Boveda question for the masses!!!

• Thread starter Fairytalez
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Sounds good but I typically hang dry whole and can judge the perfect time to bag and cure so I know the humidity and how the process is curing by smell and other signs I'll know to burp more or less and how to proceed at the days and weeks go on and when I have a nice clean smooth smoke with all the chlorophyll and sugars leached out boveda packs go in to just preserve and maintain moisture at the end of the day if you don't find the answers here you could always do half with packs and half traditional method
Yeah.. I just might have to do that it seems. I'm probably gonna decide to start off doing it like most people do with throwing a Boveda 62% in there day one of cure, and use those burping lids. I am deciding if I even need those little hygrometers at all. Since the packet is gonna keep it around or at 62% RH. Not to mention the fact that I've seen a bunch of reviews of people stating these mini hygrometers are all over the place in their measurements. So yeah.. probably just gonna go with the Boveda 62% in with the burping lids.
Oh and almost forgot! Question! Does it really even have to be a jar? Couldn't I like.. just get a shoebox size or maybe a bit bigger.. Tupperware with sealing lid.. and just throw in a couple packs inside of it, and just burp accordingly? I mean.. I've got a TON of jars (From previous shroom grow), so I got those out the wang. But was just curious if it really even needs to BE a jar at all. Why couldn't it be a big Tupperware?

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Yeah.. I just might have to do that it seems. I'm probably gonna decide to start off doing it like most people do with throwing a Boveda 62% in there day one of cure, and use those burping lids. I am deciding if I even need those little hygrometers at all. Since the packet is gonna keep it around or at 62% RH. Not to mention the fact that I've seen a bunch of reviews of people stating these mini hygrometers are all over the place in their measurements. So yeah.. probably just gonna go with the Boveda 62% in with the burping lids.
Oh and almost forgot! Question! Does it really even have to be a jar? Couldn't I like.. just get a shoebox size or maybe a bit bigger.. Tupperware with sealing lid.. and just throw in a couple packs inside of it, and just burp accordingly? I mean.. I've got a TON of jars (From previous shroom grow), so I got those out the wang. But was just curious if it really even needs to BE a jar at all. Why couldn't it be a big Tupperware?
Honestly I pack everything in huge zip locks and put in 5 gallon buckets much cheaper and clean than jars 🤪if it can keep paint from drying out it will be good enough for my medicine 😉 and I'd be careful to not contaminate ur buds with potential shroom spores lol

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

Honestly I pack everything in huge zip locks and put in 5 gallon buckets much cheaper and clean than jars 🤪if it can keep paint from drying out it will be good enough for my medicine 😉 and I'd be careful to not contaminate ur buds with potential shroom spores lol
Oh no lol I thoroughly cleaned my jars. I grew shrooms like.. long ago. Jars just been sitting in boxes all this time. If anything I may need to get some new bands for them. No biggie. Really I'm just trying to find out what's the time for drying. I've heard 5 days, 7 days, 7 to 10 days, 14 days. And then I wanna know how to properly cure. Like.. ok so I think 62% is the Boveda I'm gonna use. But.. do I drop it in on day one when the bud FIRST goes into the jars? Do I burp with Boveda packs in the jars (even though Boveda says you don't have to with their packs)? Do I just jar the buds and burp properly (still don't know how often), and store in those jars for X amount of time and THEN put the Boveda in there? Sooo many ways people do this. I'm just trying to get the general consensus really I guess. And I don't know if I can do this on here or not but.. I wonder if I can make a vote setup. To see how many people vote for this or that method. LOTSSS of ignorance here. I seek direction :)

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

I usually bag to cure when even the buds at top of canopy snap if anything is still springy or flexible it isent dry enough when everything goes into the bags all will evenly humidifie again then once it's bagged I burp 2-3 times a day I go by smell if when opened smells gassy like something is fermenting and I'm not saying something offensive but you could tell need fresh air to off gas I'd bump from 2x a day to 3x I wouldn't more to prevent too much loss of moisture in a short period. After week 1 I'd burp 2x and by week 3 once a day after week 3 I'd start calming down when its ready it will smell much sweeter or more true and the smoke shouldn't be so harsh I'd keep curing and burping in that sequence untill ash isent so dark and smoke is smooth once you have those results boveda goes in 😉 this is the way I do it hope it helps

Fairytalez

Fairytalez

I usually bag to cure when even the buds at top of canopy snap if anything is still springy or flexible it isent dry enough when everything goes into the bags all will evenly humidifie again then once it's bagged I burp 2-3 times a day I go by smell if when opened smells gassy like something is fermenting and I'm not saying something offensive but you could tell need fresh air to off gas I'd bump from 2x a day to 3x I wouldn't more to prevent too much loss of moisture in a short period. After week 1 I'd burp 2x and by week 3 once a day after week 3 I'd start calming down when its ready it will smell much sweeter or more true and the smoke shouldn't be so harsh I'd keep curing and burping in that sequence untill ash isent so dark and smoke is smooth once you have those results boveda goes in 😉 this is the way I do it hope it helps
Awesome! Thanks bud. So like.. I hang my buds in my room on hangers. What do I keep the RH and temp at for drying?
After they dry for around 10 or so days, check to make sure even the tops crack. No spongy.. spongy bad lol
Next IF it cracked, stick them in jars with a mini hygrometer. First week.. burp 3 times a day. Second week.. twice a day. Third week.. once a day. After that.. make sure everything is right and throw a Boveda in there. Right?

sambapati

sambapati

Awesome! Thanks bud. So like.. I hang my buds in my room on hangers. What do I keep the RH and temp at for drying?
After they dry for around 10 or so days, check to make sure even the tops crack. No spongy.. spongy bad lol
Next IF it cracked, stick them in jars with a mini hygrometer. First week.. burp 3 times a day. Second week.. twice a day. Third week.. once a day. After that.. make sure everything is right and throw a Boveda in there. Right?
Everything is good in the discussion, however, I have always used paper bags initially B4 putting them in the jars. The bags (use the same ones over and over) for a week to 10 days, then the jarring and burping as @AlfaDog suggests above. I don't shove all the buds into one bag either. I have smaller bags and keep the bigger buds separate to help ensure there is no mold. Try for 60 degrees and 60% humidity and NO LIGHTS. Also store the jars in a cool and dark area....until time to roll and rock

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

If you could get the temps down to 65ish and humidity at 60%, you could stretch drying for 14days easily the point is a long slow drying anything fast like 5days might have a big negative impact on final product leaving it smell like hay and taste like shit but you might recover with the help of boveda and long curing in this situation ...no fan hitting the buds you just want airflow that is why I turn a fan into the corner and hitting the wall. But honestly if temps are hard to get down it's not the end of the world I have temps at 72-74 right now for my drying at 60% humidity I'm gonna private message you a link hope this could help

Top Bottom