bho to utilize capitate trichomes?

• Thread starter whiskers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
whiskers

whiskers

i read recently that somebody used laser micro dissection to study the make up of all the different types of trichomes on cannabis. it said the capitate sessile trichomes (thin thorn like hairs that cover the underside of leaves and stems as well) have a higher ratio of thc than any other type of trike. i always thought it was just the glandular trikes that contained all the thc. these sessile trikes wouldn’t be caught in bubble bags?? so i’m wondering if bho technique using a pvc pipe could be scaled up to process a large load of dried macerated leaf and stalk. any thoughts….?

Tuku

Tuku

That's a shite load of butane bro. Guess its possible... I wouldn’t suggest doing it near electrical sockets or anything else that can spark.

north knect

north knect

i read recently that somebody used laser micro dissection to study the make up of all the different types of trichomes on cannabis. it said the capitate sessile trichomes (thin thorn like hairs that cover the underside of leaves and stems as well) have a higher ratio of thc than any other type of trike. i always thought it was just the glandular trikes that contained all the thc. these sessile trikes wouldn’t be caught in bubble bags?? so i’m wondering if bho technique using a pvc pipe could be scaled up to process a large load of dried macerated leaf and stalk. any thoughts….?
i have used strictly stem and leaves dried and fresh separatly grinded up amd the dried results were better but rhe results are nothing compared to sugar leafs and buds..but its still some good smoke for the little ypu get..ad you said they dont get caught in the bags for ice/bubble hash butbim not sure because of the small size of the trikes compared to buds the butane may actually break them down more resultin in less oil at the end..i have no labs in my neck of the woods to confirm anything

north knect

north knect

but i read years ago that the hairs on leAfs and stems contained high amounts of thc and cbn..i ended up scraping down the back side of fresh leaves with a razor..collected the gunk from the sharp edge and dried n smoked like finger hash from trimming and got a buzz...definatly alot more research to b done to fully use every aspect of the plant in unconventional ways

monkeymun

monkeymun

Trichome biology is really interesting. People are thinking about trichomes as chemical factories that can be genetically manipulated to make all sorts of medicines or other compounds for various industries. It’s not just cannabis trichomes that people are studying, but I think it will become one of the main candidate plants for bioengineering simply because of the sheer volume of chemicals that can be synthezised in its trichomes.

Gun Jah

Gun Jah

I don't really like the sound of a trichome being a chemical factory…

monkeymun

monkeymun

The chemicals made in trichomes are toxic for other cells (e.g. an insects mouth, or even the plants own mesophyll cells), that’s what makes these structures so special and why they are referred to as chemical factories.

Reuben JJ

Reuben JJ

Great. It’ll be game over as soon Monsanto get in on the action

Purpz

Purpz

As long as no single company monopolizes GM weed I see the prospects as exciting. There are so many different cannabinoids and we barely understand anything about most of their potential medicinal or psychotropic properties. If the plant is already making these, albeit in minute amounts, it doesn’t take a great leap of imagination to see where this is all going. Med cannabis labs will do gene tweaks and in single generations produce strains unlike anything that is around today.

ethnoman

ethnoman

As long as no single company monopolizes GM weed I see the prospects as exciting. There are so many different cannabinoids and we barely understand anything about most of their potential medicinal or psychotropic properties. If the plant is already making these, albeit in minute amounts, it doesn’t take a great leap of imagination to see where this is all going. Med cannabis labs will do gene tweaks and in single generations produce strains unlike anything that is around today.

What you’re saying is certainly plausible but it’s very expensive and not so easy to do. The genetic architecture of trichome development and cannabinoid synthesis has yet to be mapped and this needs to be fully understood before anyone can achieve what you’re talking about.

Fire Bean

Fire Bean

What about the genes that are responsible for trichome density and abundance as well? No reason why future strains cannot be engineered to have leaves and petioles completely covered in glandular trichome, not just the buds. You can see this is already starting to occur with some elite strains, but it takes so many generations of selective breeding to achieve this.

Grow Up

Grow Up

I think a lot of this could be going on behind the scenes already. Pharmaceutical companies that conduct their own research don’t have to release journal articles if it’s in their best interests to protect IP.

GoldiNugs

GoldiNugs

Why would a pharma company be investing millions into growing super cannabis plants. From a financial stand point, they’d be better of making cannabinoids synthetically and scaling up the process.

Reactions: XTC
Grow Up

Grow Up

I see where you’re coming from but I have to disagree with you there. Firstly, not so much making super plants (like the ones we’d like to see ..like 10 grams per watt haha) but plants that make specific cannabinoids. Secondly, it’s expensive to synthesize stuff in a lab. You have to buy the precursors from somewhere, or make them yourself, and build and maintain a facility that can do all this. Alternatively you can give a “living facility” nutrients, water and light, and its biological machinery will do all this for you. Then it’s just a case of extraction. There’s plenty of reason to invest heavily in this type of technology and plenty of reason to keep quiet about it until patents are in place, and/or a product (in this case the technology itself) is ready for licensing.

Fire Bean

Fire Bean

Money money money. The worlds biggest cash crop is about to turn into the worlds biggest cash crop.

Supercharge

Supercharge

LOL

The money is not just in novel cannabinoids. Cannabis is a terpene giant. That means it could be used to generate a virtually infinite (ok not infinite but terpenes are the most chemially diverse class of organic molecules known) number of drugs and useful chemicals that are expensive to produce otherwise. This has already been done with the antimalarial drug artemisinin. It was originally obtained from a Chinese herb but could only be sourced in small amounts. Then someone engineered its production in yeast and whoever the investors were would now be billionaires. But yeast requires highly complex and expensive bioreactors. The same could have been achieved in cannabis but more was understood about yeast genetic engineering at the time. That’s all about to change. Far cheaper in the long run to have plants synthesize novel terpenes, as it only takes sunlight and a little TLC from a guy with a watering can.

neverbreak

neverbreak

the company was amyris. n gates funded it. the investor was already a billionaire, lol, go figure..

neverbreak

DragonKilla

DragonKilla

I just looked on their website. Seems the company is trying to do good for the world. They have a “no loss no profit principle”… Assuming that means they’re not just capitalist bastards.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
The OP hasnt been back, hope he is ok
I dont know what you guys are talking about..
Here was his question
so i’m wondering if bho technique using a pvc pipe could be scaled up to process a large load of dried macerated leaf and stalk. any thoughts….?
No! dont use a pvc pipe!

Top Bottom