Bottom of stem loosing bark, is my plant sick?

• Thread starter AeroponicApparatus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

The image depicting the lower part of the stem is the picture in question. The plant smells, and looks happy. The roots are not stained any color. Nice off-white. This is my second attempt at a grow.
DWC
Day 28.
Constant 6.0PH
71°F(I know that's running it hot, Ice probe OTW)
1.5 EC
20/4
Auto Fem Mazar Dodgers.

Bottom of stem loosing bark is my plant sick
Bottom of stem loosing bark is my plant sick 2
Bottom of stem loosing bark is my plant sick 3
NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Pic of the roots? That looks funky. I read an article somewhere about "foot rot" in cannabis. Caused by fusarium solani. What do you run in your rez? Live or sterile? Your net pot is clear, could this be letting light into your rez? That could cause problems.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Second look. There's all sorts of fungus growing on top of your media. What is your chosen hydroponic media?

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

I don't want to pull the roots up right now, as I don't have a glove to funnel them back in right now. They looked healthy earlier during the feeding. I don't think light is getting in to the res from the pods personally. I'm not sure how to answer the live vs sterile question. I'm using CES nutrients & hydrogaurd, so I would assume live. What did you suggest about the fungus? Is this irreparable damage? I'm not entirely sure what the hydroponic media is, as this is an aerogarden 24XL, and I used what they come with. Do you have a suggestion on a more stable media?

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

I'm thinking, if I can achieve 65°F or less, it will eliminate these issues of fungus and bacteria. I just really don't want to start all over again. My taller plant appears to be fungus free, and has no foot rot.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

The fungus is probably beneficial, it just showed me that it's wet right there at the base of the stem all the time, probably why the stem is rotting away.

I'm not sure about the aerogarden, I don't think they designed it with cannabis in mind.

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Well, Thursday the ice probe is going in, and my temps will be optimal. Should be low enough to keep any bad guys from forming. The Aerogarden definitely wasn't designed for cannabis, but I see no difference in this DWC versus the next, other than size and design. The Aerogarden pumps that trickle water in from the top are shut off completely, so the only place it could be getting wet from is the bubbles that are popping from down below. I have one line generating large bubbles, and one nano bubbles. I'll pull the large bubble line in hopes that it'll stop that media from getting soaked. Ultimate question is, do I wait for the ice probe, see if it gets better, (monitor the leaves and such) or do I kill it now, in hopes that it doesn't spread any pathogens to the healthy plant?

Last edited:
AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Or I guess, from what you said it doesn't really sound like there's any bacterial or fungal issue that will affect the plants health, but as long as I don't see anything like that on the bud it should be good to go if it can survive it's stem rot?

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
If the cambium gets completely destroyed 360° it's like girdling and then your roots will hunger to death, and your plant dies.
You see how it's gotten thicker there it's when it tries to heal damage tissue back. Something really nasty got foothold there, I'd disinfect the hell out of the site and afterwards use a professional artificial bark to close the wound entirely.
The single-bladed lower leaf shows purple spots you have no guarantee that whatever is there doesnt spread elsewhere

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

What do you suggest I disinfect it with? Will Peroxide work? & Suggestions on the artificial bark? I believe the purple on the leaf is just due to the lights/camera fortunately.

Homesteader

Homesteader

You could coat the damaged portion in honey and then plastic wrap. Hydrogen peroxide may work but also may make the damage go deeper.....Personally I would try both though. Peroxide and follow it with the honey wrap

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Okay, I think I'm going go with getting the Physan. Seems safe to use. Then I'll wrap it with honey. I'm afraid the peroxide may be too powerful and do further damage after further thought.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Shall I wrap it anything?

I've seen this hundreds of times, as someone mentioned above it's "foot rot" very similar to root rot and fairly certain it's the same thing that causes it. This is pretty common in hydroponics. The only thing I have found that works to control it (once a plant has it it's almost impossible to get rid of entirely) is make certain to close up any light leaks into your reservoir and light leaking in at the base of your plants. I wouldn't wrap it in anything that will hold moisture. You can maybe take some aluminum foil, wrap it around the stalk a few inches above the base to act as a "shade" to keep light from leaking down into the root zone. Watch your RH levels and once per day open your grow room and let fresh air in. Make sure you have really good air flow at the base of your plants (a good oscillating fan should clear that up pretty quickly)

In the future consider running a sterile reservoir or a really good beneficial bacteria. I have yet to find bacteria that actually works, though, so I run my hydro's on bleach.

AeroponicApparatus

AeroponicApparatus

Thank you all for your input. I picked up some Physan 20, and increased air flow. Fortunately, they're exposed to fresh air constantly. I'll do the aluminum foil covers over pods, and port that houses ph down line/thermometer/pump. I really want to keep this plant, as it has had a great smell that has only grown stronger and skunkier day by day.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Thank you all for your input. I picked up some Physan 20, and increased air flow. Fortunately, they're exposed to fresh air constantly. I'll do the aluminum foil covers over pods, and port that houses ph down line/thermometer/pump. I really want to keep this plant, as it has had a great smell that has only grown stronger and skunkier day by day.
What do you have in your net pots? It sorta looks like coco or dirt in your net pot. Also make sure your net pots are not submerged in water and for future grows only use clay pebbles for a medium in your net pots if anything at all. Just make sure you keep light from getting down in there while allowing good air flow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom