Blew Out A Circuit

• Thread starter legaleyes13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
legaleyes13

legaleyes13

had an issue, blew out a 120v circuit... Wondering how difficult of a fix it will be? Gonna have to have an electrician come into an almost completely setup room to fix it.

Won't have to go too far to find a trustworthy electrician but would still makes me uncomfortable having someone in my room.

Thanks in advance

fatawa

fatawa

Its truly hard to say how much of your circuit blew even..do you know if you have 14/2 wire or 12/2?or check the breaker.is it 15amp?20?i wud say it wud b safe to let a pro do it if you cant list those and chase wires after..u can hav one outlet go out on circuit,or 4 outta 7...more info or call a pro

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

The breaker seems fine. Tried switching it on and off.

May very wll be a fuse but wouldn't even know where to look for one. Completely ignorant to electrical type things, but I have a 150 watt LED that partially lights up when plugged into the circuit. But works completely when plugged into an undamaged circuit on the other end of the room

fatawa

fatawa

Your wire is fried back to that outlet that does wrk..there just pigtailed toggether to complete circuit..but you do need to kno wire size,breaker amps.

Farmer P

Farmer P

You, unplugged everything on the circuit before resetting the breaker hopefully. I would try to power from another circuit and finish the grow before letting someone in the room, or move everything to another room before they come.

Dan789

Dan789

May very wll be a fuse but wouldn't even know where to look for one. Completely ignorant to electrical type things, but I have a 150 watt LED that partially lights up when plugged into the circuit. But works completely when plugged into an undamaged circuit on the other end of the room
Sounds like something other than the "breaker" tripping, especially that the fixture works but not as good as when it's plugged into another circuit. If the fixture was bad or shorted, the next circuit would trip also, so the original circuit has some type problem not related to the fixture in question. The calling of an Electrician is the right thing at this points. Good luck.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Your wire is fried back to that outlet that does wrk..there just pigtailed toggether to complete circuit..but you do need to kno wire size,breaker amps.
I'll definitely have a pro come in to fix it, don't know anything about chasing wires.

Is something like this and expensive fix?

P

PharmHand

had an issue, blew out a 120v circuit... Wondering how difficult of a fix it will be? Gonna have to have an electrician come into an almost completely setup room to fix it.

Won't have to go too far to find a trustworthy electrician but would still makes me uncomfortable having someone in my room.

Thanks in advance
What was plugged when it happened?

hiboy

hiboy

Sounds like you have a dropped neutral wire
That's why you have partial power
Somewhere after your breaker and possibly before your nonfunctioning outlet a wire nut has come loose for a bad connection or the wires are just stabbed into the outlet not pigtailed and the connection is faulty
Repaired this problem too many times to count
Hb

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Sounds like you have a dropped neutral wire
That's why you have partial power
Somewhere after your breaker and possibly before your nonfunctioning outlet a wire nut has come loose for a bad connection or the wires are just stabbed into the outlet not pigtailed and the connection is faulty
Repaired this problem too many times to count
Hb
How expensive of a fix is this, and how long of a fix is it typically?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Sounds like the plug burnt out, I replace them all the time and Im no electrician, you can do just about anything you can watch a youtube video on if you have common sense, what I do is plug in a lamp and flip breakers until the light goes out before rewiring.

legaleyes13

legaleyes13

Sounds like the plug burnt out, I replace them all the time and Im no electrician, you can do just about anything you can watch a youtube video on if you have common sense, what I do is plug in a lamp and flip breakers until the light goes out before rewiring.
Ok, well I've watched a few YouTube videos already, and believe hiboy is right about it being a dropped neutral wire... Ill buy a circuit tester tomorrow to be sure

I still don't know that I feel comfortable doing it myself but if it comes down to it, I will

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Ok, well I've watched a few YouTube videos already, and believe hiboy is right about it being a dropped neutral wire... Ill buy a circuit tester tomorrow to be sure

I still don't know that I feel comfortable doing it myself but if it comes down to it, I will
I would bet money that its the outlet, 9 times out of 10 the outlet fries first, they have a small jumper wire between the two outlets that burns up first in a short circuit/power surge. Just make sure to switch off the breaker before replacing it if you go for it.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

If it's the wallnoutlet, it's a -5 min job. As long as the breaker is OFF for the outlet, it's literally 3 screws and 2 screws with wires on the plug.

Latest posts

Top Bottom