Big Bad John, my first growing experiment.

• Thread starter YesiCannabis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

YesiCannabis

Big Bad John, my first growing experiment.

I love a good smoke but i have never tryed growing before now so im a complete newbie.
Why did i choose this strain? its simple, a friend gave me a few seeds, thanks dude ;)

Extract taken from Pukka seeds webby

"Big Bad John (auto flowering)

"You heard of the low rider well this is the high rider"
Big Bad John (auto flowering)
Type Indoor/Outdoor
Flowering 7 weeks
Yield 400-450g/m2

This variety has been a long time coming and definitively confirms that the times they are a changing! As believe it or not this is deciduous herbaceous perennial strain!

For those of you that are not that horticulturally aware this means it has the ability to re-emerge after it has died.

Yes the seeds and not so commonly the plant can over winter and re-emerge come the spring, as in this little, or should we say big beauty will auto flower once it is established - if left to be it will set seeds, then these seeds will grow and then these plants will do the same thing so on and so forth ad infinitum!

For those of you that have still not seen the light, this means that it can grow wild and if left unchecked will colonise the areas where it is placed! in one season it can produce 3-4 generations of offspring and as each generation matures they will do the samething!

In plain English this variety can grow wild and colonise - if left will come back with a vengeance every season there after!

This strain has similar genetic characteristics as the Long John Silver (auto flowering) variety however is more productive both in yield and active ingredients compared to its more mellow younger brother.

Other seed banks have tried to buy the entire supply from us to stop these seeds hitting the market for fear of what this would do to the seed industry! But lol this is more important than mere money! - let these seeds go forth and prosper and re take what is rightfully theirs :)

Thanks Green81 ;)

Well it seems this strain & breeder are getting alot of bad publicity both here & on many other websites but someones got to give them ago, right?

This little experiment of mine is firstly to see how well i can grow them indoors & to see what they are like for cloning, then secondly, the biggy, the outdoor experiment, will it really re-emerge & grow wild in the UK?

Remembering im a new grower you can laugh at my mistakes & setup now.
My setup, a wardrobe lined out with baking foil lol & 4x 100w 4u energy saving lightbulds, thats it, no fans, vents or feed.
As i said, i grew from seed, starting with 1 bulb & adding more accordingly, things were going really well untill towards the end of the veg phase, the plant was dehydrating, the leaf tips were all browning all over the plant, the main stem & all the stalks were redding, (redding was cured by giving less hours light) all i could do was to keep watering it to keep it alive, now i keep the pot in a bowl to hold the water.

http://i582.invalid.com/albums/ss270/Yes-i-Cannabis/2.jpg
http://i582.invalid.com/albums/ss270/Yes-i-Cannabis/6.jpg
http://i582.invalid.com/albums/ss270/Yes-i-Cannabis/7.jpg

Now, the plant has been in the flowering phase for 5 weeks & still i havnt given it any feed & durring this plants life time i have messed up badly with the light scheduling, almost half the hairs are turning orange & the buds are very small :(
Theres only one thing i can do, trick the plant back into the veg phase & feed it & put it under a 600w hps lamp, so i did & its made a huge difference ;)
Now the plant has just been tricked back into the flowering phase & im waiting for my first harvest, im planning on harvesting all the side branches & letting the top go to seed, then taking as many cuttings as i can & planting them out in the wilderness ;)

http://i582.invalid.com/albums/ss270/Yes-i-Cannabis/bbj21.jpg
http://i582.invalid.com/albums/ss270/Yes-i-Cannabis/bbj22.jpg

But im still having the problem of browning leaf tips, see below, can anyone tell me how to cure this or even whats causing it?

http://i582.invalid.com/albums/ss270/Yes-i-Cannabis/bbj23browningtips.jpg

R

Rural_GrowOp

Looks like a little nute burn. Try flushing em and knock your feed down a little. Also be careful with the foil as it can cause hot spots and burn up your plants. They look healthy though and your doing a great job on your first grow. K+

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Yea man, thats good for your first grow and your doing the right things... maybe remove the foil and paint the wardrobe white after this grow..

Definately get a small extraction unit mounted at the top of the wardrobe..
Its gonna be cool if they are a perennial.... fingers are crossed for ya.

Y

YesiCannabis

Hey thanks for the speedy reply, complement & info Rural ;)
By flushing do you meen running a few pints of water through the pot?
I will cut back on the feed to see if that helps.
I dont use foil anymore, i put the plant in a grow room after buying the 600w hps lamp, see the backgrounds in the pics, first 3 pics are from when the plant was in the wardrobe & the last 3 pics are todays from in the grow room.

Y

YesiCannabis

Hi Green81 thanks for posting ;)

Yes im planing whitewashing the growroom as soon as this ones done & the foil has already been removed ;)

A small extraction unit, i have a 5 inch in-line fan & carbon filter fitted as high up as i could get it, do you think thats good enough?

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
yea man.. sorry i didnt see that... you should get some nice smoke.. have you taken cuttings already? If not when you harvest leave enough leaf and lower buds to regenerate the girl then take your cuts... Peace

G81

Y

YesiCannabis

No i havnt taken the cuts yet, but i will follow your advice ;)

Y

YesiCannabis

Hey Rural thanks for the Reputation Received from you ;)
This is the first time i have had this & i dont know what its for, if anyone has a link to a tread that explains this reputation thing please post it here or PM me with it ;)

R

Rural_GrowOp

Hey bro. Reputation is given out to growers from growers I guess as they achieve different milestones, positive attitudes, helpful info etc. It doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things just another way for me to tell you you're doing a hell of a job.
Plus it feels good to get it. Hahhaaha. Keep it up.

D

de cane

yoyesi! nice moves you made there.
and i like your flower tent.
I see you´ll be prepared much better for the next run.
Curious how your clone taking adventure will turn out for ya!
:bong2:
keep up the great work bra!

Y

YesiCannabis

Hey bro. Reputation is given out to growers from growers I guess as they achieve different milestones, positive attitudes, helpful info etc. It doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things just another way for me to tell you you're doing a hell of a job.
Plus it feels good to get it. Hahhaaha. Keep it up.

Hey Rural thanks for the explanation, i got to say that i dont like the way it stops you from giving someone alot of rep, if someone has five great threads going at the sametime i think you should be able to give rep points for each thread, ie give rep points to some one 5 times in 1 day for 5 threads.

yo de cane thanks for posting, i have already done the cloning & as a tester i took the cuts, put them in plain water in the shade for four days then moved them into direct light from 2x 100w 3u energy saving lightbulbs & 98% of them rooted & have now been potted.
They are comming along sweet.
These clones are for the outdoor experiment, remember this strain is said to be able to wildly populate the UK.

As for the parent plant, after shocking it back into flowering its buds have grown & its looking much healthier, its only been flowering for 2 weeks now so i still have the very long 5 week wait left ZZzzzzzz.

de cane yes i'll be far better prepared for the next run, next time i will be running common strains so i can find plenty of hints & tips here on the farm, its annoying when you can find grow diaries for every strain exept the one your growing lol

As soon as i get my cam back i'll post some new pics ;)
(maybe tonight)

Yesterday i accidentally broke a small branch while trying to bend it towards the light, that was sad but its made me worry about the potancy of this strain, the branch had a bud on it that i dried & smoked, seriously there was no potancy what so ever, i know its only been flowering for 2 weeks but i have smoked stronger shade leaves in the past, is this normal or is my plant a f..king weed?

Y

YesiCannabis

BBJ Clones

As i said earlier, this strain was simple to clone, i used nothing more than plain water & it wasnt even PH'ed.

Heres the pics, they were taken quite a while ago but i had lent out my cam with the memory card in it so i couldnt post these pics earlier.

Lights on.
http://i569.invalid.com/albums/ss139/yesicann/bbjclon.jpg
Lights off.
http://i569.invalid.com/albums/ss139/yesicann/bbjcloff.jpg
I have already planted them outside & couldnt take more pics as i didnt have the cam.
Thanks for looking ;)

D

de cane

looking forward to see your outdoorspot bra!
glad your clones got so healthy and green.

....and I think its also nice to be the first one making a diary about a new strain.
specially here on the farm its hard to find a strain which hasn´t been grown.

Y

YesiCannabis

hey de cane thanks for posting, i will get some pics of the outdoor spot posted next week when i go to check on them.
i agree its good to grow a new strain, but i would have prefered to run a common strain first for the learning curve.

Latest posts

Top Bottom