Brown Stuff on Roots DWC

• Thread starter Sponty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sponty

Sponty

Good afternoon/morning.

I checked my plant recently to monitor the pH & eC levels and when I pulled the plant out the DWC system the roots has some brown things on it.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what this is and if it's a problem? Apologies for the bad photos!

All the best!
Brown stuff on roots dwc

Brown stuff on roots dwc 2
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I'm not a hydro grower but it looks like the roots are sick. Is your air supply good in the water?

Sponty

Sponty

I'm not a hydro grower but it looks like the roots are sick. Is your air supply good in the water?
I thought it was but to be honest, I'm not sure. I smashed an air stone a couple days and have replaced it with one of similar size and shape. I could try add two stones into the one system maybe...

Do you think it would clear itself up with more oxygen?

Sponty

Sponty

This is the supply of air... I don't know if it's enough or not I'm new to this myself.

Choppr

Choppr

? sterile or non? highest logged water temps? what additives? what nutrient line? are you adding molasses or some other black gunk she doesnt need? Are you running good Myco's to out-colonize bad Myco's (bacillus amylolique faciens) Hydrogaurd? Southern Ag? pH / EC/ ppms -

Sponty

Sponty

? sterile or non? highest logged water temps? what additives? what nutrient line? are you adding molasses or some other black gunk she doesnt need? Are you running good Myco's to out-colonize bad Myco's (bacillus amylolique faciens) Hydrogaurd? Southern Ag? pH / EC/ ppms -
Oh blimey um, I'd like to say I'm as sterile as I can be. I clean down tools with alcohol, wear gloves etc. Water temps I'm unsure about, that's the last thing I need which I'm getting this coming weekend. Usually is around 13°c at night and around 19°c+ during the day. I don't know what molasses is unfortunately I'm very new to this. I'm just adding the Shogun range of nutrients.
• Hydro grow A + B
• Silicon
Cal-Mag
• Zenzym
• Katana Roots.
I'm also unsure what Hydroguard is but I've heard it's something I should have got and missed from my own stupidity.

eC is kept around 1.5-1.6
pH is kept around 6.5-7.0

Anything else I'd be clueless to give you unfortunately. Hope this helps!

Choppr

Choppr

There are 2 ways to run Sterile(w/bleaches/peroxides added to res) or Non Sterile - you are running non sterile! If your hitting temps above 75F you are breeding bad microbes(pythium), You can breed colonies of good microbes to act as myco-assassins, or out colonize them - Southern Ag Fungicide contains Bacillus Amylolique Faciens - more research...good luck

Choppr

Choppr

Looks Like Rot, you can Prune it out, (scissor cut out about 1 inch above the infected area)that will only slow it down.. I would suggest the Southern Ag Fungicide Product I mentioned, Its cheaper and more Concentrated than the Hydro Guard, but either will work. You may have to dip the roots in a Diluted Water/Peroxide solution, then do a water change, adding the Bacillus Product?. You can PM me if you get stuck..

Sponty

Sponty

Looks Like Rot, you can Prune it out, (scissor cut out about 1 inch above the infected area)that will only slow it down.. I would suggest the Southern Ag Fungicide Product I mentioned, Its cheaper and more Concentrated than the Hydro Guard, but either will work. You may have to dip the roots in a Diluted Water/Peroxide solution, then do a water change, adding the Bacillus Product?. You can PM me if you get stuck..
Thank you for all this information. Seems like I've missed a few things I didn't know about. When you say prune it about 1 inch from the infection would you say where I've marked in the photo would be the correct area?

When you say running sterile with bleach/peroxide does this mean cleaning the tank out with these products?
Would this also have anything to do with the oxygen levels in the system?

Last question so sorry.
When you say dip the roots in water/peroxide solution do you literally mean quickly dip or let it soak a while?

So sorry I'm trying to learn as much as I can without killing my plants.

