Brown spots spreading fast, help!

• Thread starter nopami
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Sure! So here are the ones I use, all organic from the Biobizz brand.

Biogrow

View attachment 2004193

BioBloom
View attachment 2004194

Top Max
View attachment 2004195

Bio Heaven
View attachment 2004196

And I’m following this schedule. Keep in mind I have used the AllMix soil which is said to be heavily prefertilised. I’m also adding Calmag for the past week.

View attachment 2004198

One thing probably worth mentioning is that about 10 days ago, I noticed some of the top leaves clawing - or at least that is the conclusion I reached from the research I made. And it was said to be a nitrogen excess. Sooo out of precaution (and I probably shouldn’t have) I decided to flush it with tap water to remove any excess nitrogen. After that I started feeding again normally, per schedule… That sounds like it was a dumb idea given that now I’m likely having deficiencies… woops.

Generally, with the current weather, I water every other day when the soil gets dry and the pot is very light. I water about 3 Litres of water (slowly, over a period of about 1 hour). If I water any more than this it starts running off so seems to be the right amount of water. I add nutes with every watering, as per manufacturer recommendation.
I’m almost certain that when you flushed your medium, that spurned the issue. In stead of a flush next time, throw a water feed in between nutrient feeds, it will help remove and make available the surplus of excess nutrients. I feel like you may have just over corrected here. Keep giving cal mag, add the castings, and maybe give one more hearty veg feed, nitrogen dominant.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

That's not calcium or magnesium. I would think it's more of a pH issue. You want to be closer to 6 than 7 for sure. That's why when you check run off it's closer to 6. That's where the plants thrive at for optimal nutrient uptake of all elements is 6.3 pH. Leaf septoria isn't brown it's little white spots all over your leaves. I deal with it every year in my area. It's literally the only thing you can't treat. Nothing helps it except keeping your plants out of the rain with a cover. You need to get a pH meter if your really wanting to grow your own cannabis. It's one of the most important tools you can own.

N

nopami

I’m almost certain that when you flushed your medium, that spurned the issue. In stead of a flush next time, throw a water feed in between nutrient feeds, it will help remove and make available the surplus of excess nutrients. I feel like you may have just over corrected here. Keep giving cal mag, add the castings, and maybe give one more hearty veg feed, nitrogen dominant.
Ok yes that makes sense, thanks a lot for the advice, won’t repeat that same mistake. I will go ahead with a hearty feed and the castings. At least sounds like it is salvageable… 🤞

What confuses me is that top fan leaves show dark tips, which I always thought was a sign of excess 🤪
IMG 2318

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
That's not calcium or magnesium. I would think it's more of a pH issue. You want to be closer to 6 than 7 for sure. That's why when you check run off it's closer to 6. That's where the plants thrive at for optimal nutrient uptake of all elements is 6.3 pH. Leaf septoria isn't brown it's little white spots all over your leaves. I deal with it every year in my area. It's literally the only thing you can't treat. Nothing helps it except keeping your plants out of the rain with a cover. You need to get a pH meter if your really wanting to grow your own cannabis. It's one of the most important tools you can own.
This is true too, my initial thought was that, but after going through his regimen, his runoff isn’t way out of whack or anything, if your ph is a little lower In the soil than the optimal spectrum, a 7.0 feed will offset that. It seems like he is ok there. But I could be wrong.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

How's much CalMg are you giving it? That last picture almost looks like excess calcium with the browning edges.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

This is true too, my initial thought was that, but after going through his regimen, his runoff isn’t way out of whack or anything, if your ph is a little lower In the soil than the optimal spectrum, a 7.0 feed will offset that. It seems like he is ok there. But I could be wrong.
The run off shows that the plants root zone is about perfect. 6.3 is considered the perfect pH for Coco and soil. Cannabis is very resilient in correcting the pH of it's root zone as long as your between 6 and 7 pH but you really need to shoot for the same pH every time plus or minus .1 at most. Remember that .1 is 10x stronger or weaker and every 1 whole point is 100x stronger. With pH drops it's very easy to swing your pH because of how hard it is to get an accurate reading.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
The run off shows that the plants root zone is about perfect. 6.3 is considered the perfect pH for Coco and soil. Cannabis is very resilient in correcting the pH of it's root zone as long as your between 6 and 7 pH but you really need to shoot for the same pH every time plus or minus .1 at most. Remember that .1 is 10x stronger or weaker and every 1 whole point is 100x stronger. With pH drops it's very easy to swing your pH because of how hard it is to get an accurate reading.
Word, but lack of magnesium does contribute to leaf fade. 100%

IMG 7513
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
That where neutral ph solution at 7.0 helps to calibrate your findings.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

Actually, looking closer, that might be chloramine excess. Also looks like white spots on the leaves that turn brown but it could be just minor bug stipules. I would certainly check to see if they use chlorine or chloramine in the water supply. Soft water doesn't tell you anything honestly. Their "soft" could be 200 ppms for all you know. Hopefully you figure it out man. ✌🏻

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Actually, looking closer, that might be chloramine excess. Also looks like white spots on the leaves that turn brown but it could be just minor bug stipules. I would certainly check to see if they use chlorine or chloramine in the water supply. Soft water doesn't tell you anything honestly. Their "soft" could be 200 ppms for all you know. Hopefully you figure it out man. ✌🏻
I didn’t even consider that, you may be on to something there. I usually let any water I use from the tap sit for a day or so, just to make sure I’m not dosing my ladies with funk from the water treatment plant. This is def a possibility too.

I_GROW_SKUNK

I_GROW_SKUNK

That where neutral ph solution at 7.0 helps to calibrate your findings.
At 7, your not uptaking magnesium as efficiently. And calcium, sulfur and a slew of minor elements as well. I would stay with the basics and check your water source first. Chloramine excess is that brown rust spot looking stuff too. Also, count how many drops you use to correct your pH and try to stay within that level. The one thing cannabis likes with it's water is consistency. You can use 8.5 pH bottled spring water, just as long as you always use the same source, i.e. same pH, and your mostly fine. Ran a whole tent on it before and it was just fine because it was consistently the same 8.5 pH. If you do use worm castings, I would use a microbial inoculant like Recharge or Rootwise. That gets the microbes in there breaking down everything for your plant to easily intake the nutrients.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
what I was meaning by the neutral solution is that, if you use it with you ph tool, ensure your gear is working correctly, and not reading wrong. That’s what I was meaning. A lot of the cheaper probes go wacky fast…..

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Also, if you have high calcium, that you want to work out, you can cut the cal mag, and use just epsom salts, that will aid in a magnesium deficiency without overdosing calcium. Just fyi,

T

TinFoilHat

What would you recommend?
I'd recommend hitting them with a dose of grow nutes(liquid or tea made from Dr Earth). Sorry for the delay...I have a job unlike most of these jokers lol. im a clown.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nopami

Mmmh interesting, I haven’t thought of that. Although I did read that chloramine has to be in crazy high amounts to affect the plant. In my case, this is what the local authority publishes regarding our tap water:
IMG 2320

Out of precaution I will start leaving the water to sit for 24h before watering.

And here is another suspicious leaf. Although to be fair I also had a spider mites and thrips attack - which thankfully were taken care of by wild ladybugs. So some of the white spots I think are from the pests.
IMG 2321

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom