Bluebuddha's first grow with Led

• Thread starter Bluebuddha
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

I think I've turned the corner and the first batch is rebounding. New growth is green and roots are stretching. Poor babies were on the edge teetering. Hydroguard, S AG and Orca along with fresh res's with lower ppms and lowering of light was what it took.

Of which all those were from the help I got from the people here. Getting a little dusty in here... Thank you thank you thank you.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

After getting the slime in check and getting good green growth again, I left them unattended for 4 days.

In prep I had dimmed light down to 150-200 PPFD, kept humidity at 60-75 and everything looked. Good.

No slime, pearly white roots, lots of growth about 2 inches but,...I have a Mg deficiency.

I was bang on with measuring out 3g 2g 1g with a thousandth scale.

The LED struggle is real!

Foliar fed with Mg and added 50ppm to the res's.

The Jack's recipe, in hydro, under LED should be 3g 2g 1.5/2g.

It's amazing the difference and changes and learning curve, LED makes.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Well 2/3 of resevoirs seem to be doing ok ish..

The other one just was failing hard. The bacteria buildup was pretty extensive. Or coating I should say. And the poor plants were suffering.

I swapped out that res container with a sterile one and of course changes all the nutes.

Jacks@ 3/2/1.5 50% right at about 575ppm.

Ph 5.9

We'll see...

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Things are still moving. Recovery so slow but I'm hopeful.

And she's holding so far. No leaks.

31 gal each, 2" PVC , 800gph vivosun pump.

The uniseals actually work. Liquid dish soap and lots of swearing did the trick.

24 hour water test in progress.

IMG 20221023 154608
IMG 20221023 155308
Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

I know nothing about hydro but isn’t a 79° reservoir too warm?
Oh I'm sure. But, that's just the air temp outside the reservoir. They're bouncing between 67-69 F. I actually bought aquarium heaters because it's a bit cold in the reservoirs. (18gal)
The 31gal will be interesting to see how warm they hold.

Madbud

Madbud

Learned the same lesson going from fluorescent/cmh to led’s last year, great looking comeback. I’m still playing with a half dozen different led/blurples on my houseplants before the next grow.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Seriously? I'm running 1.5g per gal of Magnesium Sulfate. How much do these monsters need?

I'm running Jack's 321 50%. Maybe I need to up it?

Also I'm gonna need a bigger taller space...

IMG 20221111 155620
IMG 20221111 155539
Last edited:
ninjadip

ninjadip

I think I've turned the corner and the first batch is rebounding. New growth is green and roots are stretching. Poor babies were on the edge teetering. Hydroguard, S AG and Orca along with fresh res's with lower ppms and lowering of light was what it took.

Of which all those were from the help I got from the people here. Getting a little dusty in here... Thank you thank you thank you.
Curious, did you try one of those beneficials on their own or you went right to using all 3, hydroguard, ag, and orca, from the beginning?

I think any of those 3 are good enough by themselves, and orca definitely not needing anything else as it is regarded as one of the best for hydro.

Just curious. I had used southern AG on my first grow, and this time I tried something else and halfway through this second grow it has lost its effectiveness and I found myself doing a heavy dose with AG. Also doing a serious upgrade in air pumps and the amount of DO in my res, plus making the switch to Orca.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

As a knee jerk emergency move, I used hydroguard first x2 dose and it didn't seem to kick in at all. I got the S.AG in and double dosed it maybe 3-4 days later. The Hydroguard and S.Ag gives the good bacteria but I wanted some mycorrhizae so I decided to add Orca along with the last of the hydroguard.

But, before I added the Orca I decided I was going do a full nute change.

I don't think the hydroguard was good as it didn't do squat. A big Zero.

So I double dosed S.Ag Orca and whatever was left of the hydro guard. It all kicked in like I think it was 8 hours. Massive slime bacterial colonies in the roots. So I kept the res's full and washed the roots twice a day( under tap water) duhhh, I didn't think about the chlorine. So about the 3rd day the slime seemed to slow down and I got some hygrozyme and soaked the roots for 15 minutes and put them back in the res.

I'm now slime free and have only topped the nutes off with water and a little Cal mag plus. Coming up on 2 weeks so I need to do another change.

I dose weekly with 1ml of S. AG now to 15 gallons of water.

I got some TPS billions and brewed a gallon of tea as well. Gave it a run and it also did a monster blow out of roots but not before it cause a massive slime outbreak.

If I had a choice it would be S. AG and a 50 gal drum of Orca..

But I'll stick with S AG and TPS billions for now as all the res's have a colony in them lining the walls but my water is clear.

After everything I could slap myself because it makes perfect sense. Canals, lakes and oceans have clear water after their flora is stabilized. I remember snorkeling through 6 ft tide pipes coated in micro Flora and the water being crystal clear. It was one of those "A-HA!!" Moments.

The main points I learned:
1. At the first sign of slime clean and sterilize your stuff.
2. Start all the bennies before a new run.
3. Don't over colonize with bennies.
4. Bennies take 7-10 days to do their thing and stabilize.
5. Don't soak your roots in Hygrozyme too long as it will kill them.
6. Top feed with bennies to get them in the clay/rooter.
7. Turn the lights down when shit happens.
8. When the slime clears up and the plants thrive you may have nutrient imbalances as it taken up.

Last edited:
ninjadip

ninjadip

As a knee jerk emergency move, I used hydroguard first x2 dose and it didn't seem to kick in at all. I got the S.AG in and double dosed it maybe 3-4 days later. The Hydroguard and S.Ag gives the good bacteria but I wanted some mycorrhizae so I decided to add Orca along with the last of the hydroguard.

But, before I added the Orca I decided I was going do a full nute change.

I don't think the hydroguard was good as it didn't do squat. A big Zero.

So I double dosed S.Ag Orca and whatever was left of the hydro guard. It all kicked in like I think it was 8 hours. Massive slime bacterial colonies in the roots. So I kept the res's full and washed the roots twice a day( under tap water) duhhh, I didn't think about the chlorine. So about the 3rd day the slime seemed to slow down and I got some hygrozyme and soaked the roots for 15 minutes and put them back in the res.

I'm now slime free and have only topped the nutes off with water and a little Cal mag plus. Coming up on 2 weeks so I need to do another change.

I dose weekly with 1ml of S. AG now to 15 gallons of water.

I got some TPS billions and brewed a gallon of tea as well. Gave it a run and it also did a monster blow out of roots but not before it cause a massive slime outbreak.

If I had a choice it would be S. AG and a 50 gal drum of Orca..

But I'll stick with S AG and TPS billions for now as all the res's have a colony in them lining the walls but my water is clear.

After everything I could slap myself because it makes perfect sense. Canals, lakes and oceans have clear water after their flora is stabilized. I remember snorkeling through 6 ft tide pipes coated in micro Flora and the water being crystal clear. It was one of those "A-HA!!" Moments.

The main points I learned:
1. At the first sign of slime clean and sterilize your stuff.
2. Start all the bennies before a new run.
3. Don't over colonize with bennies.
4. Bennies take 7-10 days to do their thing and stabilize.
5. Don't soak your roots in Hygrozyme too long as it will kill them.
6. Top feed with bennies to get them in the clay/rooter.
7. Turn the lights down when shit happens.
8. When the slime clears up and the plants thrive you may have nutrient imbalances as it taken up.

ok i follow you.
I asked about the all three, because the majority of that stuff overlaps.

I really appreciate you sharing your epiphany about the coating of your dwc to the microflora with clear water in the real world. That does make total sense, and i hadn't thought about that.

Top Bottom