farm.
I'll think you'll have a far better chance of obtaining AAA genetics here than from companies like Dina Fem and Sensi.......

One can always get lucky and find a nice pheno,but if you want to increase your odds I would look to obtain the best genetics possible.

sky high

sky high

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Kolah i was thinking the other day when we were talking about heaters in the greenhouse about alternatives to heating it due to your location and power limitations and i remembered an alternative greenhouse i had seen that used water tanks inside as thermal mass to control your indoor climate year round,Even in snowy areas.Check these growdomes out;
Growingspaces.com
Growdomes.com
geodesicgreenhouse kits.com
There is also a guy on the net that sells plans for the same thing but do it yourself for like 50 bucks,not sure where its at from you but there are tons of them in use in crestone colorado in fact these greenhouse domes seem to have been developed in colorado.

K

kolah

Thanks all. I like Sky's idea very much and will look inot the autoflower strains and how they are developed.

I hear ya Wayne..Currently I am trying to grow Sensi's afghan 1. I bought for its early finish time but it ain't happening here. Not even close. But again I think the cold temps are shocking my plants, not only slowing growth but I think many are in survival/shut down mode.

Fish, I'll check out those domes tonight.

Interestingly enough some of the best plants this year are pollen chuckers. Hmm.

reeldrag

reeldrag

Kolah I can tell u there are some awesome auto's out there now the first ones back a few yrs sucked but they really have come a long way my buddy does them up in alaska just planted out side in the tundra and they come out really good like i was suprised how good they were for the shear lack of care they get. just a thought homiee. Then he does a small patch for his seed stock for the following yr hes even done one just sitting in his kitchen window in the dead of winter 50 below out side and heres this plant just sitting on the window sill no money envoled except one gallon of dirt a cheap grow bag and he used just ganuo and he got like a zip and half off a 14 inch plant but only had like 6 bucks in the entire grow and he timed it 93 days from seed to harvest

K

kolah

Swiss Miss Marijuana Seeds

Swiss Miss was originally bred in the Swiss Alps. A mix of a very early skunk and a hearty strain Nepal. Swiss Miss can withstand cool high altitude nights. Swiss Miss is mold resistant and can withstand heavy night time condensation. This plant is perfect to cultivate where growing seasons are shorter and colder Swiss Miss is a light smoke with a pleasant skunky flavour.
Indoor / Outdoor: Best suitable for outdoor growing
Plant Type: Indica/Sativa mix
Plant Height: Medium
Stoned or High: Stoney yet high; All round Buzz
THC Level: Moderate 5-10%
Flowering Weeks: 6-8
Yield: 400-500 (Dried grams/m2 in a Sea of Green)
Harvest Month: 9
Grow Difficulty: Moderate
http://www.weed-seeds.net/swiss_miss_seeds.html

K

kolah

Afghans, Paki's and Kush. Hmm. I got some Kush strains I might try next year.

Now autoflower Afghans, Paki's and Kush would be even better.

as Jethro Tull said "wonderin' aloud."

K

kolah

Unknown or Legendary - Guerilla Gold

Guerilla Gold #1 is an extremely early and autoflowering hybrid that is suitable for northern outdoor growers or any outdoor grower looking for an early harvest of potent buds. When put outside as seedlings at the end of May, GG#1 will finish by the end of August to the first week of September. The plants reach only about 3 feet tall and finish with dense spear-shaped buds that are covered in trichomes. GG#1 has a deep sweet seasoning smell with acidic and fruity undertones and the taste is very satisfying. The dried buds are dense and have very good bag appeal being light green in colour with sparkling golden hues. The long-lasting trippy and euphoric high is very powerful and feels more sativa in nature than the GG#2. She packs quite an intense punch that is great for relieving pain, stimulating the appetite, relieving nausea and mostly for just plain fun. Grow Guerilla Gold #1 outdoors in full sun to bring her to her potential. The average yield is 2 ounces per plant when guerilla growing, but a ¼ lb or more is very achievable in ideal conditions.

Outdoor only End of August, beginning of September
Packs quite an intense punch that is great for relieving pain,
Stimulating the appetite, relieving nausea and mostly for just plain fun.

GG is a Hybrid of: Early Gold x (Afghan x Mighty Mite) f7

K

kolah

After suggestions and much reading it appears autoflower is the way to go. For the folks who do not know about AF, Autoflowers are crossed with ruderalis (which flowers without changes in daylight) and then it's back crossed to improve overall potency. They also have what is called Super-Auto's which take a bit longer to finish up but seems to have better overall results. As SH mentioned I could get two grows in one summer. It seems like the way to go as this summer has been a nightmare for growing my MMJ. I am covering plants every night and we had frost again last night. My plants are all shocky and I harvested 3 of them early. I'll keep chugging along as MJ is quite hardy and maybe all this stress will produce some crazy-good smoke. Thanks to all for the help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom