Bog Bubble / Cree 3590 : First Grow From A Decade Absense.

• Thread starter jguit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jguit

jguit

Supporter
Hi guys.. This is my first grow from over a decade of not growing. My previous experience was hydro grows using an NFT system and DWC bubbler buckets. Also, I've previously used 1000w and 600w HPS.

I've decided to go LED and am using x8 Cree 3590 COBs running @ approx 50w a piece (400w driver) in a 3'x3' grow tent.

I've germinated and sprouted x9 of the Bog Bubble seeds and am waiting a few weeks or more until i can sex them.

The plan is to get these little guys sexed and cloned. I'll be growing x9 of the clones in my tent in 3 gallon smart pots to flower.

LED/COBs seem to have a bit of a learning curve to those who are used to HPS/MH/Flouro's. I just got my Apogee DQ-520 USB quantum sensor and just found out i had these poor little guys under approx 700 PPF with the LED's @ approx 2.5' above the tops. I've dimmed the lights to give approx 250+ PPF.

A few of the first leaves are a bit twisty and I'm not sure if it's because i have them growing in FFOF soil (soil too hot?) or because the lights were too close. Maybe a combo of both? Either way, they still look fine to me with the exception of one that was never quite right. I personally never had problems with FFOF and seedlings.

Anyway.. Wish me luck!

Bog bubble  cree 3590  first grow from a decade absense

sixstring

sixstring

Welcome back to growing.great start with the strain and lighting choices should be awesome in a few months.im using about 300 to 400 ppfd on seedlings and 400 to 600 on older veg plants then about 750 to 900 on the big girls in flower.with veg I have the lights up about 3 feet from the plants and in flower as close as I can get them,which right now is about 2 feet but I'm still tweaking shit.you using 3500k cobs or something else?

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Ha! Yea, FFOF isn't the greatest but i've only used it on seedlings/mothers and once the plants eat all the nutrients from the soil, I feed with liquid nutrients anyway. Do you have any soil suggestions for seedlings/clones?

Perhaps I'll crank the lights to about 350 ppfd in a day or so.. I'm running x8 3590's 3500k (DIY'd). I'll take a pic of my lighting tomorrow morning. These guys (and hopefully gals) are about a week old.

Also, I didn't mention in my first post.. I plan to use Pro Mix HP in my 3 gallon smart pots. As far as nutrients are concerned, I'm going to use Jack's (JR Peters). I've been in contact with them and they plan on releasing a Cannabis specific blend very soon (April 1st?) and i was going to give those a shot. I've had good experiences with their fertilizers in the past in straight up hydro systems. This is my first go at soil-less.

Bog Bubble was the last strain i grew and really enjoyed the smoke. Figured it'd be nice to run that strain again!

BTW, are you running COBs as well? What's you experience with issues with cal/mag deficiencies and running the temps higher (85F)? I've read quite a bit about keeping the temperature higher than HPS.

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

What is a cob? Nevermind,yeah man promix and Jack's now your talkin my language haha.i use promix how plus(myco's and biofungicides) for everything.popping seeds I just use the promix by itself for about 3 to 4 weeks maybe a lil Jack's around 2 to 3 weeks in.
If you up your feed strength a bit you won't need the calmag under LEDs.learned that from a led guru here goes by @arb :cool:

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Nice! If you're using pro mix and jack's, I'm sure i've read a ton of your posts! haha.. Which jack's regimen are you using? Classic, Citrus or the 321 bit? I suppose they'll all get you from point A to B. I'm curious to try their cannabis specific mix when it comes out.

Thanks for the calmag tip, I'll keep in mind.

Here's a few more pics of my setup. Still using my trusty heavy duty intermatic timer, it never failed me. I also made a quick connect cable from my ballast to LEDs using some XLR cable and connectors i had laying around. There's a fan and charcoal filter that you can't see from the pics also in the setup.

IMG 4485
IMG 4486
IMG 4487
sixstring

sixstring

If your really into this diy stuff check out this wifi driver dimming.it has a bunch of cool features.can dim from your smart phone and has step type programmable dim plus dim to off.

