Best Soil To Start My Seeds???

• Thread starter rustyshackleford
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madbud

Madbud

So use a 50/50 split of Ocean Farm and Coco Coir to start the seedlings and then go to full Ocean Farm after they seedlings have taken root?
Yeah, soak the coco first to rinse it out, the ff and coco won’t need watering for at least a couple days. Let the cup dry til it feels light before adding water and no nutes til the cotyledon dries up, usually the third set of leaves. Most ffof growers add some large perlite for better aeration.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I've always wondered about fox farm soils. I've always used cheap nutrientless soil and just added nutrients because I basically know nothing about soils so I was trying to keep it simple. What's the difference between fox farm soil and some cheap nutrientless soil I find at the store?

Madbud

Madbud

So you're saying it's not worth it? ( thebtw soil I get which has always worked great for me is 3.99 a bag and fax farm is $40+)
Plus the cost of the ff trio of nutes down the road but their system of soils and ferts works for pot, like their competition says, we know what you’re growing😉
Edit: i use happy frog with mycorrhizae for seedlings

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Plus the cost of the ff trio of nutes down the road but their system of soils and ferts works for pot, like their competition says, we know what you’re growing😉
Then I think I'm going to stick with the soil I've got 🤣

amekins

amekins

Cool cool, thanks for the help! I'm sure I'm over thinking it / splitting hairs but I have a few gallons of distilled water I have been using for the germination (I read somewhere that tap water can be harsh on seeds), should I use the distilled water for the first week or two when they're seedlings or just use my tap water, which is about 7.6ph?
Well I’m a tap girl so...

growsince79

growsince79

I have a couple seeds germinating in a paper towel right now and I am wondering what the best soil would be for them to successfully take root. I have some Ocean Forest from Fox Farm and then I also have Coco Coir. My question is do I want the seedlings to have all the nutrition that is in a soil like Ocean Forest while they are getting started or is it better for a seedling to begin in an inert media like Coco Coir and then go to the Ocean Forest? Thanks!
I start them in straight cocoloco. 2000+ ppm new and seeds love it. I'm pretty sure ffof is about the same.

Ndana

Ndana

I have a couple seeds germinating in a paper towel right now and I am wondering what the best soil would be for them to successfully take root. I have some Ocean Forest from Fox Farm and then I also have Coco Coir. My question is do I want the seedlings to have all the nutrition that is in a soil like Ocean Forest while they are getting started or is it better for a seedling to begin in an inert media like Coco Coir and then go to the Ocean Forest? Thanks!
Plants have grown by themselves for millions of years in soil. They don't need extra nutrients for the first couple of weeks, after that, maybe add a little boost. I have been growing for several years now, and have tried everything. I started with soil, then tried DWC, rockwool, coco, and everything in between. I have
Don't overthink it, plants grow themselves! If you want to grow in soil indoors, just water it lightly when its dry. If it dries too fast, up pot.
Most comercial organic soils are fine, just add perlite.

rustyshackleford

rustyshackleford

So I went with the Fox Farm Ocean Forest with 30% perlite added to the mix. The seeds were done germinating today and have been planted. Heres a picture.

IMG 1136

I don't have a LED or Fluorescent bulb that will cover all of them so I'm putting them straight into the tent, which has a 600w HP light hood. Right now I have it sitting about 3.5 feet above the soil. Does this sound like a good distance?

Also, thanks for all the advice and discussion... definitely learning a lot and I will keep updating my progress.

rustyshackleford

rustyshackleford

Plants have grown by themselves for millions of years in soil. They don't need extra nutrients for the first couple of weeks, after that, maybe add a little boost. I have been growing for several years now, and have tried everything. I started with soil, then tried DWC, rockwool, coco, and everything in between. I have

Don't overthink it, plants grow themselves! If you want to grow in soil indoors, just water it lightly when its dry. If it dries too fast, up pot.
Most comercial organic soils are fine, just add perlite.
Thanks I will try not to overthink it but I'm sure I will haha... once I hit a stride I'll stop stressing as much though.

quirk

quirk

FF Light Warrior

zebrausa

zebrausa

Yeah, soak the coco first to rinse it out, the ff and coco won’t need watering for at least a couple days. Let the cup dry til it feels light before adding water and no nutes til the cotyledon dries up, usually the third set of leaves. Most ffof growers add some large perlite for better aeration.
I use salts for fertilizer. Coco coir/perlite 50/50 mix. 2 weeks old shitty clones.

IMG 20201105 163044097
Growrx

Growrx

I just started my first 2 autos ( Seedsman Alaskan purple auto), and a mysterious seed from my street weed that made it through the grinder..
Used this soil so let’s see what happens.. I was told I wouldn’t need to add any amendments for about 3 weeks, I did add in some “great white” so just watering for now..

Mother Earth Products HGC714902 Terracraft Potting Soil, All Purpose Potting Soil For All Plants, Flowers, Vegetables And Tomatoes, 12 Qt., Natural
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLYQ9H9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_vVjPFbWFXFFAF

RR1

RR1

Smart question. For years all my seedlings went into Promix with 10-15% worm castings. That's it. Feed nothing else until you have about 4 leaf sets or so.
Some of the other premade soils can be way too hot for babies. As far as other plants I followed Subcool's recipes, and made soil in bins, and turned and watered it for 4-6 months before I ever used it. Also much cheaper soil using base ingredients like 3 types of bone meal, kelp meal, epsom salt, blood meal, etc. You get the idea.
I don't do soil much anymore, those bins got heavier as I got older.
Look up Subcool, he's got great soil ideas. One time I accidently dropped a toothpick in a bin, and in a month I had a small maple tree. ;)
Good luck,
RR1

rustyshackleford

rustyshackleford

Smart question. For years all my seedlings went into Promix with 10-15% worm castings. That's it. Feed nothing else until you have about 4 leaf sets or so.
Some of the other premade soils can be way too hot for babies. As far as other plants I followed Subcool's recipes, and made soil in bins, and turned and watered it for 4-6 months before I ever used it. Also much cheaper soil using base ingredients like 3 types of bone meal, kelp meal, epsom salt, blood meal, etc. You get the idea.
I don't do soil much anymore, those bins got heavier as I got older.
Look up Subcool, he's got great soil ideas. One time I accidently dropped a toothpick in a bin, and in a month I had a small maple tree. ;)
Good luck,
RR1
Damn, well I went straight into the Fox Farm but did mix in 30% perlite... hopefully its not too hot for them.

Currently I have a 600w HPS light for them. Does a distance of 3.5 feet from the top of the pot sound like the right distance? I don't want to burn them as they sprout but I also don't want to keep it so far away they stretch out looking for light. (I fucked up and stretched out my seedlings last time with a small LED)

growsince79

growsince79

Damn, well I went straight into the Fox Farm but did mix in 30% perlite... hopefully its not too hot for them.

Currently I have a 600w HPS light for them. Does a distance of 3.5 feet from the top of the pot sound like the right distance? I don't want to burn them as they sprout but I also don't want to keep it so far away they stretch out looking for light. (I fucked up and stretched out my seedlings last time with a small LED)
Seedlings grown under hps stretch. Imo cfl are the best lights for seedings.

Top Bottom