bottled nutrients

• Thread starter CT Guy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CT Guy

My local feed store has basically refused to even try to source feed grade molasses for me. I'm pissed. I tried to get A&M. Well, you can get "grain hay" & M (M=molasses), but not alfalfal (alfalfa = A) and molasses. And it's no longer sold in 100lb bags, it's 50lb bags for double the cost I remember from when I was a kid. Same thing with the alfalfa pellets.

These nutrients are not bottled. :D

That sucks.....has anyone played around with the grain hay? I know alfalfa has some unique properties, but you may get some of the benefits from the hay as well? Possibly as a compost pile catalyst?

B

Bubblemang

You have got to be joking....this guy definitely did not even read my original post!:confused0054:

not joking, selling. Hey UP: how about "coot's organic crap in a bottle"? catchy ey?

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

chomp, chomp, chomp. could you pass the salt, please?

liquid shit in a bottle? (LSB) I love it. how 'bout organic cold pressed worm turds from a Tibetan monastery located next to a proprietary bog in N Humboldt?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
His post read very spammy, so I did a quick search to see if that was the modus operandi and it's not, so I left it alone.
chomp, chomp, chomp. could you pass the salt, please?

liquid shit in a bottle? (LSB) I love it. how 'bout organic cold pressed worm turds from a Tibetan monastery located next to a proprietary bog in N Humboldt?
The City of 10,000 Buddhas, in Ukiah. Go to the restaurant. Eat to your head. Enjoy and be peaceful.

I do happen to have some liquid shit in a bottle, liquified guano and bone or blood meal, and the stench hails from Hades and DAMN if my girls don't LOVE THAT SHIT.
That sucks.....has anyone played around with the grain hay? I know alfalfa has some unique properties, but you may get some of the benefits from the hay as well? Possibly as a compost pile catalyst?
We're going to see soon! I've incorporated four gallons (volumetric measure, probably shoulda gone by weight but I was in a hurry to get it done) of the A&M, which does have alfalfa in it (reread the label) but also has that unidentified grain hay, which right now I'll have to assume is a lot of oat by the looks of it, into my established planting bed. I mixed that up with two gallons of alfalfa pellets.

All these feed products are markedly different than they were when I was a kid and showing and breeding horses back in the late 70s-80s. Bags are smaller, half the weight, and the products look and feel different.

Anyway, did a huge job on that bed yesterday, used the remaining rice hulls (about 7'cu) along with the 4gals A&M, 2gals alfalfa pellets, and a shit-ton of other amendments, including soft rock phosphate, greensand, dolomite lime, azomite, guano... DAMN IT! I forgot the chicken shit. I wore myself out yesterday, too, because I used the hand-tiller to get it all worked in and the pine needles get caught in the tines and then it just pushes the media around instead of working stuff in.

I'm rambling, aren't I? The point I wanted to make is that I've jumped in with both feet, because, let's face it, if you're gonna jump it may as well be with both feet.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

The City of 10,000 Buddhas, in Ukiah. Go to the restaurant. Eat to your head. Enjoy and be peaceful.
The silly comment was of the quick stream of consciousness variety, but nevertheless it bothered me or more accurately, I had mixed emotions about the 'Tibetan monastery' reference. The Dalai Lama is an important part of my very eclectic belief system- The Universe in a Single Atom, is the most recent book of his that I've read. It was the absurdity of the geography that was foremost in my mind, although the care associated w/ monks- be they Buddhist or Franciscan was also there. In other words, no offense was meant.

His post read very spammy, so I did a quick search to see if that was the modus operandi and it's not, so I left it alone.
I saw the join date, the number of posts and jumped in w/ both feet. The individual's major "sin", IMO, was giving props to a product line of bottled nutes in this particular thread, for obvious reasons. But I must say...
I thought I was bad, but you guys are just merciless. :tongue0011:

The irony is, the guy was propping an organic product and in almost any other context I would've been supportive or, at least, remained neutral. If nothing else, the bottled nutes thread has one hell of a welcoming committee. No territorialism at all around these parts. :rofl

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

:joint: OK... if you insist.

Almost forgot. Thanks SM for the recommendation. Willing to bet that my wife and I would both feel right at home there.

