BEST WAY TO POP SOME SEEDS

• Thread starter Medusa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Don't try too hard... Volunteer seedlings in the compost pile. These germed in early April at 6500ft. It's been below freezing almost every night since then.

T

Toomp

Hi Farmers ! I would like to know how everyone likes to pop there seeds... I usually scruff up with a fingernail file ...soak in bottled water..as soon as sprout shows ...into a paper towel ..sometimes in a baggie in dark cabinet or on something warm ...cable box ..top of coffee pot.. etc... recently have had problems with trying to pop older seeds... even tried hydrogen peroxide... I have lately been making my own seeds and have noticed they need to sit close to a month to have successful popping.. So please all experts chime in with your secrets !!! Much Appreciate... M
cup of water then in dirt
if its worth having it will come up

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I used to have really good rates at using the 48 hour presoak, and then in a wet paper towel in a tupperware container. Then all of a sudden nothing was popping. So I tried out something a buddy was doing. Popped my seeds in some Root Riot cubes. I got 100% but it took about a week for them to pop. Then I tried something different than that. Jiffy Peat pucks. I presoaked the pucks in a mixture of Clonex, Sea Green, and OG Biowars Nute pack. In less than 72 hours I had 100%. I should also mention I used a humidity dome and set the tray on top of a 200 watt t-5. I don't think I will be searching out any other ways to pop seeds.....unless this starts to give me problems.

MrRightBrain

MrRightBrain

...i sow my beans directly into moist coco in 9oz solo cups with a second cup taped up top as a temporary humidity dome which gets removed as soon as the seedling emerges from the coco.

View attachment 398985
View attachment 398987

...oh, and Medusa, i also scuff some of my beans, not all need it, but i use an old trick with a small, empty box of stick match's and a small piece of 200 or 300 grit sandpaper, you just cut the sandpaper to fit into the box, then you put your beans inside, close it up and shake shake shake, lol.

View attachment 398988

peace, bozo
I like your setup, clean and smart.

Rocketmon

Rocketmon

This is all very interesting, In the past 2 weeks I have had zero % germination with 32 seeds (3 strains), using my usual method which is soaking in a shot glass for 24 hours, then put them each into a freshly re hydrated peat pot, then all the peat pots go into their little green house in a warm corner of my veg room. The first group of 10 seeds (from a mail order breeder) was in there for over 20 days, when I dug them up the little shoot was out about an 1/8". Did I drowned them? I'm really bummed, I wanted to get that strain going!

Myco

Myco

Here's how I do it..

Place seed in soil, water, wait, grow ;)

Oh and sometimes I'll give them a quick scuff.

I've messed with various methods over the years, but always have had the best success rate and healthiest seedlings by simply planting them directly in soil.

Rocketmon

Rocketmon

Thats great except I'm trying to go hydroponic, so I'm wanting to get some roots going before I plant them in the clay balls, and I never have trouble with the peat pots, 2 months ago I used the Root Riot cubes and I had 7 out of 10 germinate, but then 4 of those died, and they were very weak and spindly, the drag with the Root Riot cubes was they dry out really easily and after I planted them into the potting mix they floated when I watered! So had to jab a chop stick through all of them until the plants roots were strong enough. So I went back to the peat pots, maybe I just got them too wet. But I will go direct to dirt the next time I start a soil program, this week I'm starting up a DWC system.

Rocketmon

Rocketmon

Oh yea and I have also had bad luck with the small rockwool cubes too, they dry out really fast after a certain point.

william76

william76

Oh yea and I have also had bad luck with the small rockwool cubes too, they dry out really fast after a certain point.
What I do is,a scratch then into water and superthrive for no longer than 20 mins,then right into coco in a half cup in a heated propagator,then once they break soil I take the lid off,very rarely will a seed not sprout,unless it's not a good seed to start with,what I will say is theirs many ways to do it so really its what works for you,76

DAT

DAT

im trying to get some SLH seeds to pop right now. They are 4 years old and have lived through some very extreme weather conditions. I learned a lot from this thread, thanks Medusa for starting it!.
I started them in the papertowel in a warm closet. I started to see some tail action , after reading about drowning and mold, I transplanted them into party cups in Fox Farm soil and now they are in my Phototron with the lights on. Should I leave the lights on 24/7?

ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

How much peroxide do you use. I've had a very good success rate using the paper towel method. But I've had low gem rates on the last twenty or so seeds. I'm hoping I didn't fuck my self. I keep my seeds in the fridge but recently moved they were out of the fridge for a couple of hours on a hot day. The jar was sealed the whole timeoso I would think they would be fine. I did a germ test on some freebies (farmers mix) and only 2 out of 5 sprouted. Before that I got only 4 out of 9 on a pretty new pack of seeds. I'm used to 9 out of 10 popping.
Peroxide is a must what ever method. Germ rates are WAY better. Keeps things clean.

Don't pop seeds with out it.

Top Bottom