I'm saving up for one,see if I can use it with my gavita

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Nothing much to write about today. They're looking pretty good so far. The one that looked a little bit wonky seems to look a little better today since i dimmed the lights a bit (from 700 ppfd to 250 ppfd). That one still appears to be a weak specimen so far, it happens. I'll crank the lights up to 300 or so this weekend. Will take another pic in a few days. Waiting to sex plants is worse than waiting for paint to dry. Well.. Maybe not. Painting sucks.

bicky studs

bicky studs

Ha! Yea, FFOF isn't the greatest but i've only used it on seedlings/mothers and once the plants eat all the nutrients from the soil, I feed with liquid nutrients anyway. Do you have any soil suggestions for seedlings/clones?

Perhaps I'll crank the lights to about 350 ppfd in a day or so.. I'm running x8 3590's 3500k (DIY'd). I'll take a pic of my lighting tomorrow morning. These guys (and hopefully gals) are about a week old.

Also, I didn't mention in my first post.. I plan to use Pro Mix HP in my 3 gallon smart pots. As far as nutrients are concerned, I'm going to use Jack's (JR Peters). I've been in contact with them and they plan on releasing a Cannabis specific blend very soon (April 1st?) and i was going to give those a shot. I've had good experiences with their fertilizers in the past in straight up hydro systems. This is my first go at soil-less.

Bog Bubble was the last strain i grew and really enjoyed the smoke. Figured it'd be nice to run that strain again!

BTW, are you running COBs as well? What's you experience with issues with cal/mag deficiencies and running the temps higher (85F)? I've read quite a bit about keeping the temperature higher than HPS.
are u running cobs...
six could light up the moon lol
IMG 1789

bicky studs

bicky studs

Nice! If you're using pro mix and jack's, I'm sure i've read a ton of your posts! haha.. Which jack's regimen are you using? Classic, Citrus or the 321 bit? I suppose they'll all get you from point A to B. I'm curious to try their cannabis specific mix when it comes out.

Thanks for the calmag tip, I'll keep in mind.

Here's a few more pics of my setup. Still using my trusty heavy duty intermatic timer, it never failed me. I also made a quick connect cable from my ballast to LEDs using some XLR cable and connectors i had laying around. There's a fan and charcoal filter that you can't see from the pics also in the setup.
nice m8. im in for the ride:badboy:

sixstring

sixstring

Curious Six, what pH are you hitting in Pro Mix HP?
When I use Jack's it lands around 5,8 6,0 when I use ionic it lands around 6.0 to 6.2 on the amended stuff my plain water is about 6.9 to 7.1 and i use it just like that.i probably check pH maybe 1 or 2 gallons a week sometimes less and I use about 25 gallons a day.but i have a pretty good idea of what each chemical does to my pH .if I need to raise it I'll use some silica or humic acid or even pk boost.if I wanna lower it I have a few things like yucca or a dab of molasses to bring it down.ive had the same bottles of pH up n down forever lol.
are u running cobs...
six could light up the moon lolView attachment 781930
Shhhh,I'm trying to stay under the radar haha.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Here we are at just over a week and a half. Everyone is looking pretty good. Hopefully we have some ladies in the bunch! Are most folks using feminized seeds these days? I've yet to purchase a pack. I guess i'm a bit old school.

Dropping my lights from 700 ppfd at the tops to 250 lowered my temps by around 5 degrees F, give or take.

Image1
jguit

jguit

Supporter
When I use Jack's it lands around 5,8 6,0 when I use ionic it lands around 6.0 to 6.2 on the amended stuff my plain water is about 6.9 to 7.1 and i use it just like that.i probably check pH maybe 1 or 2 gallons a week sometimes less and I use about 25 gallons a day.but i have a pretty good idea of what each chemical does to my pH .if I need to raise it I'll use some silica or humic acid or even pk boost.if I wanna lower it I have a few things like yucca or a dab of molasses to bring it down.ive had the same bottles of pH up n down forever lol.

Shhhh,I'm trying to stay under the radar haha.

Cool.. I have to go with RO water these days. Had a water analysis done and determined my tap water was absolute shit. It runs about 450 ppm with super high amounts of Chlorides and very very hard. It wasn't worth the headache. I was fortunate to have excellent tap water in my old place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom