Bubba's House - Light Dep, Climate Controlled, Blumats

• Thread starter BubbaG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bulldog11

Bulldog11

@PHEN your funny, lol. I wont bring it up again. :)

Hey Bulldog, did you do plumbing also, inside sinks and drains?

A!"

Not yet, it's on my to do list. I want to install gutters on both sides of the greenhouse with water collection tanks. Here is a video I want to copy.

I will also be installing a sink with a work bench so I can have a place to work without having to bend down. That I will just drain off the side of the hill. I'm all organic and don't pollute much. I will probably route that sink drain to some flowers or something fun. Need the work bench also to house my wireless repeaters so I have internet down at the greenhouse. I get zero good radio stations, and no cell service.

BubbaG

BubbaG

Bro, I work to lots of codes, several of which are contradictory. Precedence already set anyways in the neighborhood. I'm building such that if someone wants to be an asshole I will be able to pull a permit.. done checked it all out - been down to talk with the town permit ladies and such

Update:
My greenhouse has been in production a couple weeks and will probably ship next week. Still don't have the foundation in... too much fucking snow.

Here's the gals headed for the gh. Popped seeds on Xmas day. Timing should be perfect to move these plants to beds in the gh in a few weeks..... they're in #8s right now.... not real pleased with me as they were just transplanted and were root bound pretty bad

BubbaG

BubbaG

Ok, dey happy again for a couple more weeks till they root bind in the #8s - blumats rule for root growth.

This is at 8 weeks of veg....

headed for 14-16 weeks before I flip... mostly thats due to the timing on the greenhouse, which will be unloaded at my shop next week - coming on a flatbed semi..... it's more shit than I thought lol. I will have to gooseneck trailer it to the house :)

Neighbor is gonna shit lol... she looks like the church lady from snl

BubbaG

BubbaG

Foundations. Decided on piers - may fill in a pad later. Tired me out just unloading this crap. Next weekend renting an auger and mixer and knocking it out. I will also have the greenhouse on the ground by then - coming Wednesday.

north knect

north knect

Good Stuff man..ur girls are goin to me monsters by the end..I'm subbed in for this one for sure ..++vibes n happy fArming :D

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

this has the makings of a fantastic thread.

i'm interested to see how it un folds. Good Luck!

BubbaG

BubbaG

Thanks guys. My crew shows up to dig the piers Saturday... I hope. Then I'm having a lil get together on Sunday to start figuring out how to erect :p the greenhouse. It's all bolted galvanized structural steel - will go together with 1/2" impacts. Might have to rent a Genie for the ridge - gonna be 16' at the peak lol... taller than is wide or deep... gonna be Dr Seussish but that'll mean 8-10' of growing headroom underneath the light dep clockwork and lights..

Ok now for the question.... if I haven't lost your interest already. I'm thinking of building my beds out of light gauge angle iron and expanded metal. I need to fab (3) 2'x10'x24"deep raised beds.... maybe 6" above grade to allow air underneath.... then line with smartpot cloth - they'll make you any size you want.... Stainless would be nice for the metal ... be pricey though... with blumats runoff will be nonexistent so regular carbon steel, sandblasted primed and painted would last fine too methink

What do you all think? Am I nuts? I'm a pretty decent welder / metal fab guy.... would be cake to build

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

go for it BubbaG!

sounds like you got the know how and help. it's a massive undertaking but more than worth it when its set up.

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

btw, im getting into Blumats. Good to see them working for you. I may have some questions in a few weeks once i set some up. First time for everything. I was paranoid about them for years after hearing enough complaints online about them underwatering, but then again the machine is only as good as the driver is...

420circuit

420circuit

Why raise them? The commercial folks all seem to have their beds on terra firma. I would be concerned about creating a habitat for nasties under the beds, rodents, bugs, mold and such. If 2' depth is your goal, I'd look to redwood 2x12s and rebar stakes, maybe get creative with Simpson ties, why re-invent the wheel? The simplest way is usually the best... I think using treated lumber is probably a bad idea because of chemicals leaching into the soil, but if the beds are lined with plastic, you could use most any lumber. There is a nice looking bed design on the Simpson website, it has a sill around the top, nice idea.
Planter

BubbaG

BubbaG

:p @420c where is your sense of adventure.... gonna do something, do it right and try to make it better.. don't fix what ain't broke means a flat growth curve on production. R&D my man!!!

It's on the ground in my backyard

This is just the double wall polycarbonate panels. About a full 25' van truck load full with all 3 pallets

realeyes

realeyes

Thanks guys. My crew shows up to dig the piers Saturday... I hope. Then I'm having a lil get together on Sunday to start figuring out how to erect :p the greenhouse. It's all bolted galvanized structural steel - will go together with 1/2" impacts. Might have to rent a Genie for the ridge - gonna be 16' at the peak lol... taller than is wide or deep... gonna be Dr Seussish but that'll mean 8-10' of growing headroom underneath the light dep clockwork and lights..

Ok now for the question.... if I haven't lost your interest already. I'm thinking of building my beds out of light gauge angle iron and expanded metal. I need to fab (3) 2'x10'x24"deep raised beds.... maybe 6" above grade to allow air underneath.... then line with smartpot cloth - they'll make you any size you want.... Stainless would be nice for the metal ... be pricey though... with blumats runoff will be nonexistent so regular carbon steel, sandblasted primed and painted would last fine too methink

What do you all think? Am I nuts? I'm a pretty decent welder / metal fab guy.... would be cake to build
great build and sweet construct!!
hey brother i am going thru the same problem myself .
i am on my third greenhouse and i think movable is nice but SET beds are the best.
go for it if your sure on the size you want your plants...
my county allows for ANY size three season structure so my steel hooper is 24 x 40 ;)

Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper

hope you're doing well with this build!

would love to see pics if you have time BubbaG. Really interested in greenhouses for next year so im grateful to learn from your experience:cool:

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Hey bubba ive seen some raised planters that had a steel frame with galvanized roof panels as the planter walls that were pretty cool,kind of like this,
Raised-Bed21.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTk5DKIlFi4q3IK-CSLLNsUNGcx2LlzQX-pZKhk01nb3IFRsuSq
https://encrypted-tbn1.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSc6cy4807oq7S0fFGMfP-CRmqpCQQJUSg1pVI1SjGHaDngEaP

BubbaG

BubbaG

Thanks man. I like the corrugated look - reasonable cost too. I want to use heavy gauge SS mesh so I can use fabric so it'll be like one huge smart pot.

Thanks to some help from a friend, the piers are in... been dreading that job for good reason lol

Also hired some fellas to compact a dump truck load of #7 road base for the floor.... With all the crushed concrete in that stuff, I never expect to have weed (haha I made a funny) issues - nothing will grow in that stuff.

BubbaG

BubbaG

More progress, dimensions on piers off a bit lol - /me=fucking stoner

I figure to have it together shortly now... Maybe this weekend even.... won't be a moment too soon.... Yeti is about to outgrow the basement

BubbaG

BubbaG

Much closer now.... I had to take a step back and correct some foundations that didn't shake out correctly (stoner) . The columns are now square and plumb, base plates are shimmed and leveled..... shit oughta fit now. Diaganol measurements within 1/8"... so she's a square box for sure at the base. Stringing tensioning cables now. Going to put the roof on tomorrow I hope.

Also picked up my 45g smart pots :) those are 12" piers in the background fyi

Top Bottom