Breeding for whorls

• Thread starter Sativied
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I've been doing some time traveling and I found several predecessors of dutch coffeeshops, and the queen of coffeeshops :)

http://www.anecdote-films.com/milasjourney/milajansen.html

If anyone deserves the title of the fathers of the dutch cannabis scene and what makes Amsterdam Amsterdam for cannabis uses it is Robert Jasper Grootveld, left from Mila in pic above, and Kees Hoekert.

From wiki
"The Provos sought to provoke the police in non-violent ways, aiming to shatter the self-righteousness of the authorities. Led by Grootveld, the Provos began a disinformation campaign to demonstrate the establishment's complete ignorance on the subject of cannabis. The Provos set out to get busted for "consuming" tea, hay, or herbs instead of marijuana. The Provos would often call the police on themselves.

"One day a whole group of us went by bus to Belgium," says Grootveld. "Of course I had informed my friend Houweling [police officer] that some elements might take some pot along. At the border, the cops and customs were waiting for us. Followed by the press, we were taken away for a thorough search. The poor cops...all they could find was dogfood and some legal herbs. 'Marijuana is dogfood,' joked the papers the next day. After that, the cops decided to refrain from hassling us in the future, afraid of more blunders."

Grootveld and the artist Fred Wessels also opened the "Afrikaanse Druk Stoor," where they sold both real and fake marijuana
."

He started the Lowlands Weed Company with Kees Hoekert in the early 60s already.

"Every weekend in 1962, I paid a visit to a police officer named Houweling," explains Grootveld. "During these visits, I often dressed like an American Indian. We always had very friendly chats about marijuana. Houweling didn't know anything about it, so I could tell him anything I wanted."
http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/HT_provos_0190.html/

(In dutch... but shows the very first openly tolerated places where cannabis plants were grown in Amsterdam).
"Grow your own cannabis, leave the rest...[heroine]"

Some more views of their "grow space" in first minute or so here:

The others who started the first coffeeshops as we've known them since, were house-dealers in youth center and festivals. Specifically, Wernard Bruining (founder Mellow Yellow 1972) and Maarten Brusselers (founder Rusland 1975, first shop with a license) were house dealers at the Melkweg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melkweg
and the founder of the Bull Dog was a dealer at some woodstock-inspired festival.

Back in the early 90s we moved to a small town up north where people swore they got high from smoking thea or bananas... Never knew the origin of that myth till today, something Wernard heard and called his shop Mellow Yellow...

Wernard, Kees Hoekert and a few others formed the green team in the late 70s and invited Old Ed in 79 and Sam and Ed Rosenthal mid 80s. http://olded.nl/Old Ed geschiedenis.html

So much change caused by a relatively small amount of people.

"At the core of Grootveld's philosophy was the belief that the masses had been brainwashed into becoming a herd of addicted consumers."

We could use a few more like him these days...

Oh, and Kees Hoekert on FB with more info and pics too https://nl-nl.facebook.com/keeshoekert/info/?entry_point=page_nav_about_item&tab=page_info

Last edited:
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
That's so cool about Grootveld and the Provos pranking the man;
I just heard a report about how yer getting rid of all yer prisons--
and you folks had to import Norwegian prisoners to keep one open...

Back in the early 90s we moved to a small town up north where people swore they got high from smoking thea or bananas... Never knew the origin of that myth till today, something Wernard heard and called his shop Mellow Yellow...
After Donovan released "Mellow Yellow" in 1967,
everybody had to try bananas at least once--
those without an herb connection tried it all the time Heh...

Born-a high forever to fly
A-wind-a velocity nil
Born-a high forever to fly
If you want, your cup I will fill

They call me mellow yellow (Quite rightly)
They call me mellow yellow (Quite rightly)
They call me mellow yellow

So mellow yellow

Electrical banana
Is gonna be a sudden craze
Electrical banana
Is bound to be the very next phase

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
ADDENDUMB

Folks ask: "Does it work"???
Well,it worked for us,
but not in the way you'd think.

The Establishment thought smoking banana peels was funny,
and not a danger to society (besides, it'd keep 'em off the pot).

Starting with the evening news programs that ran humorous bits
and then the Dick Cavet/Johnny Carson late night shows,
parents and that generation accepted smoking banana peels;
and so did the cops!!!

Those still living with their parents had the excuse:
that's just banana peels;
and the same with the man:
"But that's just bananas officer";
an' none of 'em knew the difference,
well--
almost none of 'em...

Last edited:
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Panxpck

That's Panama x PCK, two twins. Twins in all combinations of Panama, SH, and PCK, so it appears it's a result of something I've done. Could be what I did different this time, I pollinated the same buds several times with several days in between, excessively because pollination didn't appear as successful the first time as usual.

Panama x SH, the 2.5-cot I expected would whorl fast:
Tricott

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Had a bit of a slow start, tried to keep the plants small while I continued to pop seeds, wanted to see if there were more tricots. Time to veg-top-clone-veg-flower some plants.

Pink PCK x Silver Haze (in soil)

Panama x Silver Haze (hempy)

I've been smoking the panama and SH and combination of the two for the past week and it smells up my place so nicely...

Notice the difference in serration between the two crosses, the pck x sh (indica dom) teeth curve more along with the leaf edge, while in the panama x SH (sativa dom) they are longer and point more outwards.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Panama x PCK red, 11 of them, includes 2 twins.
Panxpck2

I've been having a twilight zone experience with perlite... but finally found a bag. Time to pot those up and give them more than half an inch medium. Should be able to sex the Panama x SH and pink pck x SH shortly (will post some pics of those soon too), removing some males, and then I'll add these. Also have a small hindu kush female going I will pollinate with the red PCK.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Some of the panama x silver haze plants:
Upsidedown

Male

Still need to top this female (she's in a larger bottle now)
Favfemale

This is Pink PCK x Silver Haze. Nice to see it inherited the darker green from the PCK as I hoped, instead of the more pale SH.
Smaller

Tri-whorled:
Pinksh4

Self-topping:
Pinksh6

Pinksh5

Fasciating:
Fasciated

Not going to use this one in any case...
Fasciated2

I used those half bottles because I had a lot of seedlings going. Wasn't able to get perlite for a while so things got out of hand a bit.

Now that I uploaded the pics I see I picked mostly freaks and weirdos... I got a few very pretty Panama x SH which if they keep going like this I will use for a quantity round with clones.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Pink PCK x SH:
Darkbeauty

Beauty

No idea if I put this on the plant or whether it's actually oozing pink...
Oozer

Hindu Kush female I'm trying to pollinate with the red PCK:
Hindukush2

Hindukush

Mostly Panama x SH. I've kept the low intensity mh light above it longer than usual causing them to stretch a lot. Just switched to 12/12 and expect things will get worse.
Total

Tftleds

- a 1.8" color display with ambient temp, humidity, current time, cob temps, light intensity and fan speed.
- sensors to collect the above data
- an SD slot with card to which the above data is logged
- remote control (on/off, fan +/-, light +/-, LCD on/off, flower/veg schedule)
- usb connection for software updates
- adaptive fan cooling (boost/dim fans based on heat sink temp and light intensity)
- soft start and soft end, or ramp up/down as the aquarium folks call it ( goes from 20-100% during first X minutes, like 60 or 90, in the morning, and dims at the end of the day for Y minutes.
- timer and relay for lights on/off schedule
- 300watt when running at 100%, including light, brain and fans. Still a work in progress, no specifics about "light" yet.
- a ton of wiring...

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

MR SAT-Man-do it all
what is up my friend.... Been doing your ART work I seez, and some mightly fine art it is ! ! !
Summer classes have had takin its toll on the J-man NEVER again...
sticking to 15 week classes The push to finnish in 9 is too much fer this ol man.
any whoot the flower room suffered this round as well as the older ladies in the Stable but will be back on point soon I just wanted to swing through with my support bro and Well wishes to you and yaz ladies of green..
Super farmer Vibes
FlyJ

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Panama x Silver Haze

Pink PCK x Silver Haze

No sign of colors yet, but appears to become a frosty one taking after mom. I flowered the red pck again to pollinate the hindu kush and it didn't get as intense red as last time. Main difference is temperature, summer will be over again here soon so if the males and females in the cross need lower night temps they will get it before this cycle is over.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Thanks for sharing, funny how the three branches share the same petiole and fan leaf, never seen that before.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Pink PCK x SH, that is, pink(PCKxSH)
Pinksh success3

Pinksh success

Another one with hints of pink , the PCK itself started like this too.
Pinksh success2

Panama x SH:
Femalethe2

Pink PCK x SH top right and mid left, rest is Panama x SH.
FemaleB

Panama rerun (in hempy under HPS before, under led in soil now).
PanamaTake2

Going to pollinate a good part of it with pollen from panama x SH to make a backcross. Stretchy but smells great already.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Wineballs
Pinksh success5