IMG 20230918 212314851 HDR2
jdog22

jdog22

should check out root roids it might help :) a few videos on youtube about it. ment to be great for root rot. but im not too sure, you decide :)

Sponty

Sponty

should check out root roids it might help :) a few videos on youtube about it. ment to be great for root rot. but im not too sure, you decide :)
This was the root system last week. Crazy how quickly it changed. Not quite sure why. I'm going to assume water temps and oxygen levels.

IMG 20230913 203331790 HDR
IMG 20230918 212314851 HDR
jdog22

jdog22

that really changed didnt it, youll get it sorted :)
to be honest hats off to people who can grow hydro, from what i know its the hardest one indoor to pull off very unforgiving.

Choppr

Choppr

I think all of the roots are infected - I would try dipping before cutting - from memory I think I did 1:2 (1 part Peroxide to 2 parts water) dip the entire basket all the way up to 1 inch above the basket - then dunk roots in and out a few times so you know the roots were saturated, then just place her back into her clean water-changed rez. Did you get the So. Ag product yet?

Sponty

Sponty

I think all of the roots are infected - I would try dipping before cutting - from memory I think I did 1:2 (1 part Peroxide to 2 parts water) dip the entire basket all the way up to 1 inch above the basket - then dunk roots in and out a few times so you know the roots were saturated, then just place her back into her clean water-changed rez. Did you get the So. Ag product yet?
Okay here's what I've done. I went to my local growing shop to ask if they had either of the products you mentioned and unfortunately their supplier has stopped supplying them for quite a while now but they had some alternatives.

I showed the man running the shop what I was after and what the problem was and he directed me to few different products but highly recommended a certain one for my problem. He did give the disease a name however it has slipped my mind. Anyways, I ended up getting a bottle of something called 'Silver Bullet' and told me how to use it.

I got home and mixed up a new Res of nutrients and mixed this 'Silver Bullet' in and pH'd. While I was doing this the plant sat in a plain water solution getting dipped in and out. I couldn't even get hold of a bottle of this peroxide unfortunately so I've done what I can hoping for the best.

The man in the shop said it's not too bad and could maybe sort itself out with this 'Silver Bullet' stuff. I'm just hoping for the best now. If it doesn't work I'll have to find this Peroxide you're talking about.

IMG 20230919 230544346
Choppr

Choppr

That is A Hydrogen Peroxide Product. It will kill good microbes and bad - You will then be running Sterile. You need to Do your research and Decide what type of System you want to run? Sterile is with bleaches and Peroxides always in the System. Non Sterile is Natural Living System using Microbes to keep the Rhizome Healthy. (Youtube/Google) good luck

K

Kamisama

Do u use something like great white? That should help too in hydro. Or use peroxide 35% 4ml/gallon, its cheapier than that silver bullet I think. Should be around 5usd per liter in your local chem lab.

Sponty

Sponty

Re-charged the res last night and soaked and dipped the plant in the meantime. Checked this morning and I can say it's looking a lot healthier this morning. A lot of the brown crap has gone away.

I'll change the Res again in a couple of days to make sure there's no dead roots or crap floating around.

I'm going to do some research about Sterile and non-sterile systems to try get my head around what happened a bit more. Good time to learn how to fix things and the causes for things!

IMG 20230920 062628258
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Hydro is tough but they grow like bat's out of hell when they get dialed in. Looks like some dro people helped you out! I bet you feel better. Stay vigilant and keep us updated on your grow. Hydro facinates me, im a living soil guy though

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
That is A Hydrogen Peroxide Product. It will kill good microbes and bad - You will then be running Sterile. You need to Do your research and Decide what type of System you want to run? Sterile is with bleaches and Peroxides always in the System. Non Sterile is Natural Living System using Microbes to keep the Rhizome Healthy. (Youtube/Google) good luck
The non sterile sounds terrifying with how fast things go south, I bet the terps are great though with the microbes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom