Best Way To Deal With Stalk Rot...

• Thread starter MendoGiantZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

So i have brought this subject up a couple of times and I have a couple more questions... Hoping some people have some good insight..
I have been overwatering a little bit and also buried some of my stalks a little to deep.. Due to this fact and a couple other factors about 9 plants total out of both of my medical marijuana gardens are infected around the base of the stalk (right where the soil touches it or sometimes where the massive stalks have a crack in them from getting so big)

I have been spraying on a product called Mad Farmer hydrogen peroxide and it works okay.. I just bought a product called organicide just for stalk rot and it says it systemic.... I mixed it up 50 / 50 with water and sprayed the infected area....
I was wondering if anyone had used a product called regalia or if anyone knows any other products that work really good...
Should I also be adding the organicide into my 1000 gallon watering tank and watering it in?????
I was also wondering does bacteria grow in my water tank if i leave unused organic nutrients in the tank for a couple days before my next feeding (could this be one of the reasons I'm getting stalk rot??)

Any other pointers would be appreciated.... Next year we have our drip system all dialed in and am gonna make sure to get a really good root ball and transplant my plants in with 3 inches of space above the soil so the stalks don't ever get watered (or not nearly as much)

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

Microbiology. Compost, AACT, some LABS...

Systemic means the plant is most likely no longer medical as that stuff will be in it forever, no matter how dilute it gets, that is how half-life works. Try to increase the air flow over the soil and obviously stop the over waterings.

It is pretty tough to recover from honestly, it is like having your legs start to just rot off. In my experience dealing with this generally less is more, so be careful to not make the situation worse.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
It has been my experience that once stem rot sets in, there isnt a reliable cure for it. I wont say pull the plug at this point. Someone other Farmers here may have the cure.!!! I just cant speak to it. Lost every stem rot battle.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

From my experience farming what happens is everyone is in awe as well as the grower on the big ass plant and healthiness of the plant but we tend to never get down on our hands n knees to actually look at the whole plant ,, as in stalks and by the time we see something the damage is done
I mentioned it in your post mendo purchasing 8 "- 10" PVC pipe cutting it 12 - 15 " and have stalkk grow in there you can drill slots or holes for aeration this helps prevent splash as well as damp areas that stay damp for to long this also keeps mulches if you use them away from stalks , when your throwin it down
people tend to water always around stalks i never got it , people need to make a circumference area where it stays preferably dry water on outsides to force root growth outwards etc
If you can another great deterent is using up some old tires :) use that as the dry zone around stock

Anyways your on right track if caught fast enough sterilize area with H202 / water and even alcohol at a light strength.
then let it dry out and seal it with pruning grease and hope for the best but its a fungus so its best to treat it with a fungicide
IMG4584
IMG4633

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
From my experience farming what happens is everyone is in awe as well as the grower on the big ass plant and healthiness of the plant but we tend to never get down on our hands n knees to actually look at the whole plant ,, as in stalks and by the time we see something the damage is done
I mentioned it in your post mendo purchasing 8 "- 10" PVC pipe cutting it 12 - 15 " and have stalkk grow in there you can drill slots or holes for aeration this helps prevent splash as well as damp areas that stay damp for to long this also keeps mulches if you use them away from stalks , when your throwin it down
people tend to water always around stalks i never got it , people need to make a circumference area where it stays preferably dry water on outsides to force root growth outwards etc
If you can another great deterent is using up some old tires :) use that as the dry zone around stock

Anyways your on right track if caught fast enough sterilize area with H202 / water and even alcohol at a light strength.
then let it dry out and seal it with pruning grease and hope for the best but its a fungus so its best to treat it with a fungicide View attachment 628627 View attachment 628628

Most valuable post bro. Makes perfect sense to me anyway. Thank you for sharing your perspective and fix. That will go in my cannabis tool box for sure. Hell in my gardening handbook to boot!!! Respect

grayarea

grayarea

only happens to me when i use clones from old woody mothers. the older the strain the harder it is to keep perfectly healthy.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

then let it dry out and seal it with pruning grease and hope for the best but its a fungus so its best to treat it with a fungicide View attachment 628627 View attachment 628628
I'm gonna have to do something like that on every plant next year. I did it on about ten plants this year and it worked really good. I built a plastic ring out of 7 gallon pots and made about a 10" circle around the stalk. I might make a bigger circle next year so there is more breathing room around the stalk like you mentioned . I Shoulda done every plant. A lot of the issues were from not having the drip system set up and now I'm paying for it. Every time I take anyone into my gardens they are in complete awe. But I'll I can ever do is focus on the problems. I'm always looking for bugs or powder or stalk rot. Hardly ever am I pumped on having big ass plants anymore.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Most valuable post bro. Makes perfect sense to me anyway. Thank you for sharing your perspective and fix. That will go in my cannabis tool box for sure. Hell in my gardening handbook to boot!!! Respect
Only trying to help i am sure he could find some nice small compact car tires or something like that make a boundry so fellow workers also know the rules of engagment no fuking watering near stalks lol

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

A couple times I have caught the stalk rot early. I rub it with my fingers in the bad area and spray it with the mad farmer and let it dry out for a couple days and it goes away. I hope this organicide works. It seems like spraying the area with anything makes it more wet and counter acts whatever I am spraying. Oh well. Overall it's only on about 3 percent of the plants. I have no caterpillars this year so hopefully that will counteract the stalk rot damage :)

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

you know while back a fellow grower was telling me when he plants trees for the city they will even use land scape plastic edging around stalks
but i am impementing tires got some ideas on drilling some holes on top tires and running wire rings on tree grows another type of plant support where i live it can reach hurricane winds in a heart beat
shit last week woke up and my house was 2 blocks over haha kidding

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

It's funny cause I lease the property from an old hippie. He literally has a hoarding problem and has 10 old cars and about 80 tires on the property. :)

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

what ever you do bro i know you got workers make sure who ever you put in charge to add medicine i call it make sure they were gloves have a designated pail etc and the person changes gloves every tree and discards and cleans him self up before doing anything else
I have worked at parents botanic garden and holy shit wash stations before entering any green house as well as house or lab coats
No smoking on premises and if your a employee and smoke your fired on the spot if you had a smoke and did not wash your hands before handling a plant
that is a difference between having a sucessful business disease free

But i think this needs to be treated like a virus in a sense really who knows if its a bacteria disease, fungi or parasitic unless you get it culture tested or something like that but fuck that ,,that is money
Mendo your lucky you can grow i am in a country that is illegal i tell yeah lol
if she wasnt i would show you a stupid 1000 plant tree grow lol on a farm

Anything to help though the pail idea is a great idea or or tires might be a good as well what ever you can get for free more or less

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

It's funny cause I lease the property from an old hippie. He literally has a hoarding problem and has 10 old cars and about 80 tires on the property. :)

Do me a favor tell me what old cars he might have out there i like to play with old cars during winter and it gives me a reason to come for a visit and smoke and maybe share some seeds :)
ButTires fuck nothing wrong with that there black heat up the soil better growth at the beginning and who knows maybe the smell of rubber a deterrent ro insects again idunno
63  tubbed

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Do me a favor tell me what old cars he might have out there i like to play with old cars during winter and it gives me a reason to come for a visit and smoke and maybe share some seeds :)
ButTires fuck nothing wrong with that there black heat up the soil better growth at the beginning and who knows maybe the smell of rubber a deterrent ro insects again idunno View attachment 628707
Smoking weed and chilling is Definetly possible. The old hippie hoarder getting rid of anything on the property is very doubtful. It's like pulling teeth when I'm doing dump runs to make him throw anything away. :)

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Can i ask did cherry pie have any rot issues ?? and how did it turn out ?? on 3rd year growin cherry pie everyone loves it here couple just starting there final journey
IMG4566
IMG4569

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

Cherry pie plants don't have any stalk rot yet. Seems like the blue dreams and the sour d get it the easiest. None of the og crosses or seed starts I have had any issues. The cherry pie comes out amazing. Really dense buds and it's very stony.

Blaze

Blaze

Blaze too busy of late? He's very familiar with Regalia use.

Yeah I've been out of town for a week, just got back last night :)

Regalia is definitely a excellent product and a good 'cure all / preventative' for fungal issues. It is not a normal fungicide, but rather it strengthens the plants defenses against fungus so it work against both soil born and foliar fungal and bacterial pathogens. As a result it has minimal chance of building tolerance, works on a wide range of pathogens, and since it can be soil drenched, can be used all the way through flower. We use it every 10-14 days all season long.

I have a few friends that have had good success with BioPhos Pro as well, but it is not organic, and you have to order it online. It has low risk and environmental impact and is very safe to use so long as the label is followed.

Over-watering is usually the main culprit but you might have some sort of fungal pathogen in your soil is the issue is wide spread. Pics would help a lot. I have buried a few plants too deep before and we were fighting it all season long.

Oh and don't use old tires for your garden, ever. They contain a ton of carcinogenic chemicals and toxins that can potentially leach into your soil over time. They have no place in a garden, and should NEVER be used to grow edible of medicine.

Top Bottom