Blackdog Led "bd360-u" Vs. California Lightworks Led "solarstorm 440"

• Thread starter john martin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bluebully420

bluebully420

Sweet im tryfredpg to find a great led myself to have a strictly personal room that i play with and the advantage of having low heat and lower electric bill will Give me the freedom to try new things out and still keep my production rooms hps.

john martin

john martin

Can't remember the episode, but on the Adam Dunn show they talk to one of the Blackdog LED employees and go over the reason in pretty good detail if I remember correctly, but from my understanding, it's because a room at 84F using Blackdog LED only, will have the same canopy temperature of a room using a 1,000w HPS running at much cooler temperature.

Has to do with getting the leaf canopy at a warm enough temperature for max growth under the LED.

john martin

john martin

So far I really like my California Lightworks 440w units, but if this Blackdog performs like I think it will, we should be able to see a clear difference in the comparison! I have heard nothing but good things about Blackdog, even from some of the most 'anti-led' people around!

Timmyahcomeon

Timmyahcomeon

I always ran my temps in the 80s with my led, really need the heat to help dry out the soil, still only had to water every 3 days just my experience

north knect

north knect

One thing I can already say without a doubt, is the Blackdog LED customer service is truly top notch.

With that said, I have had no issues with California Lightworks customer service, but Blackdog has that extra-good-vibes feel when dealing with them...just to be honest.

Here are links to each product:

http://californialightworks.com/product/solar-storm-440/
The only way I can see a comparison giving good results is from clones of the same size from the same mother..r u running clones?

organix4207

organix4207

I always ran my temps in the 80s with my led, really need the heat to help dry out the soil, still only had to water every 3 days just my experience
Would using airpots or bags possibly be better at cycling wet /dry in your application?

john martin

john martin

I like airpots, but feel they make it harder to end up with a fully-clean tasting smoke... even with 99+% organics. Been playing around with the plastic airpots this run, might use them with this LED comparison for reason you mentioned.

Still not sure what size pot I should use with these, I figure they are equivalent to roughly 4-450W of HPS, so probably a 9 gallon plastic smart pot would work? I think anything smaller would potentially constrict the light's potential. The bluedream really takes advantage of any 'extra' soil, so I think it should work out nicely.

organix4207

organix4207

I like airpots, but feel they make it harder to end up with a fully-clean tasting smoke... even with 99+% organics. Been playing around with the plastic airpots this run, might use them with this LED comparison for reason you mentioned.

Still not sure what size pot I should use with these, I figure they are equivalent to roughly 4-450W of HPS, so probably a 9 gallon plastic smart pot would work? I think anything smaller would potentially constrict the light's potential. The bluedream really takes advantage of any 'extra' soil, so I think it should work out nicely.
Sounds like you have the bases covered looking forward to watching this thread closely. I'm thinking of upgrading to a LED light for veg

organix4207

organix4207

I was using smartpots with tlo soil

I have heard that with the smart pots. Going down a size from your regular size pots can be a benefit. Not sure why , just a friends results is all.

john martin

john martin

God the Blackdog in the mail today!

Going to work on getting it installed this Sunday, so I should have updates Sunday / Monday :)

I sure have been looking forward to this!!!!!!!
IMG 0458

organix4207

organix4207

God the Blackdog in the mail today!

Going to work on getting it installed this Sunday, so I should have updates Sunday / Monday :)

I sure have been looking forward to this!!!!!!!View attachment 495792
I can't wait to see the performance of these led's. I'm all for saving some electricity , if the quality is the same as hid's. I think one problem with led's is the lack of heat given off by the leds themselves. I believe A plants canopy needs some heat to perform optimally. With leds it all gets disssapated on back heat sinks.
Best of luck fellow farmer :)

Top Bottom