BONE AND BLOOD vs. KELP AND ALFALFA

• Thread starter tattoojim
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
any thoughts on not using iether combo...ive been mixing my own soil and have not been using blood and bone...am i messing up not using these o_O

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I personally don't like bone and blood meal, look at where most of the commercial products come from and the practices that lead to it...also, chicken manure I stay away from as it's typically cheap garbage and I don't care for cottonseed meal as well...could name a couple more too...lol

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
I personally don't like bone and blood meal, look at where most of the commercial products come from and the practices that lead to it...also, chicken manure I stay away from as it's typically cheap garbage and I don't care for cottonseed meal as well...could name a couple more too...lol
ive tryd to stay away from them..but i want to build a good soil..as far as poo, i have ewc, batguano bloom and veg, lol and some chicken poo that has been sitting for over a year now..
amendments..rock phosephate, azomite, lime, gypsum, alfalfa, kelp, d.e.,,epsom

opt1c

opt1c

don't forget feather meal as well... i like the feather, alfalfa, and kelp meals better... not as much smell and outdoors it's not as tempting for wildlife to dig up

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
don't forget feather meal as well... i like the feather, alfalfa, and kelp meals better... not as much smell and outdoors it's not as tempting for wildlife to dig up
i have never cheched into feather meal ..will check into it...:)

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
fish.

red wiggler worms

kitchen scraps and newspaper for compost

egg shells.

green manure crops aka cover crops (bean, alfalfa, kelp, soy)
trust me kolah :D...i will have a outdoor worm farm of red wigglers..im looking to buy some land this next year..:)..until then im a city boy buying bags of dirt and adding what i can find :(

green punk

green punk

I agree careful w the Alfalfa. Ive had plants that will not flush out, stay as green as my veggers.
The animal bi products have been used for centuries for agriculture. As stated above their sources are ethically and morally against what many believe. I like the bone meal liquid and granular. It is a super solid source of P and Ca.
One thing I think about is the guano sources. They regions the guano is sourced are probably getting hammered pretty hard. Not sure just speculating. I use the shit out of ST guanos for years and now using VE. Many of the nutrient sources we use in our gardens come from mines that are finite. I used to get a Kmag that had these crystals that looked almost like rubys. The source was tapped by 03 or 04. Now we use some stuff from propellet. Peat is mined. They mess up the enviro big time sourcing it.

Kelp, I often wonder about the radiation and other nasty toxins absorbed from the environment.

Anyhow, to garden organically, we will eventually have to use renewable (mostly from animals) sources of nutrients.

Sorry bout ramble.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Yeah, plants have been eating dead organisms for ever but they hardly had the meat slaughterhouses they have nowadays back in the olden days!
The animal refuge used back then was as natural as it gets, nowadays half of that shit is tainted with the awesome HEALTH of the animal in question....lots of diseases come from slaughterhouses and that many of any animal living in such shitty circumstances...I do agree with animal byproduct use but from a commercial slaughterhouse, NO thanks.

green punk

green punk

I am with you on that note Baba. Ethics man. Its hard to be a vegan. I am not. I eat meat daily.(another subject)
I have tried my best to make an ethical source conscience soil. Its very difficult to grow plants as healthy as the ones using the vegan soil though.

green punk

green punk

TTJ Yeah there is oyster shell flower for a quicker source for Ca and some micros. And crushed shells that are excellent for long term Ca source and the shell creates a great surface for the benies to live and eat etc. I ve read on here where some think the oysters potentially have toxic metals. Not sure. i use pacific pearl.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
TTJ Yeah there is oyster shell flower for a quicker source for Ca and some micros. And crushed shells that are excellent for long term Ca source and the shell creates a great surface for the benies to live and eat etc. I ve read on here where some think the oysters potentially have toxic metals. Not sure. i use pacific pearl.
rite on man :D...im trying to fine tune my mix...at this point im falling on my face again:(

K

kolah

It does make it difficult to try and grow "organic" as so much "natural" stuff is toxic.

What will it be like in 5 years? 10 years? If we do not act, it will continue to worsen.

Then what will we do? And what about clean water too?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I agree kolah, it's tough to find materials to feed your plants that are made on a small scale versus commercial byproducts. You gotta run your farm/ranch as a egg to bones mentality and have a well rounded natural/diverse population of flora/fauna. Homesteading should make a comeback as a fight to the corporations way of eating/living :D

S

swisscheese

I would not drop the alfalfa and kelp that's where your plants get their organic super juices from. Alfalfa is a natural source of triacontanol which makes everything better from stress tolerance, trich coverage, yield, and flavor. The kelp meal has cytokinins(spelling?) which help your plants as well. They're natural sources of pgr's and hormones basically would definitely not cut them out but maybe try some teas with both and see what's up.

S

swisscheese

I agree kolah, it's tough to find materials to feed your plants that are made on a small scale versus commercial byproducts. You gotta run your farm/ranch as a egg to bones mentality and have a well rounded natural/diverse population of flora/fauna. Homesteading should make a comeback as a fight to the corporations way of eating/living :D
Baba is right on with the homesteading! Growing and smoking go right along with homesteading too the good ganja shows you the path of enlightenment in life. No products from a bag or store now that's true organic!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom