Best way to get more power out of a rental?

• Thread starter gooey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gooey

Hey i am just moving into a new place...trying to figure out my best way to get more juice....i have a electrician who grows to come in....my only question is if its a rental how can i get the most juice for my room without going thru the hassle of re running wires thru walls etc etc....not so sure the owner will approve...anyways i am completly newb when it comes to electric stuff i am using 3k plus floruo veg plus all the normal etcs co2, fans, scrubber, etc...thanks for any input...peace n puffs

hiboy

hiboy

Well no matter what wires have to be run. If it was me i would run a 6/3 romex from the panel to your grow room, and land those wires in a small 60 amp sub panel. From there you can hit all your equipment and keep most of your changes in that room.
hiboy

G

gooey

right on thanks for the reply ...any estimate on the cost of this on avg?

S

saner1r

Have your buddy put in a pig tail and use a construction spider box.

I got two of them for 80 bones!

hiboy

hiboy

I'l d leave the spider box on the job site and run the 6/3 romex. cost for labor might take u up to 500 bucks maybe. Thats a hi guess, and material, well i think the wire is about 1.75 a foot or so, copper is at all time high right now. Small panel and breakers might run you 150.
hiboy.

420Gator

420Gator

I'd use that wire that's like 5-6$ a foot and use the garage,its the least "finished" space in the house. Wire it for 80amps incase u wanna upgrade

hiboy

hiboy

I'd use that wire that's like 5-6$ a foot and use the garage,its the least "finished" space in the house. Wire it for 80amps incase u wanna upgrade

What wire you talking about for five six bucks a foot GATOR.. Dont think gooey has a garage, at least he never mentioned one
hiboy

420Gator

420Gator

its red,black,green,bare, all wrapped in a black insulation. rated for like 600 amps

gooey u have a garage?

DeRail

DeRail

its red,black,green,bare, all wrapped in a black insulation. rated for like 600 amps

gooey u have a garage?

it would be black red White and bare copper or green
it is rated for up to 600 Volts not amps

how many amps do you need?

420Gator

420Gator

if u do have a garage u can probly wire the sub panel thru the dryer outlet

hiboy

hiboy

You mean s/o cord. What could you do with it besides run it down the hallway. Its rated teh same as romex, just triple the cost . It is rated to be ran exposed, as to where romex has to be in walls, ceilings.
hiboy

G

gooey

i have a garage...not sure if it has its own 50 amp service or not if not then i can just run from the house set up a subpanel in the garage...like the garage thought alot guys, thanks for the estimate hiboy so im thinking to be safe prolly talking 800 total...once again thanks alot guys peace n puffs

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Safty 1st people.

For code, indoor house has to be in cover correctly. Romex or stranded could be pulled threw some EMT also or armor flux. Place a strap every 3 ft min.

The only thing i have done is place 120v@20a right next to the breaker. Then ran power cords and power strips. Never run over 75% with everything too..

Knew a guy that the flux saved his house because all the wires got on fire inside... Let this be a good lesson for using the right size wire & power pull at constant loads!

hiboy

hiboy

Safty 1st people.

For code, indoor house has to be in cover correctly. Romex or stranded could be pulled threw some EMT also or armor flux. Place a strap every 3 ft min.

The only thing i have done is place 120v@20a right next to the breaker. Then ran power cords and power strips. Never run over 75% with everything too..

Knew a guy that the flux saved his house because all the wires got on fire inside... Let this be a good lesson for using the right size wire & power pull at constant loads!

First off its FLEX, made in aluminum and steel but you dont want steel. Sure its great to run flex and pull some thhn wire thru it but that's more difficult for the uneducated person needing more power. Code is every 4' put a strap and within 12" leaving any connection, (coupling or connector). And yeah i'ld definitely use the correct wire and power pull . # 6 wire would do you well enough.
hiboy

G

gooey

not planning any of this myself lol saftey first always...thanks again guys

CannadianCream

CannadianCream

Easiest thing for me since I have no electrical experience and my apartment is messed up as far as the wiring. Was to go to my local shop and get a 40 amp power panel that plugs into range outlet. It has 8 240 outlets and 4 120 outlets two live and two timed. cost me about 250 bucks. totally worth it for me. just had to get a set of hotplates to cook with insteadinstead hahah. I think the dryer outlets are only 30amps. Im sure it would be easy to build. Im just not ready for it lol. That seems to be the easiest thing to do without modifying or hiring anyone.

P

primeform

Easiest thing for me since I have no electrical experience and my apartment is messed up as far as the wiring. Was to go to my local shop and get a 40 amp power panel that plugs into range outlet. It has 8 240 outlets and 4 120 outlets two live and two timed. cost me about 250 bucks. totally worth it for me. just had to get a set of hotplates to cook with insteadinstead hahah. I think the dryer outlets are only 30amps. Im sure it would be easy to build. Im just not ready for it lol. That seems to be the easiest thing to do without modifying or hiring anyone.

exactly. buy a load center and build a 50 amp extension cord for it to plug into. You get a 50 amp oven plug and hard wire it from your box. just use a 50 amp breaker. can run up to 8 1000 watt lights on 50 amps. Just dont cheap out on the wire make it nice and thick.

prime

G

gooey

right on guys thanks for the help...any thoughts on a nice flipper trying to get 8k on a flip flop being hearing so so reports on powerbox's...not sure what people are using...once again thanks everyone...peace n puffs

hiboy

hiboy

Still curious about this spider box, sure ive used em on jobsites, but what are you gona do, plug it into the 50 amp outlet and have the cord running down the hall or wherever to the room, I just bought the wire that is used for this application to temp. power a house, it is 6/4 S.o . cord at five bucks a foot. Its not meant to run thru attics , down walls, etc but im sure it could.
hiboy

Top Bottom