Big Bummer for me this morning..

• Thread starter Radio_Dread
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Radio_Dread

well check the tent this morning and all the plants are now sex. i germed 3 underdawg #1, 3 Chemdog D x spacedawg, and 3 strawberrydawgs. i ended up with 8 males and 1 female. the only female was of the Chemdog D x spacedawg. time to move on... germing 5 more underdawgs#1 as of right now. so i guess that would be a 11% female rate. prolly the lowest female/male ratio i have had in awhile.

RD:pimp:

B

Bobby Smith

It's actually an 11% female rate, if you wanna get technical.

R

Radio_Dread

woops haha, thanks dude. guess my math isnt what is used to be.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
That is a bummer RD. How old were the seedlings?

I am not ever letting anything sex naturally again. It is a huge waste of 8-10 weeks of veg that it always takes whatever strain I start from seed. I now top them all at 3 weeks stick them in water and stick them under 12/12. They stay alive and flower in water in 10-12 days. So in 5 weeks I know what is what and toss what males I don't want. That saves half the time at least.

I have been having bad male to female ratios lately. I had a good run of female luck before that though.

Hang in there and reload guy.

R

Radio_Dread

Yeah i hear ya dude. this is def the worst i have had in awhile. but yeah starter blocks are filled again. i threw a couple sureprise in there too, but mostly Underdawg#1. yeah im the same way dude, usually (depending on strain of course) i have them sexed and ready to rock by week 5.

M

Mr.Toque

Damn bro that's sucks bigtime, won't cooler temps be more likely to produce higher female rates or somethin like that....

Aligee

Aligee

good luck bro that sucks im having heat issues this year in my mom room cuts are not up to par moms hurting lots of adjustments are being made !!! males suck when there not wanted LOL!!! +K

R

Radio_Dread

yeah i hear ya man. males do suck when you do not want them. but i dont really have a heat prob. my grow room is dailed in and temps maybe max out at 85f. so i dont think heat would have done this. but who knows, if you ask me its all part "game" so to speak.

RD

S

slimjoint

bummer, gang bang your chemdxsnowdawg with all the dudes
have a lil chem medely going for yourself

R

Radio_Dread

yeah i was thinking about doing that. do you think that it would be a stable cross? or would have to grow them to find out?

S

Sense I. Milla

That's such a bummer man... I'd try breeding like slimjoint said... It would be a shame to waste such good dna.

G

gudkarma

I am not ever letting anything sex naturally again. It is a huge waste of 8-10 weeks of veg that it always takes whatever strain I start from seed. I now top them all at 3 weeks stick them in water and stick them under 12/12. They stay alive and flower in water in 10-12 days. So in 5 weeks I know what is what and toss what males I don't want. That saves half the time at least.

i do the same thing with cuttings closest to the top & the bubble cloner.

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Sorry to hear that RadioDread, I always do a few clones with the same veg time when i do seed runs ,, just in case I get a bad female ratio..

R

Radio_Dread

well i am 4/4 on germing underdawg#1. and 2/2 on some godbud. so lets hope this one works alil beter for me

winta

winta

sorry to hear about that males bro that sucks :( but u should be good now im sendin some good vibes your way! :sun

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
i do the same thing with cuttings closest to the top & the bubble cloner.

Yes people do it that way too. Some people PM'd me for more info. This is what I said. But the bubble method is a really good choice.

There are a couple posts/threads on ICmag about rooting cuttings in water and in those threads or a separate one was people who sexed cuttings in water.

I have done it many times now. Sometimes strains sex fairly quickly in 5-7 weeks from seed popping out of the ground. But many times I run into seedlings that have not shown sex in 9-10 weeks or more. So I started doing it with cuttings.

I let the seedling get big enough to take a cutting. You can let it grow for 4 weeks so it has say 5 or 6 internodes. Then top it so you have a cut with 2 or 3 leaf sets on it. Or use a side shoot if you have any.

Then I use white bathroom cups or whatever plastic cups you can mark and mark the mom and the cut A or 1 and the next one B or 2 so you know what cut came from what seedling.

Now mix up some 1/4 strength fertilized water and put enough water in each cup you have a cut in. Stick them under 12/12 and they will start to flower. They will probably also root but will need revegged if you use them.

You can also just soak peat pucks in the fertilized water, let them swell and stick the cut in them and put in the cup. Don't squeeze them as dry as you do when you are cloning but squeeze some water out of them. Keep them moist until they flower.

They will start to show flowers in 10-12 days.

I have a container and a piece of styrofoam that can float in it without hitting the sides. I poke holes for the cutting stems to fit through. The holes are labeled 1 through 10. Then on a piece of paper I mark 1 to 10 and what strain each one is. I can use the same piece of styrofoam over and over.

Those little styrofoam plates that hamburger and stuff comes in... the pink ones make a good float.

When you use the float method the cuttings are always in the water even as the water level drops.

If you don't put something in like SM-90 to prevent rot or stink water just change the solution every couple days.

R

Radio_Dread

word up Tobor. thanks for all that great info. that is a very good method. i think i will try and intergrate that method into my next run. thanks dude

R

Radio_Dread

:yes

I think they'll be a little unstable but I bet you would find some nice pheno's! :rasta2:

thanks dude, thats what i was thinkin. but i culled them, im suppose to be getting some Bubbayum testers from mota sometime soon, so i will use the space. im getting the lone Chemdog D x spacedawg nice and fat, she is filling in very nice and has a sharp rotten smell hmmmm

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
Those darn males. I had mine under a t-5 that had flowering bulbs in. I didn't want to spend the money on 8 new bulbs at the time so I let it ride. I got lot more males then normal. Could be coincidence but I have all my seeds and seedlings under new blue veg bulbs now so I'll be more confident that I've done all I can to females.

Just trying to relate. I know it sucks to trash a bunch of plants that ate your food and lived under your roof sucking up space and all. :)

That Chemdog D X Spacedawg could be seriously special. Should be a monster of massive proportions. :nod

Top Bottom