Bho Temperature Advice?

• Thread starter Gavin 48
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gavin 48

My research shows that I need to keep it below 120° to make shatter, but every time I put it in the vac I have to heat it up to 150° to get it to start boiling. Ultimately, I end up with a burnt taste. Any advice?

mandalaman

mandalaman

Can you explain your process? At normal atmosphere butane will boil at around 30f. I don't understand how you're having issues at 120f under vacuum getting it to purge.

G

Gavin 48

I dried some pretty good buds for a week ,blasted it , water bath at 100° scraped it onto parchment paper stuck it in the vac -30 and wouldnt do anything at 107° so i upped the heat til it started purging and it started working around 150°. I dont get it, other then the butane I'm at a loss.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

what butane are you using. butane should boil at 35 degrees
My research shows that I need to keep it below 120° to make shatter, but every time I put it in the vac I have to heat it up to 150° to get it to start boiling. Ultimately, I end up with a burnt taste. Any advice?

mandalaman

mandalaman

That doesn't make any sense to me. Heat will speed up the purge as will the vacuum but butane boils off at normal room temperature. Are you sure you're using butane? Are you sure you weren't fully purged already and are now boiling different terps etc?

G

Gavin 48

Last time this happened I blasted moist buds and thought it was do to the moisture, after watching some videos I made sure it was dry dry, and it did it again.
what butane are you using. butane should boil at 35 degrees
City premium, comes from a gas station close by

G

Gavin 48

That doesn't make any sense to me. Heat will speed up the purge as will the vacuum but butane boils off at normal room temperature. Are you sure you're using butane? Are you sure you weren't fully purged already and are now boiling different terps etc?
It say ultra refined butane, at 107° it puffed up with bubbles and got hard and didn't boil like I see in the videos.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Suggest you get some better quality butane.

there is one filtered 5 times.
Last time this happened I blasted moist buds and thought it was do to the moisture, after watching some videos I made sure it was dry dry, and it did it again.

City premium, comes from a gas station close by

mandalaman

mandalaman

It say ultra refined butane, at 107° it puffed up with bubbles and got hard and didn't boil like I see in the videos.
Muffin top is what you want. The boiling bubbles are when you still have a lot of butane left. You are boiling more than just butane turning up to 150. Keep it at the 107 and keep flipping it for a day or two.

G

Gavin 48

Muffin top is what you want. The boiling bubbles are when you still have a lot of butane left. You are boiling more than just butane turning up to 150. Keep it at the 107 and keep flipping it for a day or two.
Even if the bubbles aren't popping?

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

at least keep it under 120. or you are destroying terpenes

Graywolf

Graywolf

No before I put the lid on

If you slowly raise the heat with the lid on, but no vacuum, until it fully melts, it should be no higher than 120F and more likely 110 to 115F. If it reads 150F with your infrared, you are either shooting through the puddle and measuring the hot surface under it, or your infrared gun is out of calibration, or...........??

Do you have a calibrated immersion thermocouple to compare the reading to?

G

Gavin 48

If you slowly raise the heat with the lid on, but no vacuum, until it fully melts, it should be no higher than 120F and more likely 110 to 115F. If it reads 150F with your infrared, you are either shooting through the puddle and measuring the hot surface under it, or your infrared gun is out of calibration, or...........??

Do you have a calibrated immersion thermocouple to compare the reading to?
I do not, and I did jump the gun on vacuuming it probably. I'm new at this and could use all of the advice I can get.

Top Bottom