Big Boys Are Sniffin Around

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Hey everyone it looks like the big boys have gotten word about the packs. Some reps of a competing product were in a store today buying samples of my shit to test it and possibly try to reverse engineer it.

How awesome.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Just keep innovating thats all you can do homie and at the rate your doing it with YOUR knowledge I dont see a problem. I will be ordering kilos of each in a week or 2 so no worries here.
MW

squiggly

squiggly

throw a patent on your mix brother.. fuk those guys. always wana squeze the little guy out.

Patent lawyers cost a dogshitload of money--it also bears mentioning that while its not the same or a 1:1 comparison. Doing this is not very far off from what Monsanto is trying to pull with seed stock.

These things are alive and we can't own them.

Forgetting that, this industry has very little to do with product formulation. It is ALL about branding, which is why these stopped being Caps bennies and started being OGBiowar I'm assuming.

If you have an efficacious product (and he does), all that you need is branding and distribution.

The patent stuff is something to worry about once he's making millions. That's how much it will cost for patent litigation, and hence the only time when its really necessary.

Patent law is mostly about outspending the other guy these days. It's not really something you want to stick your head into if you can avoid it and be successful.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Dog sniffing another dog pooping

squiggly

squiggly

Too much $ in a patent as squiggly says.

dogs are fuckin retarded. LOL. thats a great shot.

Important stuff to know as a chemist, especially one who might seek in the future to be an entrepreneur :)

You only patent something which is totally novel and extremely easy to defend, or failing that when you have millions of dollars to spend and think you can win.

If you patent something early without having met one or both of those criteria (both might be needed in some cases, even if its totally novel--especially electronics)--you will find your patent being walked on quick fast and in a hurry.

People often forget that someone can throw the first salvo in court and claim your patent is invalid--it doesn't always have to start with you protecting your patent. If a big company comes in with lawyers they can take your patent and basically say, "Thanks for the product blueprint."

Even big companies do this to each other--Samsung and Apple are great examples. There is no reason to believe they won't do it to you.

If you have something proprietary which is worth patenting, its almost better to just keep it a secret these days unless you have investors/a network behind you with the proper connections (law isn't enough). Even with the fear of reverse-engineering, it's best just to use the time they take to reverse engineer to really spread your brand and get ahead of them that way.

If you achieve market penetration and get enough of the market share, there is nothing they can do to hurt you really. See: Microsoft--they can't even hurt themselves anymore. That's why branding and market share is the end all be all. Especially in a business like this.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Important stuff to know as a chemist, especially one who might seek in the future to be an entrepreneur :)

You only patent something which is totally novel and extremely easy to defend, or failing that when you have millions of dollars to spend and think you can win.

If you patent something early without having met one or both of those criteria (both might be needed in some cases, even if its totally novel--especially electronics)--you will find your patent being walked on quick fast and in a hurry.

People often forget that someone can throw the first salvo in court and claim your patent is invalid--it doesn't always have to start with you protecting your patent. If a big company comes in with lawyers they can take your patent and basically say, "Thanks for the product blueprint."

Even big companies do this to each other--Samsung and Apple are great examples. There is no reason to believe they won't do it to you.

If you have something proprietary which is worth patenting, its almost better to just keep it a secret these days unless you have investors/a network behind you with the proper connections (law isn't enough). Even with the fear of reverse-engineering, it's best just to use the time they take to reverse engineer to really spread your brand and get ahead of them that way.

If you achieve market penetration and get enough of the market share, there is nothing they can do to hurt you really. See: Microsoft--they can't even hurt themselves anymore. That's why branding and market share is the end all be all. Especially in a business like this.

Squiggly, by the time ogbiowar is reverse engineered, it will have evolved. I'm adding new strains every batch... and upping concentrations! That's what I will continue to do as long as the product is on the market. Gotta stay ahead to win.

squiggly

squiggly

Squiggly, by the time ogbiowar is reverse engineered, it will have evolved. I'm adding new strains every batch... and upping concentrations! That's what I will continue to do as long as the product is on the market. Gotta stay ahead to win.

Bam!

Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra

Just curious if you think you would be able to defend a patent on the strains you use? Paul Stamets has patented and then Licensed multiple fungus for pesticidal use, and funded his non-profit pretty well on the licensing. He is my hero since i was 18 and first got into mycology.

Edit: Like if money and lawyer fees weren't an issue, not a complete hypothetical. I am going somewhere with this :P

jlr42024

jlr42024

makes me wonder if its a get now while you can thing because we've seen big biz shut down the little guy time and time again! time to order by the pallet rather then kilo because I promise no other company is going to reproduce caps product when there making more from less, they'll figure a way to shut cap down with unfair market practicing laws or some shit more then likely. too bad because this product is the SHIT!

Top Bottom