U

Udyana Peace

CT_Guy

At wholesale nursery houses they sell a product out of Canada called EcoTrol (a miticide) which is 'really' organic - as in the real deal. OTA, USDA NOP, Oregon Tilth, CCOF, Washington Tilth, et al. The MSRP is $89.99 per gallon and the application rate is 2 oz. to 1 gallon of water, i.e. 64 applications.

This is the one I spoke with you about a couple of months back and I've batched out 10 cycles using 1 method for extraction and another 10 cycles using honest-to-God enzymes from tropical fruits.

To assemble all of the ingredients to make 20 gallons (at 3x the strength of EcoTrol) the cost was less than $15.00 and much of that was for the enzymes.

I'm sending you the formula(s) and you can run with it. I got it to work and work correctly. There a number of studies out of Canada using EcoTrol vs. Floramite with EcoTrol coming out equal.

If the wholesale price is around $90.00 then I can't wait to see what NGW will do with it once it comes out for retail customers in 8 & 16 oz. bottles. I'm betting that 8 oz. will sell for $19.95 and pints for $29.95

Or more.

UP

C

CT Guy

CT_Guy

At wholesale nursery houses they sell a product out of Canada called EcoTrol (a miticide) which is 'really' organic - as in the real deal. OTA, USDA NOP, Oregon Tilth, CCOF, Washington Tilth, et al. The MSRP is $89.99 per gallon and the application rate is 2 oz. to 1 gallon of water, i.e. 64 applications.

This is the one I spoke with you about a couple of months back and I've batched out 10 cycles using 1 method for extraction and another 10 cycles using honest-to-God enzymes from tropical fruits.

To assemble all of the ingredients to make 20 gallons (at 3x the strength of EcoTrol) the cost was less than $15.00 and much of that was for the enzymes.

I'm sending you the formula(s) and you can run with it. I got it to work and work correctly. There a number of studies out of Canada using EcoTrol vs. Floramite with EcoTrol coming out equal.

If the wholesale price is around $90.00 then I can't wait to see what NGW will do with it once it comes out for retail customers in 8 & 16 oz. bottles. I'm betting that 8 oz. will sell for $19.95 and pints for $29.95

Or more.

UP

I'm interested...shoot me a PM or give me a call sometime!

B

Bubblemang

Or more.

UP

Which is exactly why you need to sell "up's bottled plant juices". I'd rather get ripped off by you than super ripped off by canna...

If you spit in each bottle then you can call it "biological" :evilgrin0040: and you can use "veganic"... no trademark on that yet. hehe. I'm a marketing genius.

"Up's Biological Veganic Plant Juices" sign me up!

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Thanks. Pulled the ecotrol pdf and will keep it on my radar. There's been a conspicuous absence of insects in my rooms since I began using the homemade FPJ brew but regardless, outdoors is where my real problem has been. I think I must live in happiest place on earth for butterflies and moths.

Just out of curiosity, anyone else using or ever use spinosad? I used as part of last year's outdoor arsenal- mostly on container surfaces, door entrances, etc. but not directly on plants... yet. The bacteria may have come into existence solely as a result of the presence of man, which I find intriguing.
derived from a naturally occurring soil dwelling bacterium called Saccharopolyspora spinosa, a rare actinomycete reportedly collected from soil in an abandoned rum distillery on a Caribbean Island in 1982 by a scientist on vacation.[1] It has not been found in nature since that time, and was subsequently described as a new species. The bacteria produce compounds (metabolites) while in a fermentation broth. The first fermentation-derived compound was formulated in 1988. Spinosad has since been formulated into insecticides that combine the efficacy of a synthetic insecticide with the benefits of a biological pest control organism.

M

mrbong73

Just out of curiosity, anyone else using or ever use spinosad?

I use it on some of my outdoor plants and mary plants as a last resort before going into flower.
Mostly use it for thrips on my citrus trees. It also states that it can be used for spider mites. (If you read through the little book that comes with it)
It works good for catepillars for sure. You just have to spray every couple of weeks since it doesn't hang around for long.
mrb

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use it every two weeks, usually religiously, alternating with Safer Bt spray. I make sure to spray in the evening or early morning, not because of the sun, but because of the wind, or lack of it, at those times.

The darker-colored girls are going to be much more susceptible to being hit. You can use it up to two weeks prior to harvest.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That's one of the very wonderful things about living at altitude--no fleas.

C

CT Guy

Bumping this thread for Persian Prince, since I had already written my opinion on bottled nutes.

I really believe you need to build your soil, as that's the most effective way of feeding your plants.

I have all these ingredients in my soil mix:
Alfalfa Meal
Kelp Meal
Fish Bone Meal
Crustacean Meal
Oyster Shell Flour
Glacial Rock Dust
Soft Rock Phosphate
Neem Seed Meal
SP-85 Humic acid
Fish meal
Karanja meal
Alaska Peat Moss
Pumice
KIS Fungal Compost

(though you could probably get by with a lot less ingredients if your local feed store doesn't carry all of them).

My soil costs me around $4/cubic foot.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've posted this before and I'm posting it again as I read paper after paper, urine. From a healthy source with no infections. In combination with wood ashes it appears to be an almost complete meal for plants. Some issues arise with vegetable types (root veggies compared to other types, such as corn) and application style and timing, as well as possible storage issues, but otherwise it's an incredible untapped reservoir of free, almost complete fertilizer.

C

CT Guy

I've posted this before and I'm posting it again as I read paper after paper, urine. From a healthy source with no infections. In combination with wood ashes it appears to be an almost complete meal for plants. Some issues arise with vegetable types (root veggies compared to other types, such as corn) and application style and timing, as well as possible storage issues, but otherwise it's an incredible untapped reservoir of free, almost complete fertilizer.

Wouldn't it be highly dependent on your own eating/drinking patterns? I'm not opposed to it on an intellectual level, but emotionally I just can't bring myself to pee on the soil for the plants that I love and plan on consuming someday in the near future.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes and no, the presumption is that the contributors are eating a normal diet with no significant health problems (medication can present as much of a problem as what's being consumed), and outside of composting toilets or separating toilets, it's best to simply use each day's production while it's fresh (assuming you need high nitrogen content). It's actually more dependent on your general health (infections) and how the product itself is handled and used. The issues have a lot more to do with acceptance than anything else. Of course, you can always utilize the composting method if using fresh just won't work for someone's particular scenario. Mixed with wood ashes to the point of slurry, there's no smell that I can detect (that may not be saying much).

Interesting, isn't it, that we have no problem using the excreta of other animals, but not our own, isn't it? Like I said, adhere to some basic guidelines, including handling (methods to eliminate microbial growth) and timing, and you're golden.

Amazingly, outside of problems such as those with active bladder infections, there are few, if any, diseases passed commonly in first world countries. Third world are a different matter, but again, there are steps that can be taken that can go a long way toward ensuring very good safety. That's one of the reasons, I believe, why the standard practice is to not use this method of feeding less than one month before harvest, and that seems prudent.

Aquarium or pond water--does that fit, mentally? It's a lot like that to me. Plus, I don't know how it is for you, but our cats seem to always manage to get into the planting beds and what cat do you know that can resist shitting in mulch or freshly turned earth? It's the main reason why I wear gloves to garden, because more than once I've pulled my hand back out with cat crap on it. Ew.

In any event, the storage, handling and disposal of human waste is a problem everywhere, whether it happens close to you or not. We live on an engineered septic system and I'm going around spending hard earned money on fertilizers, all the while practicing the "It's Mellow If It's Yellow" methodology that stains the toilets and smells up the house, and I have plants that need feeding. It's like killing rattlesnakes and using poison to kill the gophers and squirrels the rattlesnakes ate--it makes absolutely NO sense to me to do things that way.

I understand the feelings of others, though. I feel a little sorry for my husband, he told me that when I got "on this thing" that he apparently knew it was only a "matter of time." Whatever that means. :giggle
I think I've gone full hippie on him.:damnhippie:

C

CT Guy

Thanks CT

Makes a lot more sense with those prices. I'm gonna give it a go with my next crop.

Let me know when you're ready and what you have easily accessible and I'm pretty positive we can put something together that will rival or beat your current system.

Cheers,
CT

Top Bottom