Best way to judge a mystery strain ripeness?

• Thread starter Leelandgrow3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

What would be best way to just a mystery strain ripeness? With week five being over tomorrow

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Same as any other strain. Check the trics and harvest when you feel it’s time. Different strains finish at different times. It’s best to know what works the best for each strain and harvest accordingly. You may need to experiment to find your sweet spot.

Finishing times by breeders are rarely ever very accurate. I find most need 1-3+ weeks on top of what’s stated in order to be ready. It’s a common practice to understate finishing times to sell more seeds.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Same as any other strain. Check the trics and harvest when you feel it’s time. Different strains finish at different times. It’s best to know what works the best for each strain and harvest accordingly. You may need to experiment to find your sweet spot.

Finishing times by breeders are rarely ever very accurate. I find most need 1-3+ weeks on top of what’s stated in order to be ready. It’s a common practice to understate finishing times to sell more seeds.
As a general rule, Sativa takes about 4-6 weeks longer to finish flowering than Indica strains. Auto strains flower and finish on their own schedules, but generally follow the Sativa or Indica traits. Breeders quote ideal and minimum time periods to convince growers that their seeds mature faster, which equates to more/bigger buds and more money. Like @JVM2 sez, add 1 to 3 weeks on average to their claims.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

Well I was looking at 6 weeks start flushing I seen a couple amber trichs thru whole plant tomorrow is end of week 5

Bullettooth

Bullettooth

I was wondering this same thing (I’m still in Veg) and I was wondering how can you tell if it’s worth growing at all...? Like is it a good strain with good terps, flavs and thc levels? I have a bag seed I started with a couple of purchased strains and it looks thin and weak compared to the seeds I bought. It looks to be either a hybrid or indica as it’s rather short, but the leaves have looked sad and wilted since day 1 where the others look healthy and fine. I might just toss it outside and see how she does?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I was wondering this same thing (I’m still in Veg) and I was wondering how can you tell if it’s worth growing at all...? Like is it a good strain with good terps, flavs and thc levels? I have a bag seed I started with a couple of purchased strains and it looks thin and weak compared to the seeds I bought. It looks to be either a hybrid or indica as it’s rather short, but the leaves have looked sad and wilted since day 1 where the others look healthy and fine. I might just toss it outside and see how she does?
You never really know how things are going to grow until the end. Sativa usually doesn't smell as much or get coated in Trichomes like Indica plants will, but that doesn't mean that they won't be good. If it isn't causing any problems or taking up resources, then I'd let it go. You never know! You could also take a single branch and root it, which will give you a much smaller plant to judge the potency and taste with. If it is good, you can try to clone it without taking up much space or resources from the others.

Bullettooth

Bullettooth

You never really know how things are going to grow until the end. Sativa usually doesn't smell as much or get coated in Trichomes like Indica plants will, but that doesn't mean that they won't be good. If it isn't causing any problems or taking up resources, then I'd let it go. You never know! You could also take a single branch and root it, which will give you a much smaller plant to judge the potency and taste with. If it is good, you can try to clone it without taking up much space or resources from the others.
Good advice! I notice after a quick trim today the underside of the leaves are red like one of my sour strawberry F2 plants... might not be a bad strain but rather just a weak seedling that will either turn male or hermi due to all the stress it’s showing in the leaves... like you mentioned only time will tell! Sadly lots of money and nutrients too.. lol

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

I say she looks pretty yummy dont mind my bad seeds they just dont produce like they should time for some good gens in week 6 happy growing she is putting on more weight with each day that's forsure

20190906 090217
20190906 090231
20190906 090241
20190906 090254
Top Bottom