Best way to turn keif into wax/shatter?

• Thread starter biker22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
biker22

biker22

I have read many many post about people having good results turning keif into wax But a lot have problems With blow outs also. So if your doing it with awesome success, How? What size Screen are you using?What is your screen made out of? Metal or fabric? What size tube are you using? If heard some like Thin tubes while some like a wider tube? Ive made wax out of trimmings but have never tried with keif but think you would get a even cleaner ending med if started with keif? Can anyone Help? Please?

W

Watashi420

I would ditch the tube and fill a mason jar with butane (vent the lid) and pour your keif in. shake it up, then replace the lid with a coffee filter and screw the ring back on and pour out the butane to a glass dish, that should get it all. The longer it can sit in the jar the better.

Be sure to vent the lid, punch a few holes in it so when you push your butane in the excess pressure has somewhere to go. Also freeze your butane cans before you do it so there is less blasting pressure.

Safety note: When I say shake the jar, I mean swirl it or put a towel over the holes you punched in the lid so you don't splash butane in your face. DO NOT seal the jar at any time with butane in it.

biker22

biker22

Thanks Watashi420. Ive heard of this before do you have a estimate of how much butane per amount of keif to pull as much wax as possible? I would imagine you could only extract so much wax per amount of butane? Since keif would already be pretty pure and they say a on avg a can of butane (give or take) per oz of bud or trim? Thank you again

soserthc1

soserthc1

Interested in the responses to this as I will have a fair bit of trim to play with in a few weeks.
interested in this mason jar method also as i have a good amount of kief and no shatter and would love some thanksgiving dabs tonight ? also have the butane but have no idea on tubes and such - can anyone detail the simplest way to make shatter in idiot set by step details preferable the butane mason jar way as that the supplies i'm sitting on now .....

soserthc1

soserthc1

Google...Skunkfarm research there you will find greywolf...he covers it all pretty much. He is the man...happy tday peeps
thank you sir ..... happy thanksgiving to you and yours also ......

blessings SoSer

biker22

biker22

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Hope everyone has a phat holiday. Thanks to everyone that has chimed in and hope someone gives us a answer to the ratio's need to pull as much as possible. Hope everyone stays safe.

biker22

biker22

Mainly I ask for ratios is I know a oz of trim/bud should yield a couple grams,running a can thru. I wonder if you should use just a cpl grams of keif per can of butane? To have enough butane to dissolve all of the keif it can. Thanks everyone

germinator

germinator

Im waiting with ya bro...I would've thought greywolf or jump would've given us direction by now. Guess Ill practice being a patient, patient.

Bump

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Im no greywolf or jump but have been messing with this tech. The butane get saturated rather quickly. From my experience a 300ml can can roughly extract about 5-6gs of oil. So depending on the quality of your dry sift I'd start with about ten grams of sift to every can. You can extract a gram of sift to see how much oil you get and adjust your ratios accordingly.

I call this the coffee press tech. Its a modified Soak method.
-stainless steel coffee press with no rubber or plastic parts.
-stainless thermos with no rubber or plastic parts.
-Stainless steel strainer
-Coffee filters
Put your sift into the bottom of the press. Freeze everything overnight; the press filled with sift, the butane, the strainer and filter.
The point is to keep the butane below its boiling point(34 degrees) the entire extraction. You Should not see any bubbling till it hits the evap dish.
Put on winter gloves and head out side...
Blast the tane into the frozen SS thermos. The pressure from the can will blow your sift everywhere if you don't blast into a separate receptacle.
Pour the tane into coffee press. Leave the lid off, cover with a towel let set for 30 min, stirring occasionally.
Pour the enriched butane thru the coffee filter and strainer into your evap dish.
The oil from keif will come out dark and sappy. Shatter is achievable but not as easily as if it were fresh buds and trim.

I'm figuring out that I can make the exact same end product just using ethanol. The yeild is smaller but much cheaper and easier to extract.

