BHO by OGp, 1st crack at it.

• Thread starter ogplatinum
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blueburnsorange

Mendo, I believe you do an oven purge at ~ 170F for an extended period of time? I remember an old post where you had a massive jar of oil that had been in the oven for like, 10 hours? Either way, I'm with you - I've never tasted a budder (and I mean budder, not wax) that didn't have a butane aftertaste.

OG, if you want to re-purge, you'll probably have more luck if you spread it out much thinner on a pyrex pan rather than have it thick in a smaller dish. Those bubbles need to rise up and pop so give them as little oil to travel through as possible!

Over on TC (hope it's OK to cross-post) there is a new thread on turning budder to shadder by re-purging it. Even if you disagree with the method, it's an interesting read.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I'm sure you mean elaborate, and so I shall. :sun

Polymerization is a process by which monomers (similar subunits) are linked together to form a polymer (poly meaning many and mono meaning one).

Terpenes are known to polymerize under certain conditions. Most alkenes (C-C double bond is an alkene functional group) are fairly reactive, but terpenes are made up of special monomers called isoprene, or isoprenoid, units (isoprene is short for isoterpene).

Under various conditions, not the least of which being presence of air and heat--previously stable terpenes may begin to break apart/link together in a way not dissimilar to the linking together of isoprenoid units. A polymerization of polymers if you will.

In addition to this terpenes are known to react with various compounds to give new compounds (in the case of ozone for example). Google terpenes ozone and do some digging if you want to see how complex this can get in terms of side reactions--this reaction can give a hydroxyl radical which can go on to do all types of nasty shit.

In general I'm saying stuff doesn't just change color and consistency from losing less than a mL of solvent and a little heat. A reaction is occuring.

In terms of elaborating on the possible danger/non-danger. I can't. No one really can--this stuff amounts to a chemical soup in terms of how many compounds are present. You get to doing side reactions/polymerizations in a chemical soup and you could end up with some fairly terrible results. As a for instance, adding only 3 reactants in a research lab once left me with maybe 100 different compounds at the end of a reaction where an impurity had caused side reactions to take place. The NMR looked black clear across!

Now consider that there may already be 100's of compounds present in an extract.

I'm not trying to say its certainly unsafe--but it could potentially be creating carcinogens and other nasty things. I'm ultimately saying sans a lab and lots of fancy testing we won't know or even come close to knowing. Even then this could be on a plant to plant basis in terms of deciding whether this process is safe. Each plant has different relative levels of terpenes and cannabinoids and different terpene profiles. That changes reaction conditions and confounds analysis.

This could also be a hydration reaction, as some terpenes are known to complex with water to create--I believe--a trihydrate. This would be considerably less dangerous. Testing this might be easier. Weigh a beaker (with stirrer and oil already in) on an analytical scale. Whip up a batch. Re-weigh.

There should be a noticeable difference in weight if hydration is occuring. (depending on the mechanism the same will be true for oxidation)

TLDR:

You don't know what that is.

It looks like a polymerization/side reaction to me.

Hot damn! Thanks for the insightful input brother Squiggly!

Cogent point. Cannabis research has been so thwarted since about 1930, that although we may have clues, we are still the great ignorantly unwashed, on the subject of MMJ.

I can't tell you how many ounces of concentrated oil in potions, that we have supplied pro bono to end of life patients, but I can tell you that the results have been highly positive, albeit undecipherable.

If one of our end of life patients, whom are mostly reaching for any avenue, survives, each and every care taker takes credit, including the prayer warriors, and with every death, gawd moves in mysterious ways. Key of course is the survival of a brother or sister.

My most memorable experience, was with a lung cancer patient, whom had already checked into a hospice and arranged for her physician assisted suicide, in keeping with Oregon death with dignity laws.

Though in lethargy and deep depression, after two drops of Holy Shit, she spent 45 minutes regaling her care giver with tales of her youth, before falling into an extended asleep, previously suffering from severe sleep deprivation.

Upon awakening, the first words out of her mouth was, "That was !#$%^&*()*&^% marvelous", after which she called her personal physician and canceled her euthanasia order.

Alas she died of a heart attack, soon after moving out of the hospice and into the home of her son, but I love how much her life improved at the end and their opportunity or intimate closure.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!1

B

BipolarHiRoller

Hot damn! Thanks for the insightful input brother Squiggly!

Cogent point. Cannabis research has been so thwarted since about 1930, that although we may have clues, we are still the great ignorantly unwashed, on the subject of MMJ.

I can't tell you how many ounces of concentrated oil in potions, that we have supplied pro bono to end of life patients, but I can tell you that the results have been highly positive, albeit undecipherable.

If one of our end of life patients, whom are mostly reaching for any avenue, survives, each and every care taker takes credit, including the prayer warriors, and with every death, gawd moves in mysterious ways. Key of course is the survival of a brother or sister.

My most memorable experience, was with a lung cancer patient, whom had already checked into a hospice and arranged for her physician assisted suicide, in keeping with Oregon death with dignity laws.

Though in lethargy and deep depression, after two drops of Holy Shit, she spent 45 minutes regaling her care giver with tales of her youth, before falling into an extended asleep, previously suffering from severe sleep deprivation.

Upon awakening, the first words out of her mouth was, "That was !#$%^&*()*&^% marvelous", after which she called her personal physician and canceled her euthanasia order.

Alas she died of a heart attack, soon after moving out of the hospice and into the home of her son, but I love how much her life improved at the end and their opportunity or intimate closure.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!1

Awesome story!! Thanks for sharing!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom