Blurple light rebuilt mod help

• Thread starter Wismo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wismo

Wismo

Hi everyone .
I have a blurple light marketed at 1000 watts.
Now I know that's not accurate.
So I opened it up and I was thinking of getting rid of the purple stuff and using the drivers and heatsink .
Here's the pictures I took.
Maybe I can use the drivers and make a better light.
Have any of you done this.
Just trying to make a better light on the cheap.
And I love diy .

Blurple light rebuilt mod help
Blurple light rebuilt mod help 2
Blurple light rebuilt mod help 3
Blurple light rebuilt mod help 4
needshelpguy

needshelpguy

I may be able to help but a bit confused on what your tryna achieve, take a better pic of one of those power supplies so I can read the back

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Whoops didn't see first pic yes you're correct you can run 50w per driver

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

The lights will be the only things powered on the drivers so you already have 150w of led

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

I don't get how that could draw 1000w? As the computer fans would be max 100w bringing the total to max 350w?

Wismo

Wismo

I bought the lights marketed as a 1000 watt LED when I first started not knowing any better now I just want to replace that with maybe a quantum panel even 150 watts would be easier on my eyes are those purple lights

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Any luck with your mod? I've since retired a couple blurples myself. I have the same interest in diy with these parts. If only the diy LED gurus would bless this thread. I'd love to run a couple samsung strips for a cabinet project. Saw on YouTube a general explanation of drivers and led pairing. Look up growmau5 and chilled LED. If it helps you out...

basscaptain

basscaptain

Any luck with your mod? I've since retired a couple blurples myself. I have the same interest in diy with these parts. If only the diy LED gurus would bless this thread. I'd love to run a couple samsung strips for a cabinet project. Saw on YouTube a general explanation of drivers and led pairing. Look up growmau5 and chilled LED. If it helps you out...
i'll be fixing a light in the next few days I'll post what I do.....

Wismo

Wismo

I retired a blurple too just a couple weeks ago.
I ended up buying a led kit with Samsung strips. I'll post a picture.
I still want to do something with the blurple though.
While I had it apart I plugged it in and started unplugging wires.
It looks like each of those drivers in my picture run a third of the led board.
So it's split into three sections.
So I was thinking of getting 3 qb 288 v1 boards and build a frame, maybe.
IMG 20200109 140859882 HDR

Kindly ignore yellow sticky cards hanging up .

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

So I was thinking of getting 3 qb 288 v1 boards and build a frame, maybe.View attachment 931513

It may not be quite that simple. You have to know what the voltage requirement is to run each of those quantum boards. For example 24v at 50w would work if your driver can output those specs. I have old man eyes. I can't read the numbers on your drivers. Can you post a close up of one of those drivers?

basscaptain

basscaptain

So I was thinking of getting 3 qb 288 v1 boards and build a frame, maybe.View attachment 931513
I would just buy 3 of these cobs and put them on the led broad and hook them up to those drivers and be done with it and have a cob light for cheap $$$$

Wismo

Wismo

Can't post any close ups light is reassembled.
Maybe click on pic and zoom in.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Wondering what the hell I'm looking at here. Light fixture was labeled as 1200w LED. Don't know what actual draw was. I can't decipher the drivers and power supply. If these are worth using, what strip or cob could i power? The other light is a 300w. Anybody with any help or direction it's welcome to come in. Thread originator, sorry about the mild highjack. Hopefully we all get some info.

IMG 20191222 130401636
IMG 20191222 130350104
IMG 20191222 130257725
IMG 20200119 230939816
IMG 20200119 230926701
Wismo

Wismo

So I don't know too mu about this stuff I'm still learning, but it looks like two drivers so that board is split in two each driver is running half the board but that's probably obvious.
If I had to guess you probably could go in the same direction I am with the boards from hlg at least or maybe more.
Maybe compare the specs on my drivers as a reference.
And go half as much just a thought.
I'm hoping the led gurus will chime in.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

So I don't know too mu about this stuff I'm still learning, but it looks like two drivers so that board is split in two each driver is running half the board but that's probably obvious.
If I had to guess you probably could go in the same direction I am with the boards from hlg at least or maybe more.
Maybe compare the specs on my drivers as a reference.
And go half as much just a thought.
I'm hoping the led gurus will chime in.

Here is what is going on. I have yet to be able to make out the numbers on the drivers in any of the pics (old man eyes) However, if you know how to use a multimeter, you can quickly check the driver outputs. Before buy any chips for it, you need to know 2 things: What is it's DC output and how many amps it can produce. You need those numbers before you go buying LED cobs or boards.

For example: You want to power a 50w 3000k cob. Many of those are running at 34-36 volts. If your driver can only produce 12v, you can't run that chip. Fortunately, there are also 50w cobs that run on 12v dc. If your driver outputs at 12v and can provide enough amps, you can run that 12v chip.

Here's the best part. The numbers are on the side of the drivers. You just have to find that information and match your chips accordingly. What you all are trying to do CAN BE DONE if you chose the right components.

Top Bottom