Best Soil To Start My Seeds???

• Thread starter rustyshackleford
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rustyshackleford

rustyshackleford

I have a couple seeds germinating in a paper towel right now and I am wondering what the best soil would be for them to successfully take root. I have some Ocean Forest from Fox Farm and then I also have Coco Coir. My question is do I want the seedlings to have all the nutrition that is in a soil like Ocean Forest while they are getting started or is it better for a seedling to begin in an inert media like Coco Coir and then go to the Ocean Forest? Thanks!

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I have a couple seeds germinating in a paper towel right now and I am wondering what the best soil would be for them to successfully take root. I have some Ocean Forest from Fox Farm and then I also have Coco Coir. My question is do I want the seedlings to have all the nutrition that is in a soil like Ocean Forest while they are getting started or is it better for a seedling to begin in an inert media like Coco Coir and then go to the Ocean Forest? Thanks!
As little nutrients as possible in the soil.

Growrx

Growrx

Ocean forest is 0.30- 0.45- 0.05
Wouldn’t that be low enough for a few weeks of growth?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Ocean forest is 0.30- 0.45- 0.05
Wouldn’t that be low enough for a few weeks of growth?
I've never used Ocean forest or coco coir so I don't know. I just germinate in paper towel and put into soil with no nutrients and feed after 2 weeks.

Madbud

Madbud

Rinse the coco if you use it. Half a solo cup mixed 50/50 should be ok.

rustyshackleford

rustyshackleford

I’ve started all of my seeds in FFOF but usually add about 30% perlite. No nutrients are needed for typically the first month. But it may vary some by plant.

I will be mixing in 25% - 30% perlite into my OF as well so I should be right in that neighborhood! So you do nothing but water for the first 4 weeks and then start adding liquid nutrients when watering at week 5ish, correct?

rustyshackleford

rustyshackleford

Liquid, dry, whatever method you’ve chosen started at about a month/4 weeks, yes.
Cool cool, thanks for the help! I'm sure I'm over thinking it / splitting hairs but I have a few gallons of distilled water I have been using for the germination (I read somewhere that tap water can be harsh on seeds), should I use the distilled water for the first week or two when they're seedlings or just use my tap water, which is about 7.6ph?

Latest posts

Top Bottom