best vertical bulb

• Thread starter digdugdank
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
im setting up a small box for a 400w vertical bare bulb and was wondering which bulbs i can use and which ones to stay clear of. i wanted to run the hortilux eye blue mh but states in ad horizontal bulb. has anyone run one of these bulbs in vertical position.i have a 400w mh ballast and 250w hps ballast available for use. thanks digdug.

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
awesome thanks guys im taking small steps towards vertical bare bulb indoors. im almost done building my box i will post pics of setup and log first grow. going bulb shopping now :) thanks digdug.

G

growbigtrees

I rock hortis and ushios. Both are great ushios are definitely a larger hit to the wallet so I usually grab them when they're on sale.

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
im going with a 250w hps my local supply store does not carry anything less then 400w. so online shopping is my option. my box is 3x3x3 with a 1 ft airbox under the grow area. 3/4" plywood doors open fully on all 4 sides. im using a 24"x24" metal animal gate for screening, 4 plants on each side totaling 16. im shooting for 1 oz dry per plant. fingers crossed!! im using banana og for first run, clones are a week old and topped once, and still vegging outside during day t5's at night. i will veg till 12" then flip. more pics coming as i go. thanks digdug!!

20130607 155234
20130610 153432
digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
thanks guys i have a good feeling about this design. ive got a bigger 1000w vertical bare bulb design that will be built next. after a much needed move. ive done a few more things to my box. here are more pictures of details :) i had to get rid of my plans for a two bedroom grow area and down size to tent sized cabinet grows. i have one last 1000w horizontal grow in week two of flower. thanks digdug!!

Fan and ballast
Box top
Air ducts
Air filter
digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
Im running the box overnight for first time with plants tonight i ran it last night with no plants. My temps are gonna be a little warmer then outside temps its in my garage and it is steady 76-82 inside box at plant level the humidity is 49%. Im sure as the night cools down so will the box. The cuts are still in party cups Im waiting to transplant until Im ready to flip. I run spikes in my finish containers so transplant time is extra special careful time. 1 gal fabric root trapper pots with nice treasure chests of goodies to find.i give about a week of veg after transplant before switching to flower.this is gonna be a fun ride. The banana og mom is flowering out now and she is a multi topped beast.ill try to add a pic of her.and no luck :( Im gonna smoke a few bowls and try later :) thanks digdug!!

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
With pots
Final home
Banana og mom

a little more veg time for the new box then time to flip. the banana og mom is in week 3 and looks frosty. very sweet smelling. im very excited to see how this 250w box of green turns out flowers. if it looks anything like the mom does under a 1000w air cooled hood, then i will happily build at least 3 more boxes to have 4 total harvesting one box every two weeks or so, for about the same cost as one 1000w + accessories. thanks for stopping and checking it out, digdug!!

ttystikk

ttystikk

This looks great- and it looks a lot like what I'm doing, especially when you mentioned that you're trying this with a thouie. We should compare notes...

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
hey tty, the 1000w version is gonna be more like a two shelf book case with wheels.6-3gal pots on each shelf totaling 12 per book case x4 facing a vert thouie. im working on a light mover that moves the bulb up and down about 18". i have a drawing and might even post it on here when i get a chance. update on the 250w box of green= warm nights are coming and i might put flexible ducting on the intake side of the box so i can get cooler air from outside. my horizontal grow is also in my garage and doesnt help the heat situation. right now the temps are about 79-84 with the box running. not too bad but i dont want it to get any warmer. the girls have jumped up and grown about an inch and a half and are real close to flipping. thanks, digdug!!

ttystikk

ttystikk

My own plan is for fewer, larger plants lining the walls of the vertical cylinder, each growing out of a 27 gallon tub site in an RDWC. The current plan is for each of these plants filling in a trellis that's 4 feet tall and 6 feet wide. The whole cylinder would be 4 feet across. Two plants should run an elbow plus each. I'm hoping for two each from one thouie.

The light mover part is what is really new, though. I haven't seen anyone else try it besides me- and mine isn't up and running yet. I would like to see a more detailed explanation of how your mover works.

I bought a small dc powered hobby motor and a reversing switch. The motor will wind the cord holding the bulb up until the reversing switch is tripped, and then it unwinds all the way- and winds back up, hitting the reversing switch again... mine will move the full 4 feet up and down. I may look into supplemental spectra to put at top and bottom.

I'll have a fan blowing air from the floor up, one of those fans with a rotating face to deflect air, have it soon and blow air on the canopy. The cylinder naturally allows for shedding heat, so temps will be well controlled top to bottom.

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
im going to use an electric rotisserie motor from a bbq. im goint to attach a 18"-24" round disk im going to run a bearing on this disk to attach the cable. then cable goes to pully and up and down we go. the rotisserie keeps going the same direction. still on paper and in my head until i move i cant go any bigger. i might just make a prototype just to have it ready for when i do move. im done building the box so why not :) i love building new setups. i like your big plant idea. the reason i went with smaller and more was for easier rotation in a perpetual garden. i could harvest a dozen plants every two weeks. same with this small box. i could run 4 different strains i could harvest one side at a time. this first run is all the same banana og and started at the same time. i want to hit a lb dry with a 250!!. now thats a milestone!! at least for me! thanks, digdug!!

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
T5s in box
its been too hot for the hps to be running during the day so i put the t5's on top of the screens. it dropped the temps below 80 and is still vegging nicely. trying to upload a picture and having troubles. i would post more to this site but the upload problem keeps me from enjoying this site..​

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
can anyone tell me how to rotate my uploaded pics once they are posted? maybe my computer is not the best or im an idiot could be a little of both. but for real, rotated pics suck! sry had to vent!! thanks digdug!!

ttystikk

ttystikk

im going to use an electric rotisserie motor from a bbq. im goint to attach a 18"-24" round disk im going to run a bearing on this disk to attach the cable. then cable goes to pully and up and down we go. the rotisserie keeps going the same direction. still on paper and in my head until i move i cant go any bigger. i might just make a prototype just to have it ready for when i do move. im done building the box so why not :) i love building new setups. i like your big plant idea. the reason i went with smaller and more was for easier rotation in a perpetual garden. i could harvest a dozen plants every two weeks. same with this small box. i could run 4 different strains i could harvest one side at a time. this first run is all the same banana og and started at the same time. i want to hit a lb dry with a 250!!. now thats a milestone!! at least for me! thanks, digdug!!

This is fascinating stuff! The basic difference between yours and mine is scale. I even have some more ideas about pushing the bigger setup. Walk first, then run! I am aiming for 4lb with a thouie- isn't that about the same as one with 250?

digdugdank

digdugdank

Select Genetics
i havent thought about how much on the 1k but the math is right. 4lb per light should be doable my 1k set up would be 12 plants on each shelf in 3gal bags 4 shelves. 1oz per gal. estimate.that would be rockin it hard. i love dreaming. btw ive had all kinds of ideas pop into my head about the details of my light mover.i was just looking for materials around the house,and picturing it in my head,i cant wait to start tooling. have you started your set up yet tty?

ttystikk

ttystikk

i havent thought about how much on the 1k but the math is right. 4lb per light should be doable my 1k set up would be 12 plants on each shelf in 3gal bags 4 shelves. 1oz per gal. estimate.that would be rockin it hard. i love dreaming. btw ive had all kinds of ideas pop into my head about the details of my light mover.i was just looking for materials around the house,and picturing it in my head,i cant wait to start tooling. have you started your set up yet tty?

The fucker would be together right now if not for my eye surgery. I have everything I need and the girls are chomping at the bit!

Top Bottom