This method uses a spray bottle full of ethanol and dry sifting screens or bubble bags. Use the 200u and 45u. Fill the 200u with your sift. Put the 45u underneath. Set them overtop of evap dish. using your spray bottle wash the sift down thru. Limit your ethanol/sift contact times to around 1 min. As it dissolves the hash it washes down into your evap dish. HTH.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Oh yeah, part of the reason it's hard to get it to shatter or wax from this method is that you are sort of dewaxing. Keeping everything super cold means that all the plant waxes and water soluables are frozen solid and get filtered out.

biker22

biker22

Thank you so much Walterwhitefire. Love the name also! :cigar: So what your saying is making shatter outa kief is rather hard? Im thinking of sifting with 220micron or 160 micron and starting from there. Love the idea of stainless steel coffee stuff. Ive always just used pyrex glass bowls. Think I might go shopping soon.lol Thank you again for your ratios!!!!! Ill be trying it within the next couple days As it is snowing in my neck of the woods.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I'm def no expert... Hopefully someone will still chime in.
IMO if shatter or wax is your goal don't dry sift it first. Soak method your Plant material whole. You are still using The same amount of butane to extract the same amount of crystals it's not saving you any butane by shaking the PM first Because you'll hit saturation blocks. Plus Quality will actually be better using your plant material. Better color, texture and flavors. I think a lot of the terpins and tasty plant waxes are in the leafs and buds itself not just the trics and those get extracted too.

BluJay

BluJay

I trolled multiple threads researching this and saw very little mention of using iso to turn kief into shatter or crumble....

Is this not a preferred method for some reason? I have found iso shatter/crumble from flowers is quite yummy.

Shouldn't it produce a cleaner, easier to purge and tastier (due to the lower heat required) concentrate than BHO or Ethanol?

Oh yeah, part of the reason it's hard to get it to shatter or wax from this method is that you are sort of dewaxing. Keeping everything super cold means that all the plant waxes and water soluables are frozen solid and get filtered out.

Are there any lipids in kief? Could we skip the freeze and produce the same extract?

Last edited:
bBgog13

bBgog13

What about 190 ethanol and dry ice
And a distiller don't go over 180 ish
With the heat once it thickens find a vaccum oven????does this sound decent
You can reuse the ethanol it's safer and cleaner you'll filter with vaccum assist it cleans it up a lot outdoor can have. A lot of impurities you don't want

Graywolf

Graywolf

I trolled multiple threads researching this and saw very little mention of using iso to turn kief into shatter or crumble....

Is this not a preferred method for some reason? I have found iso shatter/crumble from flowers is quite yummy.

Shouldn't it produce a cleaner, easier to purge and tastier (due to the lower heat required) concentrate than BHO or Ethanol?

Are there any lipids in kief? Could we skip the freeze and produce the same extract?

I use ethanol before isopropyl. I wouldn't hesitate to us isopropyl if I couldn't get ethanol, but I like the flavor better and purging is less critical, which means you can retain more monoterpenes.

bBgog13

bBgog13

Nice stuff grey wolf my outdoor is loaded with more wax and the ethanol wash my only option after my bubble kept going from hard to soft after pressing
My indoor same strain 0g f cut xblusnow
Rock hard after pressing breaks your finger nails just like Iwant it too my out door
To much wax goes soft
I used a class buds b class budd and trimm from bud no fan leaf no sticks
By far with out a doubt a class all the way
Better product less time in the ethanol
No green in the mix best I can describe it comes out really nice easy to make ethanol freezer strainers filters mason jars wooden spoons and safety equipment personal don't burn it or superheat real clean and nice and smooth I say it's pretty strong stuff

BluJay

BluJay

I use ethanol before isopropyl. I wouldn't hesitate to us isopropyl if I couldn't get ethanol, but I like the flavor better and purging is less critical, which means you can retain more monoterpenes.

Thank's so much for replying back.

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Would eth still preserve more terps over butane? Also is freezing not necessary for kief, as there should be no lipids and the lipids that are present would be needed to keep the concentrate from turning to oil?

Latest posts

Top Bottom