Sister with hints of pink, I expect it will become more colorful soon.
Pinksh success4

Panama x SH, nr 26, smells just perfect, like Panama x SH... like SSH but different, oriental incense haze with a hint of afghani.
Femalethe4

Femalethe3

Femalethe5

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Hindu Kush:
Hindukush7

\
Hindukush8

It's been under T8, MH, sunlight and LED... Pollinated it with the red PCK and later decided to hit a small branch with some pink PCK x SH pollen. Smells very sweet for a kush, very narrow leaflets in the colas too. I will backcross the red PCK x HK results to the red pck again, or maybe a purple female.

Panama:
Panamaclone rerun6

About to pollinate the panama with (panama x SH pollen). The panama x SH is just great. Tall and stretchy but smells so good. I may do a run from clones next just to fill the jars.

Panama x SH:
Satdom

Tallest, and either low yielder or very slow flowering, but pretty nonetheless:
Prettygirl

PCK x SH is looking really nice, dark from itself, frosty, beautiful leaves, but even though the top bud is nice they will clearly need a few generations to beef up yield.
Pinksh frostydark

Pinksh success frosty2

Obvious favorite PCK x SH:
Pinksh success frosty1

Favorite Panama x SH, #26, leaf shape very much like the Panama, slender leaflets but not very long. Plus it has the most dense flowers :)
Fav

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Tallest, and either low yielder or very slow flowering, but pretty nonetheless:
Correction... Just looked at the pot below the plant and it's in soil, which means it pck x sh and not panama x sh. Explains the small flowers compared to the rest but those beautiful leaves are nothing like the parents. Not pink, won't make the selection.
Slender

Pollinated a few buds on this panama x sh female and a very similar one, with pollen from the most vigorous male.

Femalethe6

Femalethe7

Pollinated some lower flowers on the pink pck x sh with a mix of pollen from two male pck x sh plants. Unfortunately no pink males to use. I got plenty of pink pck x sh seeds and will pop some of those F1 to together with the F2. It's getting frostier every day, more intense color too.

Topviewpink

Pinkabax

Pinksh success frosty3

I'm probably not going to run those next round though. Pretty sure that's going to be panama x sh from clones, from F1 again, F2, and/or BC1. Love the whorlers, love the wineballs project, but these panama x SH smell and look so good...

Flowerss

Frostydark

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Correction... Just looked at the pot below the plant and it's in soil, which means it pck x sh and not panama x sh. Explains the small flowers compared to the rest but those beautiful leaves are nothing like the parents. Not pink, won't make the selection.
View attachment 631442

Pollinated a few buds on this panama x sh female and a very similar one, with pollen from the most vigorous male.

View attachment 631441
View attachment 631446

Pollinated some lower flowers on the pink pck x sh with a mix of pollen from two male pck x sh plants. Unfortunately no pink males to use. I got plenty of pink pck x sh seeds and will pop some of those F1 to together with the F2. It's getting frostier every day, more intense color too.

View attachment 631443
View attachment 631447
View attachment 631448

I'm probably not going to run those next round though. Pretty sure that's going to be panama x sh from clones, from F1 again, F2, and/or BC1. Love the whorlers, love the wineballs project, but these panama x SH smell and look so good...

View attachment 631444
View attachment 631445
They definitely looking amazing. Nice job Sati!

ReddEyez

ReddEyez

Im trying to get caught up here Satived, lol. Your garden looks amazing man! Some of the prettiest ladies I have seen online. Major props on your breeding and all around grow skills and knowledge. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your garden. It is greatly appreciated. Hope all is well in your world. Be safe man.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Hey @ReddEyez, thanks for kind words and appreciation, and welcome to the farm :)

They definitely looking amazing. Nice job Sati!
Thanks man, am very happy with the results of the Ace crosses so far. As I mentioned a few months ago I may just have to cross the PCK x SH with the Panama x SH, as in merge the latter into the wineballs project and create a pink Panama x SH.

As you perhaps remember the cannalope haze I used for the P cross, the strong pinene variety, was never hazy enough. I made a new P-F2 earlier this year and I think crossing that one with the panama x SH BC1 could make a great F1. A dark green Panama x SH. Pine haze. Haven't selected for whorlers in the P cross but it is offspring from the same quad male so I may be able to make a lot of progress over the next 3-4 cycles.

Top Bottom