Black mold on new growth

• Thread starter Spotsy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deadbeet

deadbeet

I too doubt the trace amount of residue left after you washed it out was enough to cause anything.
Virus, Viroids, Bacteria, Fungus, Mold, Insects ect, are going to be downfall of Weed, Hops, and Fruit, and Vegetable crops in the future. Its already happening.

Me and another buddy been growing weed since 1972, and never had anything like the purple shit that attacks the growing tips, and works its way all over the plant, and kills it in most cases.
Starting about 10 years ago it started showing up, when in the previous 40 years we really never had any problems. A bit of mold late in the year. Now every year for 10 or more years we lose up to 90% of the crop to some purple plague. And we are in an illegal state, and have to work our asses off to get anything, and we aint young. Especially him. Hes 74. Still diggin hjoloes, and carrying water.

And YES, weve been attacked again this year. Much of it just now starting. Just before, and during preflowering is when it is most likely to start, though I have seen it in early July, but not very many times. 99% of the time with the strains we work with the shit starts in August.

And it never happens to the same strains grown indoors. You can take a nice healthy clone from an inside mother that never turns purple indoors, and take it outside, and it August, the motherfucker turns purple black, and dies.
Sounds horrific, JM.. sorta puts my situation into perspective. One in thirteen years isn't bad I guess (knock on wood)! I've grown vegetables semi-commercially in this region for just as long as I've grown cannabis and I've definitely seen new pests land on the scene in my 13+ years. Guess it stands to reason that diseases, viruses, etc would start to spread as well.

Spotsy

Spotsy

Hey. I just came in from my grow,, central Virginia,, and fuck yes. I've had the exact same thing happening.. I'm so stressed I'm fucking pissed off. Black tips and my plants are dying.. august 10th. Every day I go out and pul 50 leaves or so. And pluck off growing tips that are turning black. Never seen some shit like this.... I only had one plant make it last year,, a chocolope... But this year is especially bad. All of my plants got it. What the duck can us outdoor growers do??!! This is my 4th year growing at this location,, my backyard,, 1st year was fantastic,, I grew somw old school Acapulco Gold. It was the best shit I've ever smoked... Literally... So i know it can be done.. but is this virus , or whatever the new norm?? From what I can tell it's hitting commercial growers too... Let me know your thoughts

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

In my neck of the woods in northeast ky, we've been fighting it for 10 or more years. Some years have been less severe, but there hasnt been 1 year in the last 10+ that we havent lost literally multiple hundreds, males included, to this shit.
Im convinced it will do nothing but get worse.
From what I understand its been reported from Hawaii to the Northeast, all the way to South Africa. Guy on another forum a few years ago from SA had it.

Spotsy

Spotsy

Hey ,, to all on this thread.. just went out this morning and shot these pics,, from 20 ft tgey look ok. But when u get up close you can tell the plants are sick. They look better in the pics than they are,, I took one close up of the black growth on new shoots.. also , up close the little hair like things where the fan leaves attach, they ALL look burnt.. I e used neem oil, pure crop one, daconil, amegan grow safe,, Grandevo, and a few more... So I'm at my limit of growing experience,, any outdoor grow has to put up with a fair amount of bugs,, but at what point to you throw in the towel?? No t feasible for me to grow indoors... So frustrating !!

IMG 20230811 071207875
IMG 20230811 071116531
IMG 20230811 071133804
IMG 20230811 071009047
IMG 20230811 070939716 HDR
IMG 20230811 071046851
IMG 20230811 071054070
IMG 20230811 070846762
IMG 20230811 070807613
IMG 20230811 070757643
Spotsy

Spotsy

what Seeds are they, if there's Purple in the DNA this is how they will look...
There sour diesel. No purple in the strain.. I got these seeds out of a bag of the S. D. this year. So I know what it looks like when ripe.. my son grew it indoors and it did not look like this

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
how long has this plant be outside in the ground?
is it growing everyday or not growing much?
IMG 6197

the circled areas, is that natural growth or did you train some branches?

Spotsy

Spotsy

how long has this plant be outside in the ground?
is it growing everyday or not growing much?View attachment 2021919
the circled areas, is that natural growth or did you train some branches?
No I did not train. It's a banana kush from weed seeds express.. excellent seed ban k. This one I planted in ground end of May... It was showing some of the growing tips that black disease.. so I cut the whole branch off.. very difficult growing conditions. Due to humidity and bugs.. I'm running roots organic dry nutes and ffof soil. I'm not an expert grower. But I have pulled a few really good crops in the last 4 years.. but this weird disease that's hitting me and other growers , as i inderstand it..

Spotsy

Spotsy

well if the answer to my question is yes than its more than likely a phosphorus lockout due to too cold of temps..
So it doesn't get too cold here,, average is 60s at nite ,up to 80s in day. I put some phos rock down,, as it's august now and they are early stages of budding... I'm using Roots Organics dry nutes... Still getting some black sprouts

Spotsy

Spotsy

Don't be stressed out. If you can find some sort of cannabis botanist, someone maybe with commercial grow experience that's seen these kinds of things before, I'm sure someone will speak to you about this. If you're really thrown off by this thing (I'm still curious if you've tried just leaving it alone), maybe try a different patch/area next year? Use different soil, and try other strains.....then see if it happens again.
So it's mid August and I'm still getting the black sprouts,, but I did leave one alone and wanted to see if it would still flower. ,so half the tops are sprouting and there black and kinda stunted this pic is one of them... U can see it looks like crap. Their is a fuck ton of thrips and leafhoppers here. Not feasible to kill them all,, but I'm hitting plants with pure crop one and Amegan grow safe.., both are basically soybean and corn oil,, works well. But with this many environmental factors involved, it's a constant battle... Reward is some awesome sun grown organic weed if I can get em to the finish. The one I left alone just overall looks like a sick plant,, and come October, probably will get grey botrytis.. That's also another aggravating problem around harvest

IMG 20230811 071009047
IMG 20230811 070939716 HDR
Spacewreck

Spacewreck

Don't be stressed out. If you can find some sort of cannabis botanist, someone maybe with commercial grow experience that's seen these kinds of things before, I'm sure someone will speak to you about this. If you're really thrown off by this thing (I'm still curious if you've tried just leaving it alone), maybe try a different patch/area next year? Use different soil, and try other strains.....then see if it happens again.
You offer a lot of advice for obviously not experiencing it or knowing much about it .. Most of the stems on most of my plants have been affected , it is all on new growth tips .. NOTHING to do with genetics or temperatures or deficiencies .. The leafs are twisted and growth slows down .. I have been dealing with other new (ignorant) expert growers ridiculing me over this topic for many years, telling me I just don`t know what "fire" looks like .. I`d bet that most that have this issue are the ones like myself that try to do it all natural without pesticides .. I think the only way to go is to spray the plants from the get go with something that will prevent this which I believe is spread by the saliva of leaf hoppers ...

Spotsy

Spotsy

You offer a lot of advice for obviously not experiencing it or knowing much about it .. Most of the stems on most of my plants have been affected , it is all on new growth tips .. NOTHING to do with genetics or temperatures or deficiencies .. The leafs are twisted and growth slows down .. I have been dealing with other new (ignorant) expert growers ridiculing me over this topic for many years, telling me I just don`t know what "fire" looks like .. I`d bet that most that have this issue are the ones like myself that try to do it all natural without pesticides .. I think the only way to go is to spray the plants from the get go with something that will prevent this which I believe is spread by the saliva of leaf hoppers ...
Yep. If I had to bet,, I think it's spread by either leafhoppers or thrips... OR, maybe it's hdlv... That's the problem if u don't have a pile of money to figure all this out.. but on the positive side. Most of my plants outgrew it when they went into flower this year,,

PXL 20230902 220602616
PXL 20230831 150309756
PXL 20230831 150247068
Spacewreck

Spacewreck

Yep. If I had to bet,, I think it's spread by either leafhoppers or thrips... OR, maybe it's hdlv... That's the problem if u don't have a pile of money to figure all this out.. but on the positive side. Most of my plants outgrew it when they went into flower this year,,
I hope mine can pull through it too . Will be spraying them next year with something that will stop leafhoppers ..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
First post?.
well than..
nothing to do with genetics or anything?
ok so the problem is created by you than..

Spacewreck

Spacewreck

First post?.
well than..
nothing to do with genetics or anything?
ok so the problem is created by you than..
Wow ,, I think you need to educate yourself .. I am not the one that spreads phytoplasma with my saliva .. Just no end to these know it all guys is there ?? And ,, it is then ,, not than .. 😘

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Wow ,, I think you need to educate yourself .. I am not the one that spreads phytoplasma with my saliva .. Just no end to these know it all guys is there ?? And ,, it is then ,, not than .. 😘
hahahaha..
your the one who needs to educate yourself!!
watch it or your banned, actually you better apologize..

Spotsy

Spotsy

hahahaha..
Why are y'all beefing here..? I'm trying to get help with this problem and alert other growers to this problem... Most of growers nationwide have been hit with HDLV. I'm not sure if this is my problem here.. y'all bickering ain't helping.. just saying

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Why are y'all beefing here..? I'm trying to get help with this problem and alert other growers to this problem... Most of growers nationwide have been hit with HDLV. I'm not sure if this is my problem here.. y'all bickering ain't helping.. just saying
no you started it..
just leave it and be nice,

Spacewreck

Spacewreck

"hahahaha..
watch it or your banned, actually you better apologize.. " Well ,, yes , I`d like to learn all about this problem with the new growth turning purple .. IT has nothing to do with temperature , or genetics other than perhaps a weaker strain might be more prone .. You said the problem is created by me .. ? You want to ban me for correcting your spelling ? or for suggesting you might want to learn about this purple //black gnarly new growth that lots of aces figure is caused by the cool nights .. ? It would be nice to find a group that was serious about figuring out what this disease is and ways of preventing it .. There are definitely lots of growers showing pictures of the stuff and lots of growers who have never had issues with it who seem to know all about it .

hahahaha..

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
This purpling has been going on for a few years now with nobody coming up with a definitive cause. If you have a university with an ag department and maybe you can go down and ask some questions. Maybe they can tell you how to get the plant tested. Just a thought. Looks like some professional help might be in order.

Top